Tarot Apps on Phones/Tablets

Midnite

I have used the search function on here to try and find a thread that was posted a few months ago about the accuracy of Tarot apps. The thread contained an argument both for and against with a few members making great points about how affective Tarot apps can be because of the "mysterious workings of the universe". I have read through a bunch of threads but still can't find the thread. If anyone knows the link then please post it here.

So assuming the thread can't be found, here is the question I put forward --
Obviously apps will never come close to a real deck of cards, but what are people's opinions on apps and their accuracy? Are apps somewhat of a scam where the app picks the cards for you in a non-random way, or is it something relating to the mysteries of the universe and how everything happens for a reason at exactly the right time?

GryffinSong

I choose none of the above. A good tarot app (and there are lots of bad ones out there) are, in my opinion, simply another media on which a tarot deck exists. I, personally, do not believe that tarot is magic. I use tarot as a way to trigger intuition, to give me ideas, or to initiate a conversation with a querant. It doesn't matter to me what random generator is used, in fact a computer is far more likely to choose randomly than I am. A creased card, for instance, will tend to come up more often. My iPad apps will never wrinkle, never fade, never tear or get lost. I LOVE apps by The Fool's Dog. Excellent interfaces, great decks, and I get to see the cards at full iPad size instead of a small card.

Please note that the apps I'm talking about are JUST a way to use a particular deck. You can choose to look at the card's meaning, just as you would look in the little white book. But these apps do not tell you your fortune. Any app that does ... not of interest to me. I am the interpreter, just as I am with a physical deck in my hands.

Ace of Stars

Obviously apps will never come close to a real deck of cards, but what are people's opinions on apps and their accuracy? Are apps somewhat of a scam where the app picks the cards for you in a non-random way, or is it something relating to the mysteries of the universe and how everything happens for a reason at exactly the right time?

Hi! I'm one of the makers of Galaxy Tone tarot apps. We have an app featuring the 1910 Tarot by Waite and Smith, and a brand new one featuring Yoav Ben-Dov's CBD Tarot de Marseille.

In our reviews, "accurate" is probably the word users use the most. So, there's that.

Some apps and software "pick" that cards randomly, but some, like our's, let the user shuffle the digital cards and select the cards for their reading from all the cards spread out (or, if you prefer, you can change the settings so the cards are chosen randomly).

Anyway, I'm biased, but I definitely wouldn't use the word "scam". We do everything we can to make a high quality app that acts in an authentic way.

danieljuk

I think you have to give it a go and decide for yourself personally! There is free apps you can try with limited use or ads put in. See how it goes! I think for me that tarot apps are just as accurate as real cards!

I wouldn't use them for spreads for other people or if I was a professional. But for myself I use them quite a lot and use them for a card a day. They are totally randomised (well Ace of Stars 'Galaxy Tone' apps are, I even emailed the help desk once to ask how it randomised cards because they fitted so well for me! :) )

I once read a blog post from a tarot reader who experimented with them (and also with websites online which you select the cards yourself and it gives you a reading). They felt the accuracy was high. They decided that if you have a phone app, you have your phone in your pocket quite a lot or on you and thus your energy is all over it! just like a deck!

I sometimes pull a single card for people on here in the tarot games but I always say it's from a digital deck. I think it's important that people know you are using it, instead of a physical deck. But it means I always have a deck on me wherever I am :thumbsup:

AJ

Accuracy lies in the reader. You can see every day in Your Readings nearly every poster has a different take on the same set of cards. Doesn't matter what you use to get to that point, apps, cards, toothpicks.

Midnite

Very helpful. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

momentarylight

I have used the search function on here to try and find a thread that was posted a few months ago about the accuracy of Tarot apps. The thread contained an argument both for and against with a few members making great points about how affective Tarot apps can be because of the "mysterious workings of the universe". I have read through a bunch of threads but still can't find the thread. If anyone knows the link then please post it here.

I have quite a few apps and use them quite often. The reproductions are usually of very high quality and it is great to have them in such an immediate and portable medium. They are quite inexpensive as well.

For me, the symbolism of tarot is the important thing. You get that perfectly in the apps. Individual intentions and needs are also important. And it is a matter of individual preference. Some will always prefer the paper cards and that is quite all right. With some decks such as the Dark Goddess, my most recent acquisition, I think I will always prefer the cards. That one is such a beautiful deck and I feel as if I am handling something magic with each card.

Aina

Hi! I'm one of the makers of Galaxy Tone tarot apps. We have an app featuring the 1910 Tarot by Waite and Smith, and a brand new one featuring Yoav Ben-Dov's CBD Tarot de Marseille.

In our reviews, "accurate" is probably the word users use the most. So, there's that.

Some apps and software "pick" that cards randomly, but some, like our's, let the user shuffle the digital cards and select the cards for their reading from all the cards spread out (or, if you prefer, you can change the settings so the cards are chosen randomly).

Anyway, I'm biased, but I definitely wouldn't use the word "scam". We do everything we can to make a high quality app that acts in an authentic way.

I have a Galaxy tarot and rune app. I love them both and use them daily! I particularly love the interpretations of the Galaxy app, very deep, insightful and has a bunch of great advice. Love the intonation of those interpretations so to say. I downloaded all the possible tarot apps and the Galaxy one had a really good quality and I was truly impressed. The funny thing was that the readings were REALLY accurate. I think it doesn't matter where does the information come from. The message is the message electronic or not. It's just that maybe many people like to interact through hands, I don't know why but the process of handling the cards may have something to do with psychic abilities. Healing also happens through hands. So I don't know if we are talking the same Galaxy app here but I'm a big fan!

Ace of Stars

I have a Galaxy tarot and rune app. I love them both and use them daily! I particularly love the interpretations of the Galaxy app, very deep, insightful and has a bunch of great advice. Love the intonation of those interpretations so to say. I downloaded all the possible tarot apps and the Galaxy one had a really good quality and I was truly impressed. The funny thing was that the readings were REALLY accurate. I think it doesn't matter where does the information come from. The message is the message electronic or not. It's just that maybe many people like to interact through hands, I don't know why but the process of handling the cards may have something to do with psychic abilities. Healing also happens through hands. So I don't know if we are talking the same Galaxy app here but I'm a big fan!

Thank you so much! I wrote the interpretations so I'm just tickled :D I really aimed to write interpretations that encompass the essence of the cards and brought my background in psychology and intentional magic into my words.

We're a small company (2 people plus the artists we are fortunate to get to work with) and pour our love for Tarot into our work. When our apps help people that's the best compliment we can get.

Full Moon Blessings!

Shonna @ Galaxy Tone