Dominants/Detriments etc.

DreamLotus11

It seems as though the astrology threads are dead, so I thought I'd try to bring it back alive. I have way more experience with astrology than I do with tarot. I've found that knowing our dominants, detriments and exaltation and falls can be very important to know about ourselves.

I have Moon dominant and Saturn in exaltation but I have Mars detriment. Detriments are negative...which is true...I have a quick temper at times...and since its in the 3rd, I sometimes say things before thinking which can cause me trouble. But my moon dominant in the 12th helps me a bit...it's where I get my mystical abilities. Saturn in exaltation in the 3rd also helps me...if I stop to think long enough, I can usually get things straight when I have patience.

What are your guys'? I'm interested.

Minderwiz

It seems as though the astrology threads are dead, so I thought I'd try to bring it back alive.

I'm sure the several people discussing Saturn Returns will be interested to know their thread is dead LOL :)

And for that matter the queue of people for Horary readings.

DreamLotus11 said:
I have way more experience with astrology than I do with tarot. I've found that knowing our dominants, detriments and exaltation and falls can be very important to know about ourselves.

I have Moon dominant and Saturn in exaltation but I have Mars detriment. Detriments are negative...which is true...I have a quick temper at times...and since its in the 3rd, I sometimes say things before thinking which can cause me trouble.

And possibly writing them too :) :) :)

DreamLotus11 said:
But my moon dominant in the 12th helps me a bit...it's where I get my mystical abilities. Saturn in exaltation in the 3rd also helps me...if I stop to think long enough, I can usually get things straight when I have patience.

Seriously, this looks a good thread for development. Perhaps you'd explain how you've assessed the Moon (and others) as dominant. Otherrwise I think people are going to find it hard to respond - there are several possible ways of calculating planetary strength in a chart, and it's not obvious which you've used.

A chart would be helpful to illustrate the point as I have difficulty imagining a planet simply being in the twelfth as dominant (unless it's within five degrees of the Ascendant)

With those issues made clear then I think you may find a number of takers.

junethird

I dont think Astrology is dead lol

If you want to get really technical I think alot depends on the house, sign and if you were born day or night. As some signs gain accidental dignities. But at face value looking under which sign your planets fall under to see their strengths and weaknesses is very important. Its not all negative. Fire moon people are very sweet and not afraid to make the first move or express their feelings. Which helps if their other planets are in earth signs. Like a mars in taurus is slow to take action for example and in a general sense. The key thing is to be blessed with a balance of elements overall. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses so no chart is near perfect.

Assena

Dominants

Hello!

I was really in shock when I found I had Mercury dominant, I have never felt mercurial at all, I'm still learning astrology, but now that I think about it, I like to know new things, do new things and I get bored really easy, the negative side is that it's diffucult for me to keep something going, my tarot journal, dream journal have long breaks, astrology learning also, because I lose interest a bit when I don't see instant results. I don't know my detriments, I was more interested on the dominants, I will have a look. Yes, is good to have in mind the positive and negative sides so we can do something about it.

Minderwiz

Hello!

I was really in shock when I found I had Mercury dominant, I have never felt mercurial at all, I'm still learning astrology, but now that I think about it, I like to know new things, do new things and I get bored really easy, the negative side is that it's diffucult for me to keep something going, my tarot journal, dream journal have long breaks, astrology learning also, because I lose interest a bit when I don't see instant results. I don't know my detriments, I was more interested on the dominants, I will have a look. Yes, is good to have in mind the positive and negative sides so we can do something about it.

I raised the question of 'dominants' with DreamLotus11 because there are actually several ways of 'defining the term. Whilst the traditional approach would be more concerned with the original meaning of being master or lord of a house or sign, it was something that was different from the strength of a planet.

There are a number of modern definitions which seem more concerned with using the term to define planetary strength, though not necessarily in a traditional way. So when you speak of a 'dominant' Mercury, I need to know how you define it, or by which measure you're using, otherwise it's difficult to engage in a discussion - and that's the interesting thing.

Assena

There are a number of modern definitions which seem more concerned with using the term to define planetary strength, though not necessarily in a traditional way. So when you speak of a 'dominant' Mercury, I need to know how you define it, or by which measure you're using, otherwise it's difficult to engage in a discussion - and that's the interesting thing.

Very good point, Mercury is the most aspected planet in my chart, I found that out after making a little research about dominants, but about dignities, when a planet is in certain sign my dominant is Mars (in Scorpio), with the time I have learned to keep Mars at peace, my detriment is Jupiter (in Capricorn), I want to think it has given me a sense of responsability but I don't have so much fun, I'm kind of serious, and I have an exalted Moon (in Taurus), it's difficult to show emotion, I feel it but can't express it, it's like something is holding me down. I speak three languages and I'm a teacher (language teacher) which I link to Mercury. What do you think?

Minderwiz

Very good point, Mercury is the most aspected planet in my chart, I found that out after making a little research about dominants, but about dignities, when a planet is in certain sign my dominant is Mars (in Scorpio), with the time I have learned to keep Mars at peace, my detriment is Jupiter (in Capricorn), I want to think it has given me a sense of responsability but I don't have so much fun, I'm kind of serious, and I have an exalted Moon (in Taurus), it's difficult to show emotion, I feel it but can't express it, it's like something is holding me down. I speak three languages and I'm a teacher (language teacher) which I link to Mercury. What do you think?

Thanks for your explanation. Personally I don't think the number of aspects matters in this particular sense. Some aspects might increase the ability of a planet to fulfil its purpose (in the chart), other aspects may detract from it's ability to fulfil its purpose. It's quite possible that in a multiplicity of aspects then the end result is that the planet's ability to fulfil its purpose is actually reduced or left unaffected.

Of course that depends on a traditional approach to aspect 'blending' rather than the modern theory of aspect 'blending' which relates to personality.

Now I don't have your chart, so I can't really comment on your specific case in terms of Mercury's role in your chart. That also applies to your detriments and exaltation. I wouldn't necessarily put the same interpretation as you do on those sign positions. The house placements also need to be considered as well as the aspects (if any).

Assena

The house placements also need to be considered as well as the aspects (if any).

That's why astrology intigues me but tires me at the same time, there are so many details, I have still problems with the aspects, and I know they are important because they describe the character. My Moon is in Taurus (exalted) in the 3rd house, I tend to speak slowly and it takes time for me to learn something, can I relate this position to my inconsistency? I'm also always researching something but not going so deep. But I like knowing new, different and interesting things. My Moon is not aspected if I don't count minor aspects, but it quincux Uranus and Pluto, I think that's why people sometimes see me as cold and I have problems showing affection.

My Mars is in Escorpio (dominant) in the 8th house, maybe that's why I like mysteries in everything, no romantic movies, shows, but all the scary things, they facinate me even though I might get scare. Mars trines Asc, Sun, Mercury and Venus, sextiles Jupiter and conjuncts Saturn and has minor aspects to Uranus and Pluto. I didn't think about it before, I can be explosive and easily irritable, but I try to hold back, maybe the trines are helping, but the pain and anger stay there for long.

My Jupiter is in Capricorn (fall) in the 11th house and is in opposition to the Sun, Mercury and Venus, sextiles Mars and Saturn and cojuncts Neptune, I don't have many friends, I'm a private, reserved person, it reminds me of this girl who wanted to get close to me at any cost and I was like "no way", so even though I might see friendly I'm really not, so I'm giving the wrong signals to people, it might be my ascendant (Pisces) who trines most of my planets.

I never thought deeply about dominants and detriments, I will research more.

Minderwiz

That's why astrology intigues me but tires me at the same time, there are so many details, I have still problems with the aspects, and I know they are important because they describe the character. My Moon is in Taurus (exalted) in the 3rd house, I tend to speak slowly and it takes time for me to learn something, can I relate this position to my inconsistency? I'm also always researching something but not going so deep. But I like knowing new, different and interesting things. My Moon is not aspected if I don't count minor aspects, but it quincux Uranus and Pluto, I think that's why people sometimes see me as cold and I have problems showing affection.

Aspects don't describe character, even for a modern Astrologer who sees the chart as a map of the psyche. Aspects modify planets but it iss the planets and several key points which have a contribution to character. For the traditional Astrolger, Ascendant, Moon and Sun are the basis of 'character' or temperament. Aspects come last (though they have importance).

The Moon is not concerned with emotions - just think of fear, anger, envy, jealousy, joy, love, etc and you will realise this is so. The Moon is concerned with instinct or the reactive unthinking mind. Now instinct is a very important contributor to human action, often more so than the logical mind (Mercury). The lack of aspects for the Moon doesn't really matter. There's no reason for planets to connect but if they do, then you need to look at whether that connection will enhance the planet or detract from it.

Your Moon is most visibly going to affect third house matters. Those include your siblings neighbours, less mainstream divination systems, such as Tarot - it is the Place of the Goddess. Later on it gained a connection to communications, so your communications might be more instinctual than thought out. Look to see which house the Moon rules (probably the fifth) that will show you where your Moon is going to have the main long term effect.

Assena said:
My Mars is in Escorpio (dominant) in the 8th house, maybe that's why I like mysteries in everything, no romantic movies, shows, but all the scary things, they facinate me even though I might get scare. Mars trines Asc, Sun, Mercury and Venus, sextiles Jupiter and conjuncts Saturn and has minor aspects to Uranus and Pluto. I didn't think about it before, I can be explosive and easily irritable, but I try to hold back, maybe the trines are helping, but the pain and anger stay there for long.

The eighth has a bad reputation in Astrology but i think that only really should be considered if the eighth is indeed the eight sign from the Ascendant. That Mars trines your Ascendant is good, unless it is out of sign. Again without a chart I have to be careful here. But an eighth house placement would make it difficult to easily display anger as the eighth is traditionally unconnected with the Ascendant (which is you in the tradition) and therefore is blocked from being effective (aspects may come in useful at this point)

Assena said:
My Jupiter is in Capricorn (fall) in the 11th house and is in opposition to the Sun, Mercury and Venus, sextiles Mars and Saturn and cojuncts Neptune, I don't have many friends, I'm a private, reserved person, it reminds me of this girl who wanted to get close to me at any cost and I was like "no way", so even though I might see friendly I'm really not, so I'm giving the wrong signals to people, it might be my ascendant (Pisces) who trines most of my planets.

I never thought deeply about dominants and detriments, I will research more.

The eleventh is actually the Joy of Jupiter, and traditionally it's the House of the Good Spirit. It's a fortunate placement. Yes there's some loss of essential dignity because of being in Fall. Jupiter is weakened more from being in a night chart, but the Fall doesn't help, in fact it adds to that. Jupiter actually rules your Ascendant, but in Capricorn it is square by sign, there's some tension here. How much depends on the exact placements. Venus is the planet that rules relationships and it happens to be the most benefic planet in your chart. The opposition of Jupiter and Venus will give you some difficulties with relationships. As Jupiter is in the house of friends, that could (and I stress could, not 'is') an factor in being reserved, coupled with Jupiter being out of sect and in fall. Note that doesn't stop you making friends but I think the friendship is likely to be on your terms.

Now treat those comments with care because I still haven't seen a chart, though I can picture its general shape.

Assena

Thank you for your comments Minderwiz, and sorry for taking long to answer, I thought I knew myself but I realised I have to study more, what you said about my Jupiter kept me thinking and to add a comment about dominants I would like to share a comment I have about a friend's Jupiter.

He has dominant Jupiter in Pisces and he feels he is the most unlucky person on earth, his Jupiter is in the seventh, now the seventh is the house of the partners and open enemies, (can I call it long term partners?), what I know about Pisces is that is the sign who tends to sacrifice for others and put other people before them, well, I can see this pattern in his working area, he's always understanding to the people working with him, his boss, he tends to think them first than him but sometimes they are not fair to him, I can say they kind of use him, and he takes it until it becomes too much and explode, so I link this to the open enemies side, but what happens to his relationships?

Well, as far as I know he hasn't had many formal girlfriends but one long relationship, according to him he dated many girls but nothing serious until now that he is in a relationship, what I have seen is that he expects his girlfriend to show Pisces characteristics, for example, to be a giver, understanding, supportive, but he is not like that to her, to other yes, I also read somewhere that this placement gives him the help from women, and I can see it as truth because his sister, mother, girlfriend are helping him all the time.

Jupiter squares the Sun and Uranus and semisquares Pluto, it trines mercury and Venus and sextiles Mars, the Sun is in the tenth, I suppose that's why he is very acquiescent with people at his job, Uranus is in the fourth, I don't know very well his family but when talking about his mother he said he loved her because she always put everyone first than her even in difficult situations, he was the giver, so I suppose that is what he is expecting from his personal relationship and probably expects the woman in his life to be kind of unique because of Uranus.

About the other aspects I can't say much, I have to study Jupiter closer, but another dominant in his chart is Pluto, could it be why he focus so much in Pisces characteristics? It's the cusp of his seven house, Pluto is in the second in Scorpio and squares the Moon and Venus, I believe the unrealistic relationship he would like to have comes from this aspects creating tension, but Libra is the cusp of his second, so I think he would like some equity but on his terms. He's also secretive, dominant pluto on Scorpio. His is one interesting character.

PS. His going through his Saturn return so I'm very curious about what will happen next.