Mlle. Lenormand Books

room

As all fans of the Lenormand decks know, no publisher seems to recognize that an English translation would be beneficial to the world.

I own the large Lenormand Astro Mythological cards, and I just ordered one of the small 36-card Lenormand decks from Somerville. Realizing that I would again encounter frustration while trying to figure out the symbolism on these cards, I ordered two books in French from Amazon.fr; one on each system.

They are very expensive, but the odd explanatory book that shows up in North America seems to be even more expensive, so I went to amazon.fr.

Just for practical reasons, I gathered mentions of books from several threads here and added some books I found on Amazon, and am posting a breakdown of some available French books on the subject. I think there might be German books but I'd have no hope of translating those, so I opted for the French, which I can translate well enough for daily draws anyway.

I bought #1 and #5 because they illustrate my particular decks, which seemed easier to me as a beginner.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1---Comprendre & Interpreter Le grand jeu de Mlle Lenormand by Corinne Morel
(recommended and used by AT member The Old)
Broché: 210 pages
Editeur : Bussière (13 juillet 1996)
Collection : Articles Sans C
Langue : Français
ISBN: 2850901911
19.95 Euros Amazon.fr - ships 7-14 days

2---Aventure Mythologique: Le Grand Jeu de Mlle Lenormand, by Carole Sédillot & Chantal Frelaut:
(recommended and used by AT member Rusty Neon)
Paperback: 292 pages
Publisher: Dervy (2000)
Language: French
ISBN: 285076986X
20.28 Euros Amazon.fr - ships 10-14 days

3---Grand jeu de Mlle Lenormand (Broché)
de Carole Sédillot & Chantal Frelaut
(Looks like a newer, stripped down version of book #2)
Broché: 127 pages
Editeur : Pardes (1 août 2004)
Collection : B.a.-ba
ISBN: 2867143314
11.40 Euros amazon.fr - in stock

4---Le livre du grand jeu de Mlle Lenormand
by Jean-Didier (Author)
Paperback: 238 pages
Publisher: Trajectoire
Language: French
ISBN: 2841970388
14.20 Euros amazon.fr - in stock

5---Manuel pratique du Grand Jeu de Mademoiselle Lenormand (Broché)
de Emma Decourtay
Broché: 201 pages
Editeur : Exclusif (1 mars 2004)
ISBN: 2848910208
17.10 Euros amazon.fr - ships 10 - 14 days

6---Le Petit Lenormand (Broché)
de Colette Silvestre
(Illustrates the Carta Mundi deck with the oval insets of playing cards)
Broché: 206 pages
Editeur : Editions du Gange (30 septembre 2003)
Collection : Présages
ISBN: 2911096185
18.91 Euros amazon.fr - in stock

[Edited to say - #1 to #5 deal with the Grand Jeu Lenormand as you can see. #6 deals with my specific version of the Petit Lenormand. I didn't list all the other books available for the Petit Lenormand and variations--so you'll have to sort it out yourself.]

room

Just a little note about my Lenormand cards with the oval by Carta Mundi. I have the English edition, and I am assuming it is the French edition illustrated on the book I bought (the picture is too small to see the text. )

I just noticed a lady online with the same cards, only with the text in Dutch
http://www.libralion.com/lenormand.htm
This gives a nice close-up of the cards if you click on one.

In one of the previous threads on the Petit Lenormand deck, I noticed some reference to the US Games version with poems in English (within a rectangle) which were pretty silly apparently compared to the French version.

I don't think these oval cards use the same poetry, but I could be wrong, since no one has actually said anywhere or compared them to the other deck with poetry.

Anyway, if the book I bought uses the French translation, I will have a great comparison with my English cards. Double the translating fun sort of.

I wonder if the oval versions are in Dutch, English, and French, are they also to be found in German or Italian etc.?

yaraluna

How are you finding the Astro mythological one for readings? If you don't have the book to guide you through the meanings and symbols, how are you doing with it? intuitively?
i want to get the Astro mytho but don't know if it brings a book in English or french or no book at al. i know some french so it won't be that bad thoug.

thanks

room

yaraluna said:
How are you finding the Astro mythological one for readings? If you don't have the book to guide you through the meanings and symbols, how are you doing with it? intuitively?

I rarely know what the images are about and therefore don't feel intuitive and do readings with it.

The LWB has conventional fortune telling meanings, it does not specify what the images or symbolism on the card is, which is why you need a secondary text.

I think most people opt to buy a secondary reference so that they can figure it out. It depends how much work you want to do. If you're looking for something that you can readily use straight from the box, this deck isn't going to meet those expectations.

MareSaturni

room said:
I think most people opt to buy a secondary reference so that they can figure it out. It depends how much work you want to do. If you're looking for something that you can readily use straight from the box, this deck isn't going to meet those expectations.

True. I'm looking for a book to help me with this deck. The problem, however, is that all of them come from Europe, and that means i'd have to pay in Euros. I simply don't have money (i'm brazilian student, mind you). So right now, i'm just using the LWB :(

Yet, i still think this is a fantastic deck!

On the other hand, the Ptit Jeu is very famou here in Brazil - you can find many different kinds - so i've been using it for some years now :)

~Yuko

room

Amazon.fr shipped my books today, so I will be interested in seeing them finally.

mariodosventos

Lenormand Book in English!

Hello everyone,

I have followed the verious threats on the Lenormand cards over the years and noticed that there were no books on that deck available in English. I started reading the Lenormand over 10 years ago and was taught by a professionsl reader who used the deck for over 30 years...so I managed to publish a book on the Lenormand in English!

THE GAME OF DESTINY - Fortune Telling with Lenormand Cards
by Mario dos Ventos

Mlle Lenormand was beyond any doubt one of the most famous and most talented fortune tellers of all times. Her life is also surrounded with stories of amazement and mystery – and so are here cards! The most comprehensive book ever published on the Fortune Telling Cards of Mlle Lenormand, The Game of Destiny contains the meanings of all 36 cards, card combinations, special meanings and several different spreads of this unique divination system. This is the first book to reveal precisely how these cards work, and explain how this system of divination can provide amazingly accurate answers to questions about love, friendships, family, career, health and spirituality.

An extra chapter on how to invoke the aid of the Gypsy Spirits in card divination as well as ideas and recipes to aid clients and readers alike make this book an exceptionally valuable guide for beginners and professional readers alike.

Printed: 208 pages, 8.5" x 11"
ISBN: 978-1-84753-109-4

http://www.lulu.com/content/354732

Available from Lulu.com and also from Amazon within the next 6-8 weeks!

room

Ah Mario, that's fantastic--I'm sure many people will buy copies--it's very much needed. I see it covers the Petit Lenormand only.

I just spent about $70 CAD on buying the French books on the Petit and Grand Lenormand decks, so you got here too late for me unfortunately.

I wish you success, and am glad to see someone had the foresight to finally translate something for the English market.

I liked your dedication:
"To Cigana Maria Madalenna

My beautiful 'Gypsy of Faith',
who opened my eyes to the mysteries of these cards."

You might be interested in this thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1002100&posted=1