Hello! Newbie from Canada

Moonmaiden69

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a Tarot deck. As a Teen I was gifted the original RW but I didn't get into it back then and no longer own the deck. I am liking the Legacy of the Devine, Thelema and Witches Tarot right now. Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

Michellehihi

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a Tarot deck. As a Teen I was gifted the original RW but I didn't get into it back then and no longer own the deck. I am liking the Legacy of the Devine, Thelema and Witches Tarot right now. Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

There are about 10 000 decks available so hard to say which one you would like without knowing your tastes? Do you like busy pictures? Minimalist decks? Feminine? Dark? Also, you will learn that there are many influences in decks. Why did you not like the Rider-Waite? Because most of the decks are based on RW so.... If you prefer the Continenal european style, any Marseille woul be great but you have to learn numerology to read Marseille because the minors don't have images. You see, in order to answer you properly there are many issues to clarify!

Michellehihi

If you want rider based decks but more modern, i could suggest:
Cosmic tarot
Tarot Nova
Ellis decK
Deviant moon
Dame darcy
Dreaming way
Fountain tarot

Moonmaiden69

Yes I prefer a deck that follows RW symbolism but that is more current, modern. Nothing too dark. Something colorful with a lot of detail. Thanks for your recommendations, I will check them out.

tapestry

Druidcraft is a really beautiful deck and is on many lists as being in the top 10 best decks of all time. It also follows RWS very closely.

pickled pixie

Anna K is a brilliant Rws clone ☺

rylla

Dreaming Way tarot.

kduphily

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

I have to echo tapestry and pickled pixie on their recommendations, I have both. Also I have the legacy of the divine, it's a great deck, check out the gilded tarot as well, I have it and it's a great deck for a beginner.

FaintlyMacabre

I think it is usually nice to have enough detail in the cards to have something to "take off" on, but that is just me. Some of them are rather sparse.

I did not like it, but there is the Steampunk that you could look at. The Victorian Fairy is a bit different. There are a number of ones with pink and purple if you like that.

Shadowscapes????? I haven't looked closely at that one.

Tarot of the Hidden Realm looks beautiful but I have wondered if I could read with it.

I like the Cosmic well enough but I am not sure it is esp. modern. You could look at the Morgan Greer which is likely still around for a reason.

Perhaps it is better to get some ideas and then ask. We can say if it is some odd system or has really strange cards or something. I like my MerryDay but it does have a few offbeat cards and I finally bought the book because they had me stumped.

Perhaps none of these is vibrant enough for you but it gives you some idea of an assortment of decks anyway. I went through a few before one worked. I have mentioned how happy I was to see the Robin Wood go away :).

Diana

Morwenna

Hanson-Roberts follows the RWS very closely; the same artist re-colored the RWS to make the Universal Waite. If you're of a more pagan bent there's the Robin Wood. I also love the Anna K.

So many decks! Have fun in your search!