Divining life instead of living it.

JSNYC

Love your point as usual, Marina. I think this is also the fundamental point of an episode of the Twilight Zone that I just recently posted.
Click here to view the thread: Dangers of using Tarot Cards ("Nick of Time")

I think, as other posters have so eloquently pointed out, is has to do with a lack of control, or at least feeling a lack of control. For some, possibly even to the point of an inability to cope. I think we can all relate to that to some extent. People seek control (or escape) in all sorts of things, including divination.

MareSaturni

moderndayruth said:
It a bit sounds as if it all upsets you for some reason.

None of this upsets me. I just watch and wonder. I've done it in the past too, and found out that when I did that tarot didn't not help me, it blocked me. Because, like I said, it was easier to sit down, ask a question and assume whatever I like then to confront reality.

I see this happening to others and I wonder if it's a side-effect of working with divination. That we end up relying on our trust paper friend more than in our own impulses and ideas.

moderndayruth said:
To me, its age related.
Seriuosly.
I know there is that trend to absolutely dismiss biological age, but that's not possible.
I was divining in my twenties, but i had, what seemed at the time, an inexhaustible energy - for everything, i had much more spare time too, less preoccupations/duties etc.
So, i basically had all the recourses to (from this point of view) - waste time with people and events i wouldn't - had i known better.

Well, that could be also cultural. I'm 23 and personally I do not have so much free time in my hand. :D
Maybe I should see this as sign to stop asking here at the forum and ask my cards instead, lol!

moderndayruth said:
To me, its like having a wise friend - why repeat (even if one's own ) history, if you don't have to? Why go through some ugly stuff if it can be by-passed?
What is meant by 'living life' in the first place?

Living, to me, means "trying things on your own". That said, of course, you may choose not to try certain things for a principle, like drugs. You don't need cards to tell you that it usually doesn't end well.

If you mother tells you "love hurts", then you'll never love because she has lived more than you and knows better? You might, but you'll be missing some of the most fantastic experiences in life. Same with cards, I think. Not every experience the cards tell you to "by-pass" is ugly.

Many experiences start badly, only to improve later. But if you don't try because the cards are holding the "pain ahead" sign, you'll never know. It feels like some people use cards as a defense mechanism, to avoid anything that is bad or complicated.

All and all, if you depend on cards to make every decision and if you don't dare to do anything without the cards' approval, you have basically surrendered your brain to a pile a cardstock.

Yet, that's NOT what my thread was about. I was asking about people who instead of acting to get what they want, to solve the problem they perceive, to make changes happen, sit down and ask cards. They let the others - and the cards - create their lives. That's why they don't live.

nisaba said:
I'm fairly - what's the euphemism, yes this is it - "assertive".

I have no problem with rocking up to someone and saying: "I feel X, Y and Z about you, and I suspect you are doing A and B behind my back. I could be wrong, in which case, I'm sorry. Am I right, and what are we going to do about it?"

[...]

That's how I am too, so maybe that's why I perceive the non-action as a problem. I think sometimes it makes a monster out of something that could be solved by an "I'm sorry" or "Okay, what is it all about?".

Nice quote, by the way! :)

Nytebugg said:
My take is that as a reader you don't live with your sitter or live their life. Yes, they may be asking these questions but you don't know for a fact that they aren't talking with their crush or expressing their feeling about how their sister made them mad. I think it is a rather huge assumption to say the some people are not living their lives because they are asking tarot these questions.

First of all, the people who ask these kind of question usually post about it every two or three days, so it's more or less like following a soap opera. They also tend to share bits of their life so you may understand where they are coming from. After the 4th reading about the same subject, you notice that they are clearly stuck. That they do readings but don't follow the advices. They constantly focus on what is outside of them and out of their control. Maybe they are afraid, unsure, it's all right, but it doesn't change the fact they ain't doing anything to solve the situation.

Nytebugg said:
I ask what i want to ask because for me it helps clear my mental clutter and help me work through my anxieties.

Wonderfu - I think most of us can relate to that. But I'm talking about people who use tarot to run away from the "work through" part.

Nytebugg said:
Think if it is bad for us who can read it must be worse for sitters who know nothing of tarot to come up with a "good" question.
I put good in quotes because I don't believe in good or bad questions. I feel no question is frivolous or unworthy.

Read my original thread, if you haven't. I never talked about the question asked, that was a point brought by others who answered the thread. A very interesting point, should I add. But I'm talking about doing, not asking. About getting up and asking your sister why is she angry, and not do a 9 card spread to find it out beforehand.

Grigori said:
By it's nature I think even passive information gathering questions lead to an impetus to act in some way. Or even ask go on to ask in person rather than divine. Forewarned is forearmed after all, which seems the whole point. Not to circumvent action, but to assist it.

The negative situation you're describing to me seems more like one that occurs when people are unwilling for whatever reason to act. Asking questions may help allay some anxiety around that, but ultimately these people where not going to act with or without tarot guidance, so its a moot point I suspect. A diversion at worse.

Yes, passive information can be helpful. I never said it couldn't.

Of course, some people are naturally prone not to act, but my question was if divination somehow increases this tendency.

You see, almost everyone misunderstood what I wrote. Maybe I should go back to my English classes. I wasn't saying that information is bad. The oracle is yours, you may use it was you wish. If you want to ask "in which position should I sit on my chair today?", so be it, I have no problem with this. (Note: I used yours in a neutral way, I do not mean Grigori specifically)

People became reactive, saying I was judging people who ask the questions I used as examples, which I was not. I was asking IF having this possibility of knowing things beforehand, or without having to confront the people involved, makes readers and sitters more hesitant to just go and do it. If sometimes reading tarot stays in the way of our spontaneous actions.

JSNYC said:
I think, as other posters have so eloquently pointed out, is has to do with a lack of control, or at least feeling a lack of control. For some, possibly even to the point of an inability to cope. I think we can all relate to that to some extent. People seek control (or escape) in all sorts of things, including divination.

Thank you for responding to my question.
Yes, I think this is a good reason. Perhaps it's time for us, as both readers and querents, to find ways to address these problems in our divination practices, instead of focusing on circular questions.

Since we use this community to dispel so many tarot-myths, we could use it to help people to break from this habit. Help them to use tarot and other divination methods in more courageous ways.

moderndayruth

Marina said:
None of this upsets me. I just watch and wonder. I've done it in the past too, and found out that when I did that tarot didn't not help me, it blocked me. Because, like I said, it was easier to sit down, ask a question and assume whatever I like then to confront reality.
Don't know, i was thirty when i began seriously and indepth studying Tarot (having already made some quite serious life decisions), i can't possibly know what it would look like otherwise.

Marina said:
Well, that could be also cultural. I'm 23 and personally I do not have so much free time in my hand. :D
I think its more individual - according to one's personal life circumstances, profession, financial means and so on.

Marina said:
Maybe I should see this as sign to stop asking here at the forum and ask my cards instead, lol!
Oh, yes! :D

Marina said:
Living, to me, means "trying things on your own".
Yes, i get it. But, some people do prefer the cerebral part - many teenagers are not into Tarot, but are into their own things, books or computers and whatnot - shall we force them to live their lives as we (you) find it appropriate?

Marina said:
That said, of course, you may choose not to try certain things for a principle, like drugs. You don't need cards to tell you that it usually doesn't end well.
Well, you hardly have a contemporary artist or writer who hasn't at least smoked pot at some point time; a lawyer or a journalist has another mindset that includes different way of dealing with reality, an artist allegedly either creates their own or sees the existing one from another point of view.
Not propagating use of drugs, per amor di Dio, but again - one size never fits all.
Wasn't it for his LSD experiemnt, Aldous Huxley wouldn't have written 'the Doors of Perception' and Jim Morrison' s 'the Doors' named after the book would be quite different i suppose; now i can live without best part of lawyers and journalists, but wouldn't like to miss Huxley and Morrison (while your average lawyer can live happily without ever learning of them).

Marina said:
If you mother tells you "love hurts", then you'll never love because she has lived more than you and knows better? You might, but you'll be missing some of the most fantastic experiences in live. Same with cards, I think. Not every experience the cards tell you to "by-pass" is ugly.
Well, i am very glad if we on boards here have geniuses who are set up to re-write all the human experience and history too, but willing or not, someone will form or at least influence your opinion - your government, your priest, your school, the papers you read, the people you hang out with... your mother and Tarot happen to be among the best possible options. ;)

Marina said:
All and all, if you depend on cards to make every decision and if you don't dare to do anything without the cards' approval, you have basically surrendered your brain to a pile a cardstock.
This *you* i shall hope is a generic one, yes?
The situation you describe is highly unlikely and would presume some kind of psychological instability in my view.
Again, no one's 'righteous rage' hasn't ever changed anything for better.

Marina said:
Yet, that's NOT what my thread was about. I was asking about people who instead of acting to get what they want, to solve the problem they perceive, to make changes happen, sit down and ask cards. They let the others - and the cards - create their lives. That's why they don't live.
That's just an oversimplification.
Anyhow, i personally am glad that i am not anymore young enough to think that i know everything and thus i reach for cards...
Mileages vary.

gregory

Marina said:

First of all, the people who ask these kind of question usually post about it every two or three days, so it's more or less like following a soap opera. They also tend to share bits of their life so you may understand where they are coming from. After the 4th reading about the same subject, you notice that they are clearly stuck. That they do readings but don't follow the advices. They constantly focus on what is outside of them and out of their control. Maybe they are afraid, unsure, it's all right, but it doesn't change the fact they ain't doing anything to solve the situation.

Read my original thread, if you haven't. I never talked about the question asked, that was a point brought by others who answered the thread. A very interesting point, should I add. But I'm talking about doing, not asking. About getting up and asking your sister why is she angry, and not do a 9 card spread to find it out beforehand.
That is exactly what I meant when I posted, in case I didn't spell it out. And also asking for readings on the same question over and over - though I think that is partly in hope of getting the "right" answer.

Marina said:
Of course, some people are naturally prone not to act, but my question was if divination somehow increases this tendency.
I would be guilty as charged, as I often hate to act, and will do almost anything to get someone else to make decisions - but I also don't ask the cards. I just - do nothing.... :|

Marina said:
You see, almost everyone misunderstood what I wrote. Maybe I should go back to my English classes. I wasn't saying that information is bad. The oracle is yours, you may use it was you wish. If you want to ask "in which position should I sit on my chair today?", so be it, I have no problem with this. (Note: I used yours in a neutral way, I do not mean Grigori specifically)

People became reactive, saying I was judging people who ask the questions I used as examples, which I was not. I was asking IF having this possibility of knowing things beforehand, or without having to confront the people involved, makes readers and sitters more hesitant to just go and do it. If sometimes reading tarot stays in the way of our spontaneous actions.
Yes I think you are on to something here. The more some people start to use the cards, the more they can come to rely on them to do the work, and the more they begin to fear flying by the seat of their pants - aka living ! And I THINK I understood your point - it frightens me when I see this happening. People asking the cards what they should have for dinner - and NOT as a joke.

Marina said:
JSNYC said:

Yes, I think this is a good reason. Perhaps it's time for us, as both readers and querents, to find ways to address these problems in our divination practices, instead of focusing on circular questions.

Since we use this community to dispel so many tarot-myths, we could use it to help people to break from this habit. Help them to use tarot and other divination methods in more courageous ways.
YES to this.

MareSaturni

moderndayruth said:
This *you* i shall hope is a generic one, yes?

Before I even begin, yes, they were all generic! :D
Sorry I should have made it clear in the beggining of my other post that my "you's" are all rhetoric. LOL!

moderndayruth said:
Yes, i get it. But, some people do prefer the cerebral part - many teenagers are not into Tarot, but are into their own things, books or computers and whatnot - shall we force them to live their lives as we (you) find it appropriate?

Even the cerebral part requires you to try things on your own. Try a new technology, read a new book, have a new idea, imagine something new. That said, being JUST cerebral usually isn't so good - even Einstein had to sit down and *write* his own theory.

Or perhaps he should have sat down and asked the cards "should I write this new theory I came up with?" Imagine if the Tower had shown up. It could just be showing the big breakthrough it'd be in Physics. Or it could be related to how it'd inspire the creation of the atomic bomb. Perhaps our Tarot-Einstein would say "uh-oh, bad idea, calamity ahead" and never write it.

Doesn't mean nobody else would ever write about Special Theory of Relativity, only that it wouldn't have been Eisntein...

moderndayruth said:
Well, you hardly have a contemporary artist or writer who hasn't at least smoked pot at some point time; a lawyer or a journalist has another mindset that includes different way of dealing with reality, an artist allegedly either creates their own or sees the existing one from another point of view.
Not propagating use of drugs, per amor di Dio, but again - one size never fits all.
Wasn't it for his LSD experiemnt, Aldous Huxley wouldn't have written 'the Doors of Perception' and Jim Morrison' s 'the Doors' named after the book would be quite different i suppose; now i can live without best part of lawyers and journalists, but wouldn't like to miss Huxley and Morrison (while your average lawyer can live happily without ever learning of them).

I know all that. I am graduated in journalism, smoking pot is not new for me.

Using you own example, if these same artists and writers had asked the tarot "what will be result doing this LSD experiment?", perhaps tarot would show "big creative potential". And probably it'd also show "lots of brain and physical damage in the end" (because drugs do that when used in excess, and most of brilliant writers and rockstars who did them often weren'y exactly well 20 years later - if they survived). Had they paid heed to warning, they might not have done drugs and created all the nice stuff.

I'm not judging anyone's lifestyle - you missed my point completely, and I do not want to sound disrespectful saying that. I was talking about tarot being in the way of action. What you are talking is people who just go and do it, the very kind of people I'm defending.

People who dare, who take their LSD, who write their theories even when it seems madness, who steal the kiss instead of hoping for it. Not the kind who sit down and ask tarot everyday if they should do this, or if X still loves them, and how did Y react to their last meeting. That's when tarot stops being helpful and becomes hindering.

moderndayruth said:
Well, i am very glad if we on boards here have geniuses who are set up to re-write all the human experience and history too, but willing or not, someone will form or at least influence your opinion - your government, your priest, your school, the papers you read, the people you hang out with... your mother and Tarot happen to be among the best possible options. ;)

The mother, maybe. Tarot? I doubt so. Because it depends ONLY on interepretation, and maybe if I'm feeling suicidal and I get "The Fool" I could easily read it as "go ahead and jump". You could read it as "free yourself from that state of mind". But if I'm reading for myself, then I only get the tarot's opinion, which ultimately is kinda my own.

moderndayruth said:
The situation you describe is highly unlikely and would presume some kind of psychological instability in my view.

Why? You never saw anybody surrender their thoughts and opinions to the television, to the government, to their peers, to what is "in"? Tarot could be just another evil of the kind, if badly used. Perhaps it's unlikely in some places in the world, but where I live it's very common. And from what I see in the divination forums I participate, it's common in other places too.

moderndayruth said:
That's just an oversimplification.

I'm preparing my Master's theses about this very topic, don't worry.

moderndayruth said:
Anyhow, i personally am glad that i am not anymore young enough to think that i know everything and thus i reach for cards...
Mileages vary.

Unfortunately, not everyone is like you. But I like to think that everybody grows out of this stage eventually, and gets help from the tarot to build the life they want.

moderndayruth

Marina said:
Before I even begin, yes, they were all generic! :D
Sorry I should have made it clear in the beggining of my other post that my "you's" are all rhetoric. LOL!
:thumbsup:

Marina said:
Even the cerebral part requires you to try things on your own. Try a new technology, read a new book, have a new idea, imagine something new. That said, being JUST cerebral usually isn't so good - even Einstein had to sit down and *write* his own theory.
Sweetie, but honestly, are we discussing here someone who is overwhelmed with fears and various blockages and some psychological stuff - to that extent that they can't move? They don't do anything? Not the basic life activities?
If that's the case - what i am saying, it is not Tarot that is the problem, it is their own state of mind or (worse) their condition.
In my whole 'divining' life i've never met nor heard of anyone who was in such a bad condition.
Yes, people ask 'will he reply to my sms' - serious people, in career... they are human, we all have these thoughts from time to time, but learn not to subdue to them; for some it takes more to deal with their own stuff.

Marina said:
Perhaps our Tarot-Einstein would say "uh-oh, bad idea, calamity ahead" and never write it.
Some scientist did use divination, notably, certain Nobel prize winners for physics consulted I Ching in their work , Jung comes to mind, probably many others who weren't publicizing it...
Does it seem probable that a person of Einstein's IQ would think "uh-oh, bad idea, calamity ahead" and wouldn't have written the theory? I doubt it.
(He was familiar with Kabbalah, mind you, and the first thing when you began studying it, they tell you - mind you, you might go crazy... Some people did lose their mind, but probably they would have lost it anyway. Did Einstein? Obviously not.)

Marina said:
I'm not judging anyone's lifestyle - you missed my point completely, and I do not want to sound disrespectful saying that. I was talking about tarot being in the way of action.
Ok... if i am still around in 17y, i shall remind you of this conversation... 'Go and get it' attitude starts to seem less and less attractive... it becomes more of 'wait, and what has to will come by itself'. ;)
(Its a very Montenegrin thing too, i do accept the cultural difference here. ;))

Marina said:
Not the kind who sit down and ask tarot everyday if they should do this, or if X still loves them, and how did Y react to their last meeting.
Oh, dear... you are blessed... i have a friend (a respectable person mind you) who regularly asks 'why did i think this and that'?!
Back home i read mostly for friends and friends of friends, all of whom are quite well positioned in the society - obviously they worked their *posteriors* for that... it doesn't change the human nature.

Marina said:
The mother, maybe. Tarot? I doubt so. Because it depends ONLY on interepretation, and maybe if I'm feeling suicidal and I get "The Fool" I could easily read it as "go ahead and jump".
Again, we are speaking about conditions here - if one is suicidal, they need a psychiatrist not a deck of cards.

Marina said:
Why? You never saw anybody surrender their thoughts and opinions to the television, to the government, to their peers, to what is "in"? Tarot could be just another evil of the kind, if badly used.
That's my point - everything can be bad, if used in excess or inappropriately... But asking *does he like me* and *what he thought of me* IS NOT.
Yes i know that you are against any kind of 3d part readings too, but to me this is not a third part reading, you are interacting with that person - and, if you are interested in them, you will wonder whether they like you... if you can read cards, you will. (Again, if they really like you, you'll know, without the cards. ;))

Marina said:
I'm preparing my Master's theses about this very topic, don't worry.
Not worrying at least, i do know that you can read Tarot! :p
Masters on what subject exactly?

Marina said:
But it is my hope that everyone eventually grows out of this stage and really gets some help from the tarot, to build the life they want.
Some will, some will not. When i joined an occult group long time ago, there was twenty of us and the 'leader' did say that only one in seven people will actually do something there.
Many people enroll universities, not all graduate; many start studying languages, far from all learn them properly...
Life is like that, Marina.
Also, we like to 'neuter' Tarot - like its nothing, its just pack of cards...
Well, the Bible is nothing but a book, and nuclear weapons are merely devices...
I do believe that one does have better chances with Tarot though and eventually, given the common sense and psychological stability, it will turn out well.

BrightEye

moderndayruth said:
Yes, people ask 'will he reply to my sms' - serious people, in career...
That would be me...

moderndayruth

BrightEye said:
That would be me...

Lol, no, actually you and i are comparatively quite reasonable, i must say! :D

But, i forgot to add something - i read for people around here and i must say that i am totally seeing the socio-cultural difference between doing the readings in Balkans and in Russia; people are far more contemplative here, hence the questions tend to be far more abstract than back home.

BrightEye

gregory said:
Not to this extent ;)

moderndayruth said:
Lol, no, actually you and i are comparatively quite reasonable, i must say! :D
I beg to differ (speaking only for myself, not mdr).