Tree as 'health'

rosegold

I'm a little confused about the Tree, because I've read in some places that it means 'illness', and in others that it means 'health' in general, good or bad. How do you see it? I'd like to think it means health in general, and then just look at the surrounding cards to see if it is good or bad, but I don't know if that is the traditional way to read this card.

Also, I'm wondering if the Tree always means personal health, or if it could ever refer to the healthiness of a family/home environment, or the health of a business, etc. Any thoughts (or anecdotes) appreciated! :)

GryffinSong

I'll leave discussion of traditional meanings to those who are more familiar with Lenormand.

For me the tree is all about nature and growth and healing and freshness. Also about feeling grounded (roots), perhaps rooted in tradition or family. About being outdoors in the fresh air. About being flexible (trees that bend can survive a wind storm better than a stiff tree). About slow steady growth. Also about cycles, because of the seasonal changes that all but evergreens go through.

I would never see illness in a tree unless the image was of a dead tree, and even then I'd be inclined to think of winter rather than sickness.

lord_ewin

I'm a little confused about the Tree, because I've read in some places that it means 'illness', and in others that it means 'health' in general, good or bad. How do you see it? I'd like to think it means health in general, and then just look at the surrounding cards to see if it is good or bad, but I don't know if that is the traditional way to read this card.

Also, I'm wondering if the Tree always means personal health, or if it could ever refer to the healthiness of a family/home environment, or the health of a business, etc. Any thoughts (or anecdotes) appreciated! :)

Lenormand, traditionally is about how cards relate to one another. A tree surrounded by bad cards close to the querrent usually signifies illness, a tree surrounded by bad cards far from the querrent might mean the same thing, but it has less of an impact. The same applies to a tree close to the querrent. If it's not surrounded by bad cards, it symbolises good health, but far away from the querrent it could mean that the querrent might not be taking their health all that seriously.

Health in any case can be both physical and emotional / spiritual. It speaks of your foundations (Maslow comes to mind in psychology) and you are what you eat in health circles.

So, imagine your place in nature and how you should be in balance with it in order to be healthy (to grow solid). It also symbolises the symbiotic relationship with those around us. Te tree takes up nutrients from the soil to grow and breath CO2, and breaths out Oxigen... We on the other hand breath oxigen and breath out CO2... Think of an extremely negative person and how it affects the moods of others around them, then think of the happy people that do the same and you get an idea how spiritual health is also a factor on your surroundings.

Hope that helps,

LE

GryffinSong

That's beautiful, LE, and really helps me understand the tree better. :)

rosegold

For me the tree is all about nature and growth and healing and freshness. Also about feeling grounded (roots), perhaps rooted in tradition or family. About being outdoors in the fresh air. About being flexible (trees that bend can survive a wind storm better than a stiff tree). About slow steady growth. Also about cycles, because of the seasonal changes that all but evergreens go through.
I really like these interps, GryffinSong, they make perfect sense to me! :)
lord_ewin said:
Health in any case can be both physical and emotional / spiritual. It speaks of your foundations (Maslow comes to mind in psychology) and you are what you eat in health circles.

So, imagine your place in nature and how you should be in balance with it in order to be healthy (to grow solid). It also symbolises the symbiotic relationship with those around us. Te tree takes up nutrients from the soil to grow and breath CO2, and breaths out Oxigen... We on the other hand breath oxigen and breath out CO2... Think of an extremely negative person and how it affects the moods of others around them, then think of the happy people that do the same and you get an idea how spiritual health is also a factor on your surroundings.
Wow, LE, talk about food for thought! I vaguely remember studying Maslow's "pyramid of needs" in psychology. It reminds me that if needs are met, people thrive and grow, but if not, people get sick (physically, mentally, or however).

And who knew environmental science would ever be useful in reading oracles! :laugh: But it really does help. Thanks! :)

LunarLioness

Thanks for this GryffinSong, I use the Mystical deck and I often have trouble seeing it as illness unless it is paired with the coffin or cross....and even then it depends on the question I asked. The card has all these lovely coloured birds in the trees and playful bunnies underneath it - it kind of throws me a bit when thinking about the card as ill health! I often see the Tree as growth or 'growing up' or something that takes a while to happen at the moment because that seems to fit the cards imagery better to me :)

GryffinSong

Thanks for this GryffinSong, I use the Mystical deck and I often have trouble seeing it as illness unless it is paired with the coffin or cross....and even then it depends on the question I asked. The card has all these lovely coloured birds in the trees and playful bunnies underneath it - it kind of throws me a bit when thinking about the card as ill health! I often see the Tree as growth or 'growing up' or something that takes a while to happen at the moment because that seems to fit the cards imagery better to me :)

I just received the Mystical Lenormand in the mail today, and I definately see what you mean!!! It's such a lovely, lively tree!!! :)

214red

yes its very vibrant and rampant like the bunnies!!