Astrology Study Group- revision & discussion

214red

Hi All

Welcome to 2010!

I had concerns that the study group i started was not getting the right amount of participation. so i decided to go back and try and work out a different method of studying that gets more interaction. After chatting to Minderwiz and Dave i have gone back to the drawing board , taking their points on board.

-So we are going back to basics, right back to make sure we have solid astrology foundations. so it might mean we go back to planets through the signs.

- we will be using famous peoples charts to use as discussion points, so that we explore not just our charts, but are able to apply what we learn to others charts.

-Each week/two weeks i will post an initial topic for discussion, then every few days update it with a new sign or house etc. So if it the initial post was "sun through the houses", every few days i will put up information about a different house for discussion (i.e sun in 1st house), and also find people whose chart we can discuss.

This should enable more interaction and discussion, and i know it might take longer, but if we skip these we might not get a decent grounding.

so the first thing is, what do you guys think about it?

le.jour.obscurcit

I don't believe copy-pasting info from other websites is going to help anybody learn at all.

I think a more progressive way at conducting these lessons would be to present it like the "Simple Chart delineation by Walter Pullen" on the astro.com website.

This method uses simple keywords and key-verbs to illustrate what sort of energy a planet's position in a certain sign or house creates.

For example:

Sun in Sagittarius and 1st House:

Sun: ego, image of self, sense of aliveness, etc.

Sagittarius: jovial, open-minded, freedom-loving, etc.

1st house: establishment of personal identity, physical appearance, etc.

This person's spirit, ego, image of self, and sense of aliveness is jovial, open minded, loves freedom, and seeks meaning and new experience. Most often this manifests in the area of life dealing with establishment of personal identity.

This will help the memory, as keywords will be remembered for certain signs, planets, houses and aspects.

To go further, I think that a fairly easy and practical way of remembering the houses' meanings is simply by referring to the associated sign's 'motto'.

1st house: "I am" - Who you are, your identity, physical appearance

2nd house: "I have" - Your material possessions, money, talents

etc.

I also like the idea of referencing charts of famous people. Great idea.

214red

Hi li Jour
no i dont beleive copy and pasting does help, however the discussions it brings up are meant to help, there is no point reinventing the wheel if there is something that can be cut and paste, but we need to discern what we agree with and what we dont. I also do add notes i have from my classes, so they arent pure copies.

keywords are good, but i think they dont help you understand it in depths, however saying that i will be using keywords in the subject, but then i expect us to padd it out in discussions.

am thinking we should start with the sun through the houses

thanks for the comments, very helpful!

isthmus nekoi

I think using famous people's charts is an excellent idea, largely b/c you are forced to focus on events that have occurred rather than the subjective experiences.

We used to have a mystery chart quiz exercise here that was fun. A chart of a famous person would be shown with a list of possible candidates (all w/i the same age range). ATF members would then guess whose chart it was and discuss their reasoning. But it does require that students are already comfortable w/reading charts so it's not good for beginners. Maybe something to consider further down the road?

214red

isthmus nekoi said:
I think using famous people's charts is an excellent idea, largely b/c you are forced to focus on events that have occurred rather than the subjective experiences.

We used to have a mystery chart quiz exercise here that was fun. A chart of a famous person would be shown with a list of possible candidates (all w/i the same age range). ATF members would then guess whose chart it was and discuss their reasoning. But it does require that students are already comfortable w/reading charts so it's not good for beginners. Maybe something to consider further down the road?
definately a great idea, maybe the astro gurus can help us with this further down the road.

le.jour.obscurcit

214red said:
Hi li Jour
no i dont beleive copy and pasting does help, however the discussions it brings up are meant to help, there is no point reinventing the wheel if there is something that can be cut and paste, but we need to discern what we agree with and what we dont. I also do add notes i have from my classes, so they arent pure copies.

keywords are good, but i think they dont help you understand it in depths, however saying that i will be using keywords in the subject, but then i expect us to padd it out in discussions.

am thinking we should start with the sun through the houses

thanks for the comments, very helpful!

I do realise keywords don't go indepth, but they can be used to help people remember meanings easily.

Minderwiz

le.jour.obscurcit said:
I do realise keywords don't go indepth, but they can be used to help people remember meanings easily.

True! We all use keywords at some stage of our learing process, indeed many ALWAYS use keywords, though of their own making. For the beginner they can be extremely helpfull. Part of the early learning process is to recognise their limitations - the main ones being that they are too restrictive and, possibly even worse, they are someone else's idea of what is important and definitey worse still, they do not give any context to the meaning.

However, as long as the limitations are borne in mind then they can be used quite profitably. A good technique, is not only to use them to construct interpretations but then to critique the interpretation and ask what does it fail to say. That way we can gradually either outgrow the keywords or add to our stock of keywords and know when to choose particular ones.

ncefafn

I'm cautiously dipping my toe in the water here, after the mundane astrology debacle. I'm interested in participating in a study group. I wish I was organized enough to use keywords, but instead I just grab a handful of what I can remember about a sign, house or planet and throw it in the soup.

214red

ncefafn said:
I'm cautiously dipping my toe in the water here, after the mundane astrology debacle. I'm interested in participating in a study group. I wish I was organized enough to use keywords, but instead I just grab a handful of what I can remember about a sign, house or planet and throw it in the soup.
lol me too sometimes, there are signs and houses i know really well and stick and there are some signs i have huge issues you remembering the basics on.

Minderwiz- i agree, personal keywords are (excuse the pun) the key here, i can put up words, but something in the discussion might be better as a keyword or phrase for you then the initial post.

le.jour.obscurcit

214red said:
Minderwiz- i agree, personal keywords are (excuse the pun) the key here, i can put up words, but something in the discussion might be better as a keyword or phrase for you then the initial post.

Could you please rephrase this to perhaps make it more grammatically correct, as I am having trouble understanding what you are trying to say. Also it's "than" not "then". :)