What artist would you want to create a tarot deck?

RufusJ

I love Maxfield Parrish and would love to see a deck by him. But for spine shivers, I'd choose Arthur Rackham. His illustrations for The Legend of Sleepy Hollow terrified me as a child, but he also taught me to see the what-might-be-theres.

RufusJ

WolfSpirit

catlin said:
I think another cats tarot by Rosina Wachtmeister would be cool (with gold and silver foils!).

You mean there is one already ? And can we see it somewhere ? :)

I would like to see a deck based on the artwork of Franz Marc

And I am still lusting after a Lord of the Rings deck based on the artwork of Alan Lee and John Howe

catlin

@Wolfspirit
As far as I know there is no tarot deck out by R. Wachtmeister. With the word "another" I was referring to cat decks such as cat ppl, Tarot for cats, Tarot of the White cats etc.

catlin

@Tauriosiris:
There are one Dali tarot and 2 da Vinci Tarots available, did you come across them?

SphinYote

Hmm, Let's see. Don't have time to link to artists right now, but maybe the following:

*Susan Seddon Boulet

*Remedios Varo (I actually have seen one of her images someone used in a collage deck)

*Leonora Carrington

*I love the William Blake Tarot, but would think it would be great to see a deck actually BY him.

*Agostino di Duccio (He was a sculptor, but his relief works are wonderful, and some actually strongly resemble images from the so-called Tarocchi di Mantegna-and yes I know that's neither tarot nor by mantegna).

*Fuseli

*John Martin

*I have a love-hate thing going for Pre-Raphaelite art, I think it's beautiful, but it feels like it objectifies women even more than much of the other artwork of the time, and I don't know why it bothers me so much there, as it doesn't really bother me in other art of the period. But all the same, I do wonder how I'd respond to a deck actually by any of the preraphaelites. I'd like to see one just for that reason.

*If no one's said it so far--haven't read the other posts yet, how about we resurect the real Da Vinci and commission a deck from him. :D

Tarot deck artists I'd love to see more decks from:

*Hermann Haindl (were he still alive)--I wonder if it would be possible to do a retrospective book of his art that would include studies for his tarot deck, and the rune deck. Heck, I'd love to see that for ANY tarot artist, I really enjoy seeing the creative process laid out like that....

*Magerite Petersen

*a published version of the OTHER deck by A. E. Waite, which is a completely different style from the Rider/Waite/Coleman/Smith deck, from the few reproductions I've seen.

* Karen Kuykendall (Tarot of the Cat People artist)

I'm sure I can think of infinitely many more, but I have a ten page paper due tomorrow that I haven't started yet, so I really have to stop procrastinating and get started...

SphinYote

OakDragon

SphinYote said:
*a published version of the OTHER deck by A. E. Waite, which is a completely different style from the Rider/Waite/Coleman/Smith deck, from the few reproductions I've seen.

Oooooh, I didn't know there was another one (albeit unpublished)! Do you know where I could find out more about it (preferably online)?

Tauriosiris

catlin said:
@Tauriosiris:
There are one Dali tarot and 2 da Vinci Tarots available, did you come across them?

I think I've seen the pics of one of the da Vinci's, but I'm more interested in seeing one actually designed by him. If only time travel were possible!

Sphinxmoth

oh such good names you people have mentioned.

the Gorey deck would be cool to have, and a Bill Griffith/Zippy deck
would rock.
Remidios Varo would be way cool, and for my personal suggestion,
I would like to see a deck by Andrew Wyeth, or maybe a combined
deck of three Wyeths, Andy, James & NC.