Straw hat debate

Rosanne

Bon'grace s.Pendagi; Pendeti, Pendenzi mp.

Provincial Italian to English Dictionary

pendenza sf
a slope, slant , (grado d'inclinazione) gradient
in pendenza (tetto) sloping, (strada, terreno) on a slope
essere in leggera pendenza to slope (down) gently
una strada con una pendenza del 20% a road with a 1 in 5 gradient
b (Dir) pending suit
c (Comm) outstanding account.
Italian Dictionary.

From the Latin pendeo
verb hang/ hang down; depend; [~ ab ore => hang upon the lips| listen attentively]

Now if you look back at the Picture of Saint George and Saint Anthony, you will see Saint George listening attentively about Saint Anthony and the apparition of the Virgin Mary. The devotion by the Company of Saint George to the Virgin Mary and Charitable endeavors through confraternities was usual in Northern Italy from the 1300's-1600's.

This symbol of the Straw hats or Pendenzi has become lost to us today.

~Rosanne

Perhaps not lost completely- Just think Straw fedoras and Mafia Bosses :D

Bernice

It seems there is clearly an italian 'debt' connection with the straw hat in these early times.
Rosanne: This symbol of the Straw hats or Pendenzi has become lost to us today.

Perhaps not lost completely- Just think Straw fedoras and Mafia Bosses :D
Thank you for that Rosanne - much easier for me to remember. Straw hat on a caul = fedoras and Mafia Bosses :) (Saint George pic).

Rosanne. Post 50:.....There is a history of straw hats indicating debt- from the parades on Saint John the Baptist feast day......
Is it not likely that this general association with 'debt' from an early time would develope to encompass other social conditions? See here;
Rosanne. post 60: The Straw hat may be considered a Bongrace or Bond-grace- a brimmed straw hat. It is the symbol of a vassal. Vassals were gangs of freemen who voluntarily subjected themselves, in some varying degree of formality, to the authority of a leader, from whose distribution of loot they could expect to be fed, clothed and armed. The quality of a vassal was only in his fighting ability and the strength of his loyalty. (Rouche 1987 ) It is not unlike a young knight.
(My bold.) So vassels would, in a sense, consider them selves 'indebted' to the leader they have chosen to follow.

This is a fascinating journey into the origins of the Straw Hat!

Bee :)

Rosanne

Hi Bee!
I am glad you have enjoyed the walk in the garden of Straw hats.

You ask would ....'debt' from an early time would develop to encompass other social conditions?

Firstly I would say the hat means 'depended upon your master' rather than having been enslaved as in fiefdoms. It was mutual indebtedness.

Now during this search for reasons for the (sticks finger down throat) straw hat,
I had reason to read information about confraternity and fratelli or Lay brotherhood groups. After the plague- it left orphans and lads and young girls without means. Indeed these groups of lay people offered relief, schooling and employment and became interdependent with their Signor. I will continue in another thread because O'Neill writes of the possible link between confraternity and Tarot. It may also explain the holes in the top of the cards- mini Gonfalons for education.
On to the Empress card.........as Tarot can bore you witless if you are not interested in the History.
~Rosanne