Fairy Lights-Card pairs: The Fool and xxx

Hemera

The carefree and optimistic Fool looks like he is coming from that castle in the 10 of Pentacles. There is a steep fall behind him that he has to watch out for. Is it his home or does someone else live there? He looks happy and he has probably had a great time in the castle. He is now ready to leave his family and home base and ready to find his own style.

I find these cards opposing each other in many ways:

*traditional style vs. finding your own style
*stability, staying put vs. freedom, moving on, daring
*all is certain vs. nothing is certain
* financial security, material abundance vs. empty handed, taking risks
* lasting foundations vs. trusting the flow

ETA: Those small white creatures that he has as his companions are odd. I thought that they could be spirits or ghosts that have followed him from the house? They are probably benevolent, but they look like ghosts, don´t they?

Bookwight

Unlike most Fools, he is stepping up onto a cliff, instead of off it. The drop is to his back, a landscape left behind. White creatures seem to be painted on his body, including a snake and a heron on his torso, and a butterfly on one leg. Do they symbolise the animal nature within ourselves, or perhaps a tie with nature? Other white creatures float in the air, nipping at his heels. They are eyeless and look like fat fish with legs. Very strange. He doesn’t seem to notice them. His face is happy, looking upward and forward. White points of light glow in his hair.

And he is paired with the Ten of Pentacles. A card of wealth and stability, home and inheritance. Nothing too unusual in the symbolism of this one, apart from that figure at the end of the rainbow, which appears to be an angel?

So, the Fool is leaving behind the life of stability, ignoring the doubts that nip at his heels, and he is starting on a new journey. Maybe it’s the kind of thing we need to do, when we get too cosy, too complacent and comfortable in our lives. Even if our life is all rainbows and wealth, we can still seek new horizons with the innocence and enthusiasm of the Fool.

Aeon.of.Horus

Unlike most Fools, he is stepping up onto a cliff, instead of off it. The drop is to his back, a landscape left behind. White creatures seem to be painted on his body, including a snake and a heron on his torso, and a butterfly on one leg. Do they symbolise the animal nature within ourselves, or perhaps a tie with nature? Other white creatures float in the air, nipping at his heels. They are eyeless and look like fat fish with legs. Very strange. He doesn’t seem to notice them. His face is happy, looking upward and forward. White points of light glow in his hair.

And he is paired with the Ten of Pentacles. A card of wealth and stability, home and inheritance. Nothing too unusual in the symbolism of this one, apart from that figure at the end of the rainbow, which appears to be an angel?

So, the Fool is leaving behind the life of stability, ignoring the doubts that nip at his heels, and he is starting on a new journey. Maybe it’s the kind of thing we need to do, when we get too cosy, too complacent and comfortable in our lives. Even if our life is all rainbows and wealth, we can still seek new horizons with the innocence and enthusiasm of the Fool.

To me again these two cards seem to make a perfectly imperfect pair!

First let us look at the elemental dignitaries at work here.

Fool = Air
Pentacles = Earth
Air + Earth are enemies and they weaken each other.
But .... But!

10 is the finite number of the tarot (Excluding the courts) and Pentacles is the finite suit.
The fool is the initiatory card of the tarot being at number 0

So before we even start to analyse the pictorial messages coming from these two cards we can see the magickal elements coming together in the first instance.

So as Bookwight said...

So, the Fool is leaving behind the life of stability, ignoring the doubts that nip at his heels, and he is starting on a new journey.

I can totally agree, as I said above Air & Earth are elemental enemies so the fool feels uncomfortable in his happy secure setting, so off he goes and thus the cycle begins again!

Now how about the animals that adorn the Fools clothing...
We see a snake and a butterfly both are allegorical of transformation and new beginnings, as both are known to shed their skins and step into a new life.
Bookwight said he saw a heron, which is symbolic of patience hmmm the Fool and patience ???
I see it more as a swan, which would also symbolise transformation, remember the ugly duckling?
I also see a dog on his jacket and we all know dogs are loyal friends of mankind, thus bringing into meaning the trust in oneself and being loyal to your cause = The Leap of Faith we have come to know as the Fools message.

now the little weird white dog like creatures nipping and yapping at his heels.
Nothing but figments of his imagination, his intuition kicking in.

So yes we do in fact see the fool setting off on yet another adventure and leaving his happy sweet contented life behind him, but it wont be for long because he is safe in the secure knowledge that his happy secure home will be there waiting for him when he returns after his hero's journey.

Aeon