Club Dumas book & The Tarot (R.W.)?? (The Esoteric Meaning of the Ninth Gate)

revillusi0nz

The symbolism of this book reflect The Tarot Deck... I find it interesting to share.. Your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itN8bCGg2wA

This video is an insight to the symbolism of Arturo Pérez-Reverte's book "Club Dumas" and Roman Polansky's movie adaptation of the book "The Ninth Gate." It doesn't by any means delve into all the symbology found there in however one can see there is something more in the story than meets the eyes. If someone is offended by this video or deems the themes contained as satanic I'm sorry but it means such persons didn't understand the symbolism. This journey portrayed in the video is not about good or evil but about reaching psychological equilibrium also known as gnosis or illumination in ancient lore.

revillusi0nz

I enjoyed the video.

Thanks, I found it very interesting as well. I want to see the whole movie... and get a copy of the book as well.

Mycroft

I should read the book before you see the film, and then you'll appreciate more just what Polanski has done, taking one of the threads from Reverte's novel and changing everything around to create a masterpiece of cinema. There are lots of little touches that you don't notice first time around, but pay careful attention whenever Corso lights a cigarette - he smokes the same brand 'Lucky Strike' throughout the movie, except that he doesn't, Polanski actually has him smoking two different types of cigarette.

One aside which probably needs ***SPOILER ALERT*** before it, is that this film has a striking similarity to another tarot-themed piece of cinema, namely "Close Encounters of The Third Kind". Both films have at their conclusion what we might term an "alien contact" occurring at 'Devil's Tower'. In "Close Encounters" this is made plain and obvious, but in "Ninth Gate" Polanski is a lot more sneaky about it. If you look at the post card that Corso finds in Baroness Kessler's copy, you see the other name by which Chateau de Puivert is known;

Corso's "alien contact" might be differentiated as attaining a higher consciousness that is alien to our conscious minds, rather than encountering an alien species, however it could be that these are merely different labels for the same thing - since Crowley's drawing of Aiwass bears more than a passing similarity to the 'Greys' that emerge from the spaceship in "Close Encounters". It may be that the Tarot plays some part in the process of ascension to "alien contact" and if there were some link between 'Devil's Tower' and the Tarot that would be highly interesting. However, I can't think of any cards that relate to either "Devil" or "Tower" in the Tarot.

(PS - I lied about "Close Encounters" being tarot-themed!)