Help: Has this book been written yet?

Karrma

I have just had an idea for a book that needs to be written, about truly integrating western and eastern medicine. How does one find out if a book has already been written, other than just looking at books in the Library or on Amazon?

And how does one protect the idea/book during the idea stage, both to keep it growing, but not stolen by someone else?

tarotbear

There's not too much you can do with a book manuscript that does not exist yet.

My advice to you is that you need to rough out your ideas into a manuscript format that you can print out, enclose a letter with the date and your signature and maybe a couple of witness signatures, too. Put in a self-addressed envelope, and then mail it back to yourself. If the P.O. does not postmark it - bring it back to the P.O. and get it postmarked! DO NOT OPEN IT - EVER!

If you feel that your work has been stolen and it goes to court or legal proceedings - you give the UNOPENED envelope to the court to open. Then the dates of the signing and postmarks will show that you had this idea way back when.

Until you have a published manuscript in your hands (or even after you do) you need to have the proof that "I Was First" ... and a good lawyer.

Good luck.

Karrma

There's not too much you can do with a book manuscript that does not exist yet.

My advice to you is that you need to rough out your ideas into a manuscript format that you can print out, enclose a letter with the date and your signature and maybe a couple of witness signatures, too. Put in a self-addressed envelope, and then mail it back to yourself. If the P.O. does not postmark it - bring it back to the P.O. and get it postmarked! DO NOT OPEN IT - EVER!

If you feel that your work has been stolen and it goes to court or legal proceedings - you give the UNOPENED envelope to the court to open. Then the dates of the signing and postmarks will show that you had this idea way back when.

Until you have a published manuscript in your hands (or even after you do) you need to have the proof that "I Was First" ... and a good lawyer.

Good luck.

Thank you, TarotBear. I was thinking of you when I wrote this question.

Good Idea. I am more interested in getting my idea out there than ownership, but do want to protect myself a bit from someone who would think I stole their idea, as well as some protection. But I would not be surprised if someone else has a similar idea, as there are so many good ideas out there.