Lenormand: What Difficulties Do YOU experience?

"Lenormand: What Difficulties Do YOU Most Experience As A Learner".

• Understanding one system or any for that matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Certain cards when in a combo or spread. E.g. Sun/Cross.

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • How to answer a question whether specific or general.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I find it tricky reading them in pairs, threes, or more than 5.

• I cannot get my head around certain cards. E.g. Coffin.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I find it hard to read when a card like Tree/Heart/Fish turns up for a question like Job.

• I do not know when I am the "Man"/"Woman"...or not.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I do not understand the basics.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find it confusing as one source says this and another that.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other: State Reasons In Comments.

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DownUnderNZer

When it comes to learning the Lenormand what are your main experiences when it comes to not understanding cards/meanings/combos etc.

DND :)

Village Witch

I picked the wrong choice above. Let it to me to screw up the poll. :/

I have trouble with certain combos.

My biggest problem is when laying a daily spread with no subject. Some days the cards are crystal clear and other days the cards make no sense whatsoever, even in hindsight.

I find that I have much better success when I stick to basic meanings and don't try to reach for an intuitive or alternative meaning. To me the Snake is a malicious attack not a beautiful woman or a cold or highly intelligent woman. Snake will bite me.

Some days I love the cards, and other days I wish I had never laid eyes on them.

sweetcherise13

I just recently began working with Lenormand, but I wanted to jump in on this wondering how many others have trouble with reading certain combinations of cards?

Barleywine

My main issue, which is really more minor than major, is a sub-set of the "cards-in-pairs" choice: the subtleties of meaning between what a card means when coming before or after another card. Take, for example, the Mice. In Andy's book he says whatever comes before the Mice is what is being diminished, and whatever comes after it shows the consequences of that diminishing. But I've also seen other writers say whatever comes after the Mice is what is being diminished. The same is true with the "directional" focus of the Scythe. So far I'm finding Andy's approach to sequencing the most useful, but it's not the only one so I'm never entirely easy in my mind about the correct interpretation. When the sequence isn't as clear as these examples, I just "wing it" and make the best I can out of the combination using the "linguistic" approach, but my analytical nature feels a bit stymied.

Le Fanu

I think my main difficulty is that combinations can mean anything whatsoever and you only really know what after the event! When I look at different possibilities of combos, really, the cards can mean anything and everything... but - you know - I keep trying ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

celticnoodle

I find it really hard to understand how to read a specific card when it falls in its own house in the full Lenormand spread. Some combos are also difficult to read, when I try to read only a few cards. This is why I find for myself I do better when I just lay out the full 36 cards in a 8 x 4 + 4 spread. Reading this way, and seeing the specific card in a specific house allows me to rely on how it affects the specific question. But, I wish I felt more confident in reading just 3 or 5 cards together rather then the whole deck.

DownUnderNZer

So, it is mostly combos with you three...

I think it comes down to if it is a "general" question (I do not like generals) you are tackling or a "specific" one, also, perhaps how well you know the cards to have that diversity.

But of course you may all have your own valid reasons as to what causes the issue.

SNAKE: If I was "describing" a person then that is how it would be used, but not for a "situation" like "job", "travel", "house repairs" or "a car" etc. Only if "people" come in to the equation regarding a "situation" - then of course. For example, if SNAKE was next to MAN, then I would be looking at it twice.

Nothing wrong with "basic" Village Witch - it will keep your reading straight forward. No going off on a different tangent hopefully.

But with "generals" that can go in all kind of directions for sure.

Difficulty with "Combos" is good to know!. Thanks!

I picked the wrong choice above. Let it to me to screw up the poll. :/

I have trouble with certain combos.

My biggest problem is when laying a daily spread with no subject. Some days the cards are crystal clear and other days the cards make no sense whatsoever, even in hindsight.

I find that I have much better success when I stick to basic meanings and don't try to reach for an intuitive or alternative meaning. To me the Snake is a malicious attack not a beautiful woman or a cold or highly intelligent woman. Snake will bite me.

Some days I love the cards, and other days I wish I had never laid eyes on them.

I just recently began working with Lenormand, but I wanted to jump in on this wondering how many others have trouble with reading certain combinations of cards?

I think my main difficulty is that combinations can mean anything whatsoever and you only really know what after the event! When I look at different possibilities of combos, really, the cards can mean anything and everything... but - you know - I keep trying ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownUnderNZer

I think the "light" side and "dark" side goes with the "Near" and "Far" distance style of reading. I know the "Gypsy Witch" tends to use it as well.

Not sure about other systems although I have never seen Sylvie Steinbach use it and she follows the French system. May just depend on the country and/or how taught. I do not use it as there are only 7 negative cards in the deck really, so why alter it in anyway. To each his/her own though.

As for the "Scythe" I see it as being something like a "good harvest" or a "bad harvest" and depending on what follows it - that points to what kind of harvest.

Wonder if Teheuti will be addressing something like this in her book when it comes to looking at different systems etc.

My main issue, which is really more minor than major, is a sub-set of the "cards-in-pairs" choice: the subtleties of meaning between what a card means when coming before or after another card. Take, for example, the Mice. In Andy's book he says whatever comes before the Mice is what is being diminished, and whatever comes after it shows the consequences of that diminishing. But I've also seen other writers say whatever comes after the Mice is what is being diminished. The same is true with the "directional" focus of the Scythe. So far I'm finding Andy's approach to sequencing the most useful, but it's not the only one so I'm never entirely easy in my mind about the correct interpretation. When the sequence isn't as clear as these examples, I just "wing it" and make the best I can out of the combination using the "linguistic" approach, but my analytical nature feels a bit stymied.

DownUnderNZer

Years ago one of my German teacher's taught us that when a card falls on it's own house it is in the "right place to be" and for some reason it has "double impact" I suppose.

Some combos can throw you especially when you get cards that you don't think relate to the question.

Be interesting to see how others see it I reckon.

I find it really hard to understand how to read a specific card when it falls in its own house in the full Lenormand spread. Some combos are also difficult to read, when I try to read only a few cards. This is why I find for myself I do better when I just lay out the full 36 cards in a 8 x 4 + 4 spread. Reading this way, and seeing the specific card in a specific house allows me to rely on how it affects the specific question. But, I wish I felt more confident in reading just 3 or 5 cards together rather then the whole deck.

Lee

Thank you for saying this, this is exactly my problem. For me, it's not so much a problem with reading per se, but it adds to my being troubled when some readers give the impression that they're simply following their system and it leads inexorably to their conclusion, and that everyone following generally the same system will arrive at more or less the same conclusions.

To me that's obviously not the case, because in my experience, two people using the same meanings/methods can arrive at exactly opposing conclusions. I can see that for myself when I do a reading and I see that it is possible to apply two different valid traditional meanings for a card or a combo and it leads to two different and often opposing conclusions for the spread.