One card to describe your reading style

JackofWands

If you had to choose one Tarot card to describe the way that you read, what would you pick and why?

I think that for myself, I would go with the Hierophant. I like traditions and systems, and I bring that attitude very much to Tarot reading. Plus, the grounded, practical energy of Taurus is linked to my views on what Tarot is and what it can do, and I like the general image of consultation and seeking that's associated with this card.

Others? I tend to ask this question early on when I meet someone who reads Tarot, and I've gotten a lot of the Star and the High Priestess. Still, I'd be interested to see what other ATers have to say on the matter.

Barleywine

What a great question! One card to rule them all . . . :)

I like the Hermit in its "higher wisdom" aspect of "showing the way" and "shining a light on the path." Not so much the Virgo correspondence, although the subtle process of carefully weighing and correlating all of the meanings in a reading does benefit from that quality.

GotH

The Empress.

She's creative, caring and gives advice like a mother would to her children and loved ones. So I try to take a different approach to each reading I give and when doing written or online readings, I like to make them visually appealing by adding appropriate pictures. I love the art of reading tarot so if the time comes when I don't love it anymore, I'll stop entirely. I also enjoy helping people out with their concerns about life. Yep, I'm the Empress.

EyeAmEye

Justice

"I calls it as I sees it..." :)

If it reads good, so be it. If it reads bad, so be it. I don't pull punches. No emphasis on one part of the reading over another. It is what it is.

laurence

I would say the bateleur or magician: using the 4 elemental dignities at disposal.

Thoughtful

Queen of Cups, loving, intuitive and empathic. Though l also think the Empress suits as well.

jolie_amethyst

I think I'm still new enough at this to be the Fool. "Ooh, look at that!" & "Just think of all we can discover!" Every spread still seems like a fine new adventure, with the deck as my traveling companion.

Then again, Queen of Swords: "Here's the Truth, whether you're happy about it or not. If you weren't ready to hear it, why did you ask?" LOL This is why I mostly read for myself! :joke:

Barleywine

Every spread still seems like a fine new adventure, with the deck as my traveling companion.

Guess what? It still feels that way to me and I've been at it for several decades :) I think of it as a shared voyage of discovery with the deck AND the querent as traveling companions.

Sirena84

Fool :)

going with the flow and adapting to the situation and the person.. I tend to free style a lot too.. don't like structured spreads.. I make it up as I go along.. and not scared the dark and bad cards.. they all have their purpose and try to see the positive in the situaition even if it is out of something bad..and trusting what I feel more than what is in front of me.. :)