Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part VI

Master_Margarita

thorhammer said:
Oh, but . . . it's so easy! Soo . . . perfectly natural :) A picture's just a picture to me these days :) I struggle to see anything of meaning in it.

Years ago, when I got back into Tarot, I had the Victorian Romantic and was on another forum. I kept driving the other members mad with questions like, "Why is that dove there??" "Why is she facing to her left?" "Is it significant that the such-and-such is red in this card and blue in another? Does that mean the cards are linked?"

Of course, being the VR, these things are aesthetic elements, not symbolic :D I just needed to find a deck that was jammed with more symbolic esotericism than I could ever hope to chew on :D and I'd be right. I found it *shrug* and now nothing is the same . . .

\m/ Kat
Oh, there is probably *some* symbolic significance to the stuff in the VR. It may be that my approach to tarot is more oracular than I want to admit.* I mean, I know the cards have specific meanings, I use them, but how I react to the "story" created by a combination of cards is frankly fairly free-associative. The other stuff--alchemy, astrology, Qabalah--is almost too much data for me to handle in one reading.

:heart: M_M~

*since the "intuitive" method sometimes strikes me as lacking any discipline or knowledge, I pretend that I'm not using it. :D

Bat Chicken

thorhammer said:
Batty - gotcha :) (and isnt' that essay in Oriflamme? I might be going mad . . .)

\m/ Kat
No you're not mad - I just cannot find a copy....! :confused:

Must look into the Wang book... Poaching suggestions! }) :D

thorhammer

Bat Chicken said:
No you're not mad - I just cannot find a copy....! :confused:

Must look into the Wang book... Poaching suggestions! }) :D
here for Oriflamme - still not sure if it's in there or not. I haven't checked my copy.

The Wang book is very readable, so far. I'm just getting a few pages in before I turn the light out for bed at night, so it's interesting reading but not too heavy, you know? I'm liking it.

\m/ Kat

Mellaenn

OK, I switched to RWS and the application/study is more of a practical nature for me. I've been reading severeal resources that reference the symbology in the deck. And of course, this is a much more public deck for me than the Haindl, so the readings I do with it are mostly for others. This was a good choice for now, but I do intend to get as disciplined again on my self-study as I was on the Haindl in the very beginning.

Bat Chicken

thorhammer said:
here for Oriflamme - still not sure if it's in there or not. I haven't checked my copy.

The Wang book is very readable, so far. I'm just getting a few pages in before I turn the light out for bed at night, so it's interesting reading but not too heavy, you know? I'm liking it.

\m/ Kat
It's a nightmare to get stuff from Amazon.com up here and Amazon.ca doesn't have it. I did get a very inexpensive copy of the Wang book. Should get it next week! :D

thorhammer

Bat Chicken said:
It's a nightmare to get stuff from Amazon.com up here and Amazon.ca doesn't have it. I did get a very inexpensive copy of the Wang book. Should get it next week! :D
Sweet :) You might be able to ask a US ATmember to help you with Amazon.com? I know there are lots who've helped me in the past :)

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Gee, you guys are quiet in here! Who's about? What you all up to? I'm missing the chat, the energy :)

\m/ Kat

Wendywu

it was my week with Frankie, so I just played with him all the time ......

I had such fun!!

rwcarter

Only just now peeking into the Support Lounge Part VI thread....

Other things around here have been keeping me way too busy to do anything with my IDS deck (the Mythic) since April or May. But yesterday I was able to work on four cards. That felt good. Now to finish the courts and get the whole suit posted and I'll have all the Majors and two of the Minor suits done and posted to the Study Group. Then only two more suits to go!

As I've already said, I read well with the deck, but I've come to the realization that there's not enough "there" there for me to study it. There's not a lot of esoteric symbolism in the deck, leaving it very simple. That was exactly what I needed almost 20 years ago when I picked up the Mythic as my first deck, but now I need imagery that I can sink my teeth into and chew on for awhile. But I will soldier on for two reasons:
  • I will not have 3 failed IDSs in a row :mad:
  • I think it's a shame that the deck doesn't have its own individual study group

Don't know how often I'll be able to pop my head in over here, but I hope everyone's doing well with their IDSs.

Rodney

thorhammer

No worries, Wendy, I must have forgotten to give you your hall pass :D

Good on you, Rodney, persevering like that. I know exactly what you mean, of course, with the symbolism and suchlike. But it's still a reasonably complex deck in that you can explore the allegory of the myth in question to find a more rounded and complete application of the card to modern life.

\m/ Kat