New old deck interview

Ana's Song

I stumbled upon a "new deck interview" spread by FireRaven and thought it might be a bit of fun to apply to my 'old' RWS deck. This deck was purchased about five or six years ago... maybe even seven years ago and has been languishing on a shelf for much of that time, until fairly recently. I've also only really gotten 'serious' about tarot study in the last couple of months so it might very well qualify for the new deck title :)

1. Tell me about yourself. What is your most important characteristic?
Ten of Pentacles

Ooh the card of magic amongst an otherwise mundane/normal setting, lots of hidden knowledge here ripe for the taking - but only to those who know how to seek it out. Indicative of the 'inherent' magic in a RWS deck, despite all those new-fangled derivations that are out and about. It's probably a reminder to me as I've been thinking about getting the new Shadowscapes, Mystic Dreamer, and the special edition of cirom's Legacy of the Divine. Is the RWS reminding me that it still has a lot to offer in terms of my tarot study?

2. What are your strengths as a deck?
Six of Cups rx

This is an excellent foretelling/divination deck - looking to the future rather than the past. One that gives good advice in respect of actions to be taken. My RWS has indeed done pretty well in my daily draws for things to be anticipated or actions to be taken. I've been a bit slack in daily draws for the last week though, naughty naughty.

3. What are your limits as a deck?
Tower

Hmm, not sure about this one. I don't feel that the Tower here is indicating any kind of explosive energy or the 'usual' negative connotations. Maybe it's just saying that when I look a the cards, the eureka! moment of enlightenment is up to me, and the deck can't help me if I'm too dense to read the messages it's clearly showing me in my spreads.

4. What do you bring to the table -- what are you here to teach me?
Lovers

This is interesting. Seems to indicate that my relationship with the RWS will be a very valuable one, and it will be helpful in my personal development (spiritual? mental?) and also provide good advice should I ask it for said advice. I also think it will help me with developing my intuition since that is how I read most of the time.

5. How can I best learn from and collaborate with you?
Three of Swords

By not dismissing advice or interpretation of the cards out of hand when I see something that I don't like. I do tend to turn to the tarot when I am emotionally upset (yes usually over a male, hehe) so maybe this is a link back to that? Maybe I'm the type who needs to be miserable and single before I devote time to self-healing etc. - when I'm happy I tend to ignore the cards...

6. What is the potential outcome of our working relationship?
Temperance rx

Looks like it's going to be a tempestuous one lol. Maybe because of how I've come to this deck (during emotional upset), then ignored it (during emotional happiness), then returned again (during yet another upset), perhaps this deck will always be a 'harsh' or 'blunt' one - not gentle and temperate.

Thoughts and comments welcome - this is really quite fun!

Edited to add: I also drew a clarifying/shadow card after re-reading the original thread in the Spreads section, and it was the Magician. So that really does tie in with the concepts of learning, magic, knowledge, etc.

FLizarraga

Hi Ana,

IMHO, your reading of the spread is spot on. Here are some comments:

1. Tell me about yourself. What is your most important characteristic?
Ten of Pentacles

Yep, the magic hiding in plain sight. Might even include a gentle rebuke, as if, "Well, while you are devoting your attention to the wealth of new decks out there, here I am, in my coat of many colors, and you don't even notice me."

2. What are your strengths as a deck?
Six of Cups rx

"I give clear insights, unclouded by feeling, and bring no baggage."

3. What are your limits as a deck?
Tower

"I am a tad too intense, and take things to extremes."

4. What do you bring to the table -- what are you here to teach me?
Lovers

What you said, and also remember this is the card of choices and crossroads.

Perhaps it's simply telling you, "Stop sleeping around with other decks. I'm the one."

5. How can I best learn from and collaborate with you?
Three of Swords

"Stop being a wimp, and face the music. Calmly accept the suffering in life as well as the joy. You'll see that, once suffering has run its course, there's always new joy waiting at the end of the tunnel."

Also, learning can be painful and hard. This is a card of patience.

6. What is the potential outcome of our working relationship?
Temperance rx

Control will be relinquished. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe you are too controlled/controlling. You have apparently been handling with deck with too much care, taking little sips now and then. It seems to be saying, "I'm a strong wine, and that's what you need. Drink me, Alice. Get drunk, and fear nothing."

timpug

10 Pentacles-- I work for the light side. My goal is to bring light, love and understanding to the world. I work to bring harmony to the world

6 of Cups- I don't worry about the past. The past is history and cannot be changed. There is little benefit to dwelling on something that cannot be altered. Rather I look to the future-- whether it is to bring encouragement for change or acceptance of a situation.
The Tower-- I will have nothing to do with the dark side that brings upon destruction or negative energy to anyone. I will not bring pain or separation to relationships. I work solely for the purpose of betterment and bringing people together.
The lovers-- Love, love and more love. There can be no other greater purpose. I will encourage you to spread love to others. I will help you to with relationships.
3 Swords- Give what I tell you freely. Do not become attached with your heart to the extent that you let your emotions affect you. Not everything that I tell you will be pleasant-- and in such cases you need to separate yourself from your emotions and reluctance or fear of upsetting others. There is a reason behind what I tell you although you may not understand it. Refusal to relay a difficult to accept message to a seeker will not help them. Trust me. Everything I tell you- will not come up roses-- In such cases do not reject what I am trying to tell you.
Temperance-- Our relationship at times will be challenging. You may not like what I'm telling you. At times you will probably question my answers/suggestions. You will not understand everything I'm trying to convey to you. Yes, our relationship will be challenging at times because I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear, rather you will hear from me what is in the best interest of all.