The Lovers: A Hand On Cupid's Ass?

Centaur

Yes. You read the subject title correctly.

I was looking at this card last night, and I noticed that there appears to be a hand clutching at the buttocks of Cupid who is emerging from the top of the card to fire his arrows upon the pair being wedded below.

Who does this hand belong to? It almost looks as though it is holding Cupid in its grasp...

Either that or it is a pervy spirit out for a cheap feel.

Tarotphelia

Mr. Centaur, you shock me.

Mimers

I confess..... it's my hand. I just could not resist! ;)

Centaur

Tarotphelia said:
Mr. Centaur, you shock me.

LOL! I do try. Ha!

Mimers, most rude! Haha.

I had never noticed this before... but the hand looks almost unearthly... it is odd!

lark

To me it's the hand of God.
Cupid shooting his arrow symbolizes "longing for union"
So to me it's like Gods blessing on the union.
He's giving that little Cupid a push...
Go on, no sense longing for it just shoot!

Look at the big guy presiding over the union.
He's wearing a hood!
I always think "love is blind" when I see that.
It's like no matter how much we think we know or love someone we never "really" know all there is to know about them.

Emily

Hi Centaur,

I don't think its a hand, its Cupid's quiver of arrows.

Edited because there is something written on the quiver case and I can't see what it says - can anyone else see writing on it?

Sitting here with a magnifying glass, the large none-green Thoth and I still can't make out what it says, and I can see the writing now lol - I need a coffee :D

lark

I think you're right Emily!
It might be his quiver.
The letters as far as I can make out look like.
T H E L O M A

Strange2

According to the source (Crowley's "Book of Thoth"):

On the quiver of Cupid is inscribed the word Thelema, which is the Word of the Law. (See Liber AL, chap. I, verse 39.) His shafts are quanta of Will.

lark

Wow I was pretty close then!
One letter off.
Thank you Strange2.

Emily

Thanks Strange2 and Lark,

Yes I can see it now, I did think it was saying THELAMA lol - since I've had this large Thoth, I'm seeing details that I missed with the standard size one :)