Learners book recommendations

Marcus R

Hi everyone.
I was given a copy of Sylvia Abraham's "How to read the Tarot" to get me started with understanding the Tarot and must admit, has given me an invaluable start to reading Tarot. I now need to move further on with my understanding and capability.
I have read the reviews on 3 books but am not sure which 1 I should go with, they are...
21 ways to read a Tarot card.
78 degrees of wisdom.
Tarot for Yourself.
I understand that these are all workbooks. I have been inclined towards Tarot for Yourself and maybe 21 ways but am wondering if all these books are just "similar" but "different.

I would appreciate your recommendations and advice.

MGR

tarot heart

You will love 78 degrees of wisdom. It is not a workbook. The others are just ok. I am sure others will have other opinions.

Ace of Stars

Tarot for Yourself is my favourite. It will guide you to just jump in and start reading.

78 Degrees is very good, but a bit more advanced and esoteric.

danieljuk

Tarot for Yourself is a great starter! because it takes you through a process of learning and then have the others. I don't think "one book" can just teach you, it's good to have a mix of different ones to get different advice ;)

tarot heart

You know, I forgot about the book A Magical Course in Tarot by Michelle Morgan. It's a fantastic book to start with. This book will really get your intuitive juices flowing. It is written in a very friendly and approachable style. I would suggest starting with this book, then moving on to 78 Degrees of Wisdom.

Hope that helps. :)

Richard

Maybe 78 Degrees of Wisdom. However, as with any book, do not consider everything in it as absolute truth. It is just one author's opinion.

I think any book by Mary K Greer is solid mainstream material.

I would just suggest not getting locked into anyone's particular take on Tarot interpretation. Your own ideas are probably just as valid. My personal way of doing Tarot is kind of technical and spooky, but it works for me.

RunningWild

21 Ways is an excellent place to start if you're looking for a workbook.

While I like Tarot for Your Self, it's more introspective and maybe not really meant for those just starting out.

My copy of 78 Degrees has dog-eared pages and highlighted text with my personal notes in the margins, but....the author's (Rachel Pollack's) writing isn't so easy to follow.

Are you just looking to add more definitions to your understanding of the cards? Looking for historical context? Looking for a workbook? There are many good books available.

RexMalaki

...I know it's not on your list, but if I were starting out again, I hope someone would point me to The Process; it is another way to learn to read; you listen, and let Dan teach Tarot from his rose garden:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=104941

...and The Complete Tarot Reader - this a great summary of a invaluable book:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/complete-tarot-reader/

...whichever you choose, may your way be full of the miraculous and wonderment that is Tarot; the magic is not in the cards it is in you!

Marcus R

Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate all your opinions and recommendations.

I have read the Aeclectic reviews and also the Amazon reviews on 21 ways and 78 degrees. Some of the Amazon ones were pretty scathing. I always like to read both sides.
I am looking for a workbook and was also wanting a definitions book but am thinking now I will just keep on with the LWB's with each deck I have and my initial book, Silvia Abrahams, "How to read the Tarot", which has served me well so far and has indeed taught me how to read.
I have done just over 30 readings for others without refering to the books and everyone has been quite happy with the readings, me included. I almost don't know how I do it!!

This Aeclectic forum has given me some great inspiration and also some confusion which I won't go into here except to say I'm glad I found you.

RexMalaki...Thanks for the tip on The Complete Tarot reader. I read the reviews, Aeclectic and Amazon and I think that it's just what I'm looking for. Thanks.

danieljuk

I bought 78 degrees and saw the negative reviews (there is some negative posts in threads about it here too). It is a good book with interesting ideas. But also some of her takes on books are weird. so I would say good ideas but if there is some parts you think "I really don't agree with this", well that's fine, other people don't understand that either ;) we should take just some parts from the books and not rely on it completely like LRichard said. It's just different people's ideas which help form your own views on cards.

I like in tarot for yourself that there is exercises to get you more connected to the Tarot. It also teaches you how to calculate your birth card and year cards. It is a practical workbook.

If you are near a book shop at all I would browse through all them and see which appeals to you the most. You will probably end up at one stage owning all of them though :D Tarot is so addictive!