Research Experiment #1

Faolainn Storm

Okay, I thought I'd give this a try:
The Background: (warning complex) I am currently in the process of trying to change subjects at uni (it started back this week, and one of my classes in in Italian, which I don't speak, but no-one told me before I enrolled). So I have cancelled one subject and am hoping to be allowed to enrol in another. There is a slight difficulty as it is a new subject, that replaces several old subjects (the uni is going through a process of revamping their degree structures, courses, etc, I am studying under their old degree structure as I am in my third year, but have to pick subjects from the new structure! Confusing, or what!) Now the real problem with this situation is I did one of the subjects that this new class replaced, but not the others. So I am uncertain whether I will be allowed to enrol in this subject. I have applied to change subjects, but haven't heard back yet. But I should get a response in the next few days.

So my question is "will I be allowed to enrol in 'Epics of Greece and Rome'?"
Deck: Tarot of Dreams
Spread: 3-card Yes/No. Upright=Yes; Reversed=No; Middle card counts twice. (Can interpret cards as Past, Present, Future - left to right)
Cards: Nine of Coins rx, Seven of Coins rx, Three of Swords rx.

Looks like a definite no! The Nine of Coins suggests that I have already done the work, and therefore they would consider it unproductive (Seven of Coins rx). Three of Swords in the future, suggests more difficulties with my degree coming up.

Oh great! Now I've got to figure out another plan for this semester! Oh well, I'll get back to you in a few days to see if this is how it worked out.

Faolainn Storm

I hope this is the sort of reading you wanted, clear yes/no answer and results known soon.

Teheuti

Faolainn Storm said:
"will I be allowed to enrol in 'Epics of Greece and Rome'?" . . .
Looks like a definite no! . . .
I hope this is the sort of reading you wanted, clear yes/no answer and results known soon.
Yes. Looks simple and straightforward to me. Of course I'm finding that it ain't always so. But you should get a definitive answer with this one. We'll see if the Tarot is right.

Mary

Sidhe-Ra

Result?

Sidhe-Ra said:
Sorry about all that- it's past midnight here!

I'm settled on yes, and I mean that as an overall- the aggregate, as you put it. The original three I pulled without specific meanings. Like one card, but with more clarity-(I hoped)

I pulled the fourth as confirmation much as I would do in any reading where I wasn't quite sure of something...

Does that make it clearer?

With something like this, i can't help but look to the bigger picture as well, but simply I'm going to go with an overall yes- she'll do better than expected.

Blessings, (and good night!)

Em xxx

Does this count as a result? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7276305.stm

She did well in the Texas and Ohio votes, which seem to be key. And she's back in the race!

Or is it all a bit too complicated? (Particularly since I don't really know the U.S. system that well.. perhaps I'll stick to something closer to home next time!)

But I will have another go, when I can think of something...or if someone wants to ask me something?

Blessings,

Em xx

Elven

Teheuti said:
The only issue might be that, as you've already shown, all kinds of things can happen between today and when all possibility of litigation is done. They might proceed and then settle, and then have that settlement fall apart and then . . . Or change the terms of the lawsuit, or . . . These kinds of questions are best when there's a definitive time or some other limiting factor included. But, keep us posted. It might be simpler than I'm imagining.

In relation to the reading, the Tolkien Estate will either proceed regardless of variables, or withdraw the case.
I see them proceeding:
Result: Yes

Raya

Teheuti said:
Raya, I hate to say this but I don't think this is not a good question or spread for this project as it's not specific enough. We can trying following up what happens, but it will be hard to say if or when there's a definitive answer and whether or not you were accurate (you listed several possible results). If you date him successfully for a long time (six months, a year, two years?) then I guess your interpretation of the card you drew would be proved wrong. What do you think it would take?

With a research project we have to have pretty definitive guidelines. Item #1 requires that you will SOON know whether your prediction was right or wrong. Will you be able to tell us absolutely either way within a couple of weeks or less? Please let us know.

I guess I was wondering what would happen this weekend on this date, specifically. Will we hit it off or no? Unless he's going to flake out. (Or if there are other circumstances that keep us apart, like a typhoon.) I find that I (and many people) can tell pretty quickly if you are attracted to a person or not. I've never been not attracted to someone, and then months later I change my mind. So either we hit it off, we don't, or he flakes. My prediction is we don't hit it off, and I'll figure I should keep looking. (Not to be pessimistic, but that's what I got from the cards.)

Imagemaker

How will the bathroom renovation progress in the next week?:

3 cards, no defined spread:

Queen of Pentacles
Death
5 wands

I see the materials in the Queen's card, trying to organize all the parts to this job, getting all the items here in the staging area to be installed as needed.

Certainly the 5 wands shows the struggle of getting things built, as we try to get all the subcontractors going in the same direction.

And perhaps Death is the end of the first phase (which went well) and now we face the next phase, which is one of delay and waiting (Purgatory?)

Just to provide an interim report on the project progress: We are indeed "dead in the water" now since the tile man called in sick yesterday and today. And there's still no news on the long-delayed bathtub's arrival.

Monday I primed the walls (The Queen, taking part, coordinating and encouraging the players, too), and when there was difficulty in installing the cabinets on Tuesday, the installer needed feedback from me on placement decisions and discussion on this task.

But also Tuesday tile was to be put down after the cabinets and wasn't, because the tile man had gotten sick. Today he cancelled, too, going to the doctor, so no work is being done at all--a mini-Death to the schedule, at least.

I would say the pentacles (items) of the project are sporadically being moved into place, but the wands (actions) of the subcontractors are not in alignment with each other or with the schedule.

Mary, I don't know if this reading will qualify for your study, but the mid-week evaluation seems to show that the cards were accurate up to now.

elvenstar

Question: Will I be one of the winners in the competition tomorrow?

Result: No.
[/quote]

Argh, accidental edit.

Sinduction

Result of post #22

Sinduction said:
I did the same 3 card spread, asking if my new deck will arrive in the mail tomorrow.

2 Cups, The Emperor, and 6 Cups - again, all reversed. So NO, I will not get the deck tomorrow.

I took the 2 of Cups to mean some sort of miscommunication with my order, the Emperor to be the "man" in charge that somehow is daft, and the 6 of Cups to mean that I was looking too much to the future and ignoring the past.

So I went to check and see when I placed my order and found an email notifying me that the company was refunding my payment since they didn't have any more. Apparently, had I checked my email earlier, I would have gotten the notice instead of impatiently waiting to get my new deck.
In case it wasn't clear in my first post, the reading was right and my deck did not show up in the mail. Since it was never shipped!

This is too much fun :D

Faolainn Storm

Interim result for post #41

Well the future position, there will be more troubles with my degree is certainly coming true. I just got an email that appears to say that I am ok to enrol in Epics of Greece of Greece and Rome, but that I cannot enrol in Greek and Roman Theatre as I do not meet the pre-requisites. I have been enrolled in this subject for months! I have been to the 1st lecture and the computer timetable system still recognises me as being enrolled (mind you it also still recognises me as being enrolled in the subject I dropped, so it's really no help). I now have to wait for a Course Adviser to review my enrolment, which could take days!
I must say I rarely read with reversals (still trying to figure them out), but this reading with all reversals does seem to be accurately reflecting the difficulties of my current situation! And I pulled another card for the subject I dropped, and got yet another reversal! Seems like I'm just not going to get anywhere in the near future.

Well, will report back again when I get more information.
Faolainn Storm

Teheuti

Faolainn Storm said:
I just got an email that appears to say that I am ok to enrol in Epics of Greece and Rome
Faolainn -
I sympathize with your frustration, and can see how the reversals in the reading reflect your overall difficulties.

But, purely in terms of the facts of the experiment - the reading appears to have been inaccurate. The cards predicted that you would NOT get to enroll in Epics of Greece and Rome and you state here that you did get in.

Part of what I'm hoping we'll do here is to get a much clearer idea of what kinds of predictive readings work best, how to best phrase our questions, and how to get the best information we can from the cards.

There's been practically no research done on Tarot readings. In part this is because we see it as an intuitive art and not a science. But scientists like Gerd Gigerenzer of the Max Planck Institute have been researching the role of intuition and the way we make decisions. Gigerenzer provided much of the research that's behind Malcolm Gladwell's runaway bestseller, _Blink_. Gigerenzer's own book _Gut Feelings: The Intelligence of the Unconscious_ is well worth reading.

Mary