Green Witch Tarot

journeyinghome

I do see what everyone is saying and there are some other cards that I'm not keen on. However, I see the 3 of Swords card differently and thought I'd share - feel free to ignore/tell me I'm wrong! :)

Look at the swan - it's just the one swan! Isolation, heartache, loss. I say that because swans usually pair for life - if one dies or the nesting fails, then they will take up with another.
I've been seen a single swan on a river - it followed me and my dogs as we walked along the bank. We were there a long time - an hour or so. It was clearly alone - no other swan appeared in that time and it wasn't nesting season. I've never seen one behave like that. Normally they're not interested unless you pose a threat to their young or you have food for them!

The cottage - it's rundown. The light is on the outside. Looking outside of ourselves for answers, not trusting our inner knowledge and guidance. There's no heart to the cottage. The boarded up window - not letting anyone in. There's a lot of grey, including the woman's clothes. She's doing everything alone. I get the sense of "I've got to do this on my own" from the image. Grim determination. Those 3 knives around the door? A warning to be careful and protect yourself.

I don't see Ann Moura as one of the 'sugar coating tarot' brigade. In fact, I think she's quite the opposite!

Scarlet Woodland

I do see what everyone is saying and there are some other cards that I'm not keen on. However, I see the 3 of Swords card differently and thought I'd share - feel free to ignore/tell me I'm wrong! :)

Look at the swan - it's just the one swan! Isolation, heartache, loss. I say that because swans usually pair for life - if one dies or the nesting fails, then they will take up with another.
I've been seen a single swan on a river - it followed me and my dogs as we walked along the bank. We were there a long time - an hour or so. It was clearly alone - no other swan appeared in that time and it wasn't nesting season. I've never seen one behave like that. Normally they're not interested unless you pose a threat to their young or you have food for them!

The cottage - it's rundown. The light is on the outside. Looking outside of ourselves for answers, not trusting our inner knowledge and guidance. There's no heart to the cottage. The boarded up window - not letting anyone in. There's a lot of grey, including the woman's clothes. She's doing everything alone. I get the sense of "I've got to do this on my own" from the image. Grim determination. Those 3 knives around the door? A warning to be careful and protect yourself.

I don't see Ann Moura as one of the 'sugar coating tarot' brigade. In fact, I think she's quite the opposite!

I too felt this from the lone swan and the boarded up window. I felt the more hopeful aspect was just the idea of protecting yourself (perhaps magically) because this is coming... but I don't feel that negates the message that heartache is on the way.

Just so people know... I've had a check and the 8 and 9 of swords/athames are traditional, the 10 is non-traditional but contains symbology for healing, overcoming obstacles and banishing negativity. Again I personally don't feel that negates the traditional meaning, but rather that it gives you some advice on how to deal with it. The card is mournful but contains the hope of healing in the future.

Am sure these representations won't be to everyone's taste but what ever is. I can't say there's ever been a deck where I've liked every single card.

DaughterOfDanu

As the deck is due out for release, next month I think, I don't believe there's anything anyone can do now, though Scarlet is right. Often it is the author who dictates what the illustrations should be.

I don't mind decks that have been tweaked a little, for example with the Druidcraft changing The Devil to Cernunnos didn't bother me. I could appreciate and see with ease why it was changed yet it still held traditional meaning. But the symbolism of the Swan in the Green Witch I didn't make the connection with. I didn't even notice the boarded windows to be honest.

I think with all decks those involved with its creation walk a fine line between having your deck be completely unique and not just another RWS clone, but not getting so personalized with it that others cannot make the connections. For me, the Green Witch tarot may unfortunately have crossed that line. But I will wait to see what the other cards look like and how the interpretations are.

Aeon.of.Horus

the 10 is non-traditional but contains symbology for healing, overcoming obstacles and banishing negativity. Again I personally don't feel that negates the traditional meaning, but rather that it gives you some advice on how to deal with it. The card is mournful but contains the hope of healing in the future.

Now you see again I have difficulty in this as to me the 10 Swords is allegoric of being stabbed in the back, talked about behind ones back etc etc... No other card has this meaning in the Tarot (unless I have missed something) and it is such an important message that the tarot conveys. I think also that if I was to go back and analyse every read I have ever done, this card would stand out and shine as one of the most frequently read....

There are countess others in the deck that are symbolic of healing and overcoming obstacles such as the Queen of Cups (the Healer) and 7 and 8 Wands just at a glance...

But I have to agree with Treeleafe when she rightly pointed out....

I don't mind decks that have been tweaked a little, for example with the Druidcraft changing The Devil to Cernunnos didn't bother me. I could appreciate and see with ease why it was changed yet it still held traditional meaning. But the symbolism of the Swan in the Green Witch I didn't make the connection with. I didn't even notice the boarded windows to be honest.

I think with all decks those involved with its creation walk a fine line between having your deck be completely unique and not just another RWS clone, but not getting so personalized with it that others cannot make the connections.

Sorry but yes you cant muck about with it to such as an extent that it completely changes everything that you have tuned your intuition on to.
I mean why not just simply add another suit if you wish to do that?
Or as in the Celtic Lenormand deck create the standard deck but add extra to it such as the woman (there were 2 1 rich 1 poor) same with the man, the birds had 3 different cards etc. Now as a reader you now have the versatility and option of adding / subtracting / replacing at will to create a unique deck that is almost personalised to your style or simply use them all to add extra meanings. She should have taken a page out of Will Worthington's book.

I am sorry but my argument still stands and I am with Treeleafe on this 100% of the way.

Aeon

One less deck to worry about :)

Aurora369

I can relate to what you have broken down for us. The swan did seem all alone and I noticed the boarded up window. Great take on this card. I have already pre-ordered the deck.

WhiteWolfy

Good one journeyinghome! I really like the look of it and it seems like it will allow me to stretch my intuitive muscles. Always a good thing. I have already pre-ordered it :thumbsup:

InkyAlchemy

Excellent interpretation journeyinghome.

I hope there might be a study group on AT for this deck.

journeyinghome

I'm really glad that my little interpretation resonated with others :) I too hope there will be a study group. I think there will be huge scope for intuitive reading with this deck.

Sorry that you're not keen on the cards, Aeon.of.Horus and Treeleafe - but on the positive, it's always nice to have decks on one's "not to buy list"! :)

Scarlet Woodland

Just 18 days to go now!

Boing... boing... boing (Imagine a little Scarlet bouncing like Tigger) :D

journeyinghome

Just 18 days to go now!

Boing... boing... boing (Imagine a little Scarlet bouncing like Tigger) :D

:D

Another enthusiastic ATer here, trying to be patient! (And not succeeding!)