Horary, where do I begin?

OnOrionsBelt

I have seen questions answered with this method, even saw items being found!

I've googled and came up empty, how is this done?

Here is my question. How can I make a friend?

As you find answers, can you be descriptive and explain how you came to the conclusion so I can learn to do this independently. Thanks!

Photos attached.

a6f344835dd1283b078b5aa7cac29d59.jpg

Sharla

I've just looked at your chart, but i'm not very familiar with the chart you've selected to use.

I'll give you a couple of pointers that maybe of use....

As your Asc is gemini and the ruler of gemini being mercury and mercury being in the 4th house, and the ruler of the 4th house being virgo, then id say you were being a little standoffish with others maybe.

As the 4th house is regarding family, home then id say your spending too much time in your own little bubble at home, also as most of your planets are in the lower part of the chart and your Asc mercury being in a Mercury sign, then id say you were maybe quite introverted, and like your own space. But this could make you be inclined to think too much about what others may think of you and this could make you appear to be like i said standoffish with others in regards to making new friends.

There's a lot more to go into reading horary, i've just basically skimmed the surface there.

Plus i've only just started studying horary myself, so i'm no expert.

Barleywine

I can see why it might be difficult. The 11th House is the house of non-intimate friends, and the "go it alone" sign of Aries is on the cusp. It's ruler, Mars, is in Sagittarius and square "by sign" (a valid classical convention) to the Ascendant ruler, Mercury in Virgo. The latter prefers to be accommodating, but Mars in a Fire sign is more domineering, so they kind of work at cross-purposes. Saturn in Sagittarius is also (more closely) square to Mercury and it's riding the 7th House cusp, suggesting that partnerships of any kind would be problematic at this time. It may be that you're sending "mixed signals" to prospective friends, agreeable at the superficially social level of Mercury but more adamant about your own (Mars) agenda when trying to get more personally involved.

I'm not entirely sure this is a good question for horary techniques, but there seem to be a few worthwhile insights here.

OnOrionsBelt

I've just looked at your chart, but i'm not very familiar with the chart you've selected to use.

I'll give you a couple of pointers that maybe of use....

As your Asc is gemini and the ruler of gemini being mercury and mercury being in the 4th house, and the ruler of the 4th house being virgo, then id say you were being a little standoffish with others maybe.

As the 4th house is regarding family, home then id say your spending too much time in your own little bubble at home, also as most of your planets are in the lower part of the chart and your Asc mercury being in a Mercury sign, then id say you were maybe quite introverted, and like your own space. But this could make you be inclined to think too much about what others may think of you and this could make you appear to be like i said standoffish with others in regards to making new friends.

There's a lot more to go into reading horary, i've just basically skimmed the surface there.

Plus i've only just started studying horary myself, so i'm no expert.

I can see why it might be difficult. The 11th House is the house of non-intimate friends, and the "go it alone" sign of Aries is on the cusp. It's ruler, Mars, is in Sagittarius and square "by sign" (a valid classical convention) to the Ascendant ruler, Mercury in Virgo. The latter prefers to be accommodating, but Mars in a Fire sign is more domineering, so they kind of work at cross-purposes. Saturn in Sagittarius is also (more closely) square to Mercury and it's riding the 7th House cusp, suggesting that partnerships of any kind would be problematic at this time. It may be that you're sending "mixed signals" to prospective friends, agreeable at the superficially social level of Mercury but more adamant about your own (Mars) agenda when trying to get more personally involved.

I'm not entirely sure this is a good question for horary techniques, but there seem to be a few worthwhile insights here.

Sorry for the delay, I did not receive notification replies were left.

I believe learning to do this kind of reading will be extremely difficult for me. I have no knowledge base for the positioning of the planets. Much of reading this sounds foreign to me.

Is your information like "Mercury is here which means this or Mars means that" from?

Can you direct me to a site where I can generate these meanings? I'd like to try learning and then seeing if I can find the same things you have found here. Often times I have been told why I don't have friends but I'm looking for how I can make a friend. I know it would appear obvious, stop doing all these things we are saying the chart says you do.... it's not so easy.

For now as far as horary reading goes, it's as if I'm looking at a paper that is not in English and being told it says sooooo much. I can't decipher it.

Barleywine

Sorry for the delay, I did not receive notification replies were left.

I believe learning to do this kind of reading will be extremely difficult for me. I have no knowledge base for the positioning of the planets. Much of reading this sounds foreign to me.

Is your information like "Mercury is here which means this or Mars means that" from?

Can you direct me to a site where I can generate these meanings? I'd like to try learning and then seeing if I can find the same things you have found here. Often times I have been told why I don't have friends but I'm looking for how I can make a friend. I know it would appear obvious, stop doing all these things we are saying the chart says you do.... it's not so easy.

For now as far as horary reading goes, it's as if I'm looking at a paper that is not in English and being told it says sooooo much. I can't decipher it.

Minderwiz will know more about active web sites than I do. I mainly refer to John Frawley's book, The Horary Textbook.

Minderwiz

First steps

IThere are some things you really need to do even before you start reading a chart.

I don't know how much you know about Astrology, and this would be the first thing to address. If you know very little, then even the posts of Sharla and Barleywine may not be very helpful. So your first step is to equip yourself with some sort of textbook, which wil give you the basics and a lot of examples. There are several listed in the resources section. Allied to this, you could do with some software. Traditional Morinus is free and it's very good for horary.

The second and more important thing you need to know is that horary involves distinct roles, the person who asks the question and the Astrologer who answers it by understanding the question asked and then casting and interpreting a chart.

Now there's absolutely no reason why both roles can't be played by the same person. However, in such cases it's very important that both roles are still carried out. It's very easy for you, playing both roles to miss an important step for the Astrologer. That step is understanding the question. If I was the Astrologer and you asked me this question I would be unsure what you meant. I can see several possible meanings and I'm not sure which you are using.

Do you mean a girlfriend or boyfriend... Something that will lead to romance? Do you mean a 'mate'.... Someone you can go to a club or football match with or play games with? Do you mean someone at work, or college you'd like to know better. Do you have a specific person in mind for any of those roles or are you asking because you have difficulty making friends and want to overcome that difficulty (in which case the question is about you, not the possible friend)?

Getting the question clear in the mind of the Astrologer is vital, otherwise you will not get the right answer. You might think that you know your own mind but it's very easy to slip up on this stage. The other day I asked a question about my wife's missing watch. It's a question that she had asked some time ago. I cast the chart and started reading it using the second house for personal valuables. It was only part the way through my search for the watch based on that chart, that I realised I'd referred to her by name in the question. She wasn't the person asking the question; that was me; and the second house was not her valuables. So I didn't understand my own question and had to start again.

Barley wine speculated that this might not be a suitable horary question and I can see why. There's no time frame and it could quite easily be a question about your basic personality and therefore more relevant to natal Astrology and our natal chart. It would be making the lines of 'Are you naturally predisposed to difficulties making friends?' If so then that is where you should look, your natal chart.

If you have no clear birth details and a natal chart is problematic, then horary might be a substitute, but not a perfect one. If your question is about making a friend in the next month or year then horary might well be the preferred way to go.

There's a lot to think about there but, in any horary question, getting the question clear is the hardest part. If you were consulting me for a readind we'd talk this over till I was satisfied I knew what you were asking. Reading for yourself means that you have to carry out that discussion with yourself. Only when you know exactly what you are asking and you have the right wording do you cast the chart.

OnOrionsBelt

Minderwiz will know more about active web sites than I do. I mainly refer to John Frawley's book, The Horary Textbook.

Ahh I see. I work well with guides.
Here are some "rules". I'm sure they are debatable, so much is. But overall, is this how you start learning?

Barleywine

Ahh I see. I work well with guides.
Here are some "rules". I'm sure they are debatable, so much is. But overall, is this how you start learning?

I started with "lost item" charts because they are quite straightforward, and I still have my greatest success with them. I used to have a friend back in the '70s who became something of a "personality" in horary here in the States (Alphee Lavoie), and we were doing a combined horary-and-tarot experiment, but that fell through and we parted ways. That's when my interest in horary first blossomed.

OnOrionsBelt

I started with "lost item" charts because they are quite straightforward, and I still have my greatest success with them. I used to have a friend back in the '70s who became something of a "personality" in horary here in the States (Alphee Lavoie), and we were doing a combined horary-and-tarot experiment, but that fell through and we parted ways. That's when my interest in horary first blossomed.

Yes, I was intrigued when you found an iPad here on AT. That's what piqued my interest.