21 cards:for beginners:easiest way to learn: simple

Lucifers Mum

Here is a traditional gypsy spread that I would recommend for beginners.
It is simplicity itself: 3 rows of 7 cards picked with left hand.

The bottom row represents past: the middle: present. the top is future.

The trick is to look for threads and connections: you have a lot to work with. plenty of scope for interpretation. Plenty of stories moving upwards, You get less of those, well, I can't see anything moments.

The numerology is 3 times 7 which is very positive. It has a nice comforting feel which puts people at ease. Once you get the hang of it, you can move on to different spreads or inventing your own.

GreenMoonBeam

Are you saying the left hand as it can be the less dominant hand? If so, then I
guess picking the cards with the right hand should work (being left-handed)?
Interesting concept.

Lucifers Mum

tradition

I can only state the gypsy tradition: which is to use the sinister or left hand. I think it has less to do with dominance than with your left hand being with assosciated with magic. Its like wearing a wedding band on your left hand. Or shaking hands with your right. Tell you the truth, I hadn't questioned it that much, as far as I know it is the way it has been done for centuries.

cardlady22

An interesting point about "handedness":

In many schools it was customary to force a child to learn to write with his/her right hand. They were severely punished if caught using the left. My mother (who is only 58) ran into a teacher who tried to do that, but her own mother was the principal so the teacher didn't get very far.

How many people are still subjected to this?

ETA: I was taught that it has more to do with the action/intent. The right hand is for projection of power/energy; the left is for receptive/intutive. I have used this for healing modalities too. The left hand to draw out pain or draw down a fever; the right to lend strength or as a blessing/benediction.

Umbrae

I was 'forced' to be right handed. My earliest memories are of having things taken from my left and forced usage with my right.

.traveller.

Umbrae said:
I was 'forced' to be right handed. My earliest memories are of having things taken from my left and forced usage with my right.

Are you ambidextrous? I ask because the same thing happened to me and now I can use both hands interchangeably. I don't have a dominant hand.

GreenMoonBeam

I had similar treatment as a child.:(: Wonderful nuns.

But back to the answers, then that is interesting to know. Have put the
spread in the jorunal. I can understand about both hands & their uses.

GMB!

Lucifers Mum

Oppression of leftists

I too suffered this oppression: I've started a discussion thread on tarot traditions: its alwasy great to hear other peoples experiences. I know from my experience people feel at ease with it. I now use the celtic cross, but with 14 cards doubling all the cards on the outer circle to have a good and bad side.
Bad explanation. Numerologically 14 is a happier number then 10

SwordsQueen

cardlady22

.traveller. said:
Are you ambidextrous?

My mother is! She plays piano, which may have helped. Writing is the only thing she cannot do with her right hand.

With regard to the 3 x 7 spread, using the rows as the periods of time:
Do you lay them out from right to left, or vice versa?