Kabbalah and Thoth

Little Baron

Who uses Kabbalah with the Thoth and finds it useful in readings and study?

Just interested as reading the DuQuette book at the moment, which has been sitting in a pile next to my laptop for some time.

LB

Aeon418

I do and I think it's very useful and important. But what do you mean by Kabbalah? Do you mean the Judaic Kabbalah? Or the system that Crowley used with the Thoth deck, the Hermetic Qabalah?

Little Baron

I think I mean the Hermetic Kabbalah.

I am not 100% sure of the differences. Can you explain a biy for me?

LB

ArcanoMáximo

and for me too :D!
please?...
I don't like the Thoth but if i like your explanation perhaps i can get a deck!

wizzle

I use the qabala for both reading and study. The one I use is the same as in Duquette's book which is the Christian version used by the Golden Dawn. Most of the material in Duquette's book, qabala wise, was developed not by Crowley but by the GD, notably Mathers. And you can use any deck along with the qabala, which is why you will see Hebrew letters on decks like the Spiral Tarot.

Aeon418

The Hermetic Qabalah used by the Golden Dawn and Crowley, although having it's origins in Judaic Kabbalism, is neither Jewish, Christian, nor any other religion for that matter. It is totally nonsectarian. In fact it is both syncretic and eclectic, including within it's framework any and all religions, ceremonial magick, astrology, alchemy, the tarot and many other strands of western esoteric thought and practice.

It was not created by the Golden Dawn or by Crowley. Although they both developed and expanded upon the ideas of the Hermetic Qabalah that had been around since the 16th century.

A quick overview of the Qabalah can found here:
http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/Qabalah

Windhorse

Thanks for the link aeon.....

Much obliged! :)

Will be scouring that site for a while.....

Little Baron

Yes, thanks very much .. have bookmarked.

LB

ravenest

LittleBuddha said:

LB

I do to. Both on an interpretive level and in layout.

Aeon418

LittleBuddha said:
The Thoth Tarot literally is the Hermetic Qabalah in pictorial form. I can't think of any better learning aid for the Qabalah, than the Tarot.

When you're first trying to get your head around the Qabalah it all seems very dry and theoretical. You can't figure out how the numbers are supposed to relate to their respective qabalistic Sephiroth. And how they change in the four qabalistic worlds (or stages of manifestation) of Atziluth, Briah, Yetzirah, and Assiah is just a mystery.

But it all makes sense once you start using it in conjunction with the Tarot. If you want to know the characteristics of the sephira Binah and the number 3 in the world of Briah, just take a look at the 3 of Cups.
Maybe your interested in the archetypal aspects of the number 8 and the sephira Hod. In that case you're looking at Hod in Atziluth, which is represented by the 8 of Wands.
Or maybe your interested in the forces of the number 5, Geburah, and how it acts upon the mind and intellect, Yetzirah. In that case take a look at the 5 of Swords.

If you want to know how the various sephira relate to one another, study the Major cards that connect them.
Likewise the Court cards are representative of the energies of the 16 different possible combinations of the four elements of Fire, Water, Air and Earth.

Everytime you pick the deck up you are holding the complete Tree of Life in your hand. ;)