Contacting Spirit Guides with the Tarot

Farzon

Actually I have two questions I am interested in, both closely connected. But maybe answering the first would be better off in another part of the forum... nevertheless:

How do you know about your spirit guides in the first place? Their presence, character and appearance? And then my main interest, how does the contact via Tarot work? How do you establish it and when you have done the reading, how do you know it is from the respective spirit? Is it simply a matter of believing?

Spiderwoman

Yes

Hi

I have just been asking myself exactly the same questions. And haven't come up with any answers that I am happy with. Added to that I have been wondering if there are some decks that are much better suited for questions of this kind than others.

Tanga

Actually I have two questions I am interested in, both closely connected. But maybe answering the first would be better off in another part of the forum... nevertheless:

How do you know about your spirit guides in the first place? Their presence, character and appearance? And then, how does the contact via Tarot work? How do you establish it and when you have done the reading, how do you know it is from the respective spirit? Is it simply a matter of believing?

I can answer the 1st bit of your question by sharing my own experience. The rest I cannot comment on - as I've never conversed with my guides using a Tarot deck (and only just got the idea from joining this forum :) I'll get around to trying it when it fits...). In-fact the rest of your question could be my own - so I shall be watching this thread closely.

So - here goes:

Spirit guides first "appeared" to me (or I decided to have some - I'm never quite sure which) when I began exploring/learning forms of "alternative" therapy, or esoteric practice.
In every case - I was not deliberately looking to find one. It just seemed that I repeatedly began "seeing" them like a sort of vision, or "idea" that followed me around - and after a while I figured they must be what everyone described as guides.
It is possible to deliberately sit through a guided meditation to "find your spirit guide" - and indeed, in Shamanic practice (neo-practice I think - I know very little) I believe one goes on a guided pathworking to a specific plane, to find one's personal spirit guide/s.

My 1st two "appeared" to me, during my Reiki 1 attunement many years ago.
Whilst lying there with my eyes closed having the attunement - I saw and heard a number of things. I saw a guide in the form of an Arctic fox sitting at my feet, and one as a man at my side - sort-of Mongolian looking.
The image and characteristics of the guides (together with what I know and have since researched) unfolded over time. And they come and go. The fox, I usually "see" when I'm struggling with baggage from my past or shadow self (and possibly past lives too - though I've never gone much into that). The Mongolian, I see him less often. He reminds me of my strength - and I rarely need reminding these days.

Another guide appeared whilst I was at a psychic awareness class, at The College of Psychic Studies (London). I just had an impression of a symbol drawn in the sand, and a rather angelic sounding name popped into my head (we were doing a focussing exercise with sand that night).
[Things often 'pop' into my head - or I sort of "hear" them - apparently, this is called clairaudience. More Lol. ...Perhaps.]

And I have one that "appears" whilst I practice meditation. She feels like someone is looking over my shoulder - listening to my chanting. Perhaps she's tut-tutting at my pronunciation? (Sanskrit). :)

Ackces1

Spirit Guides

I would also love to get in touch on this topic! I have always felt a strong connection to felines of all types except lions. More notably the house cat and mountain lions. I've also experienced contact from someone I beleive to be my grandfather who passed when my dad was about 13. That was approximately 13 years ago when the craft started calling to me.

Blessed Be

Alta

Hopefully this thread can more or less stay with the tarot-spirit guide link, otherwise perhaps open a second thread in Spirituality for the issue of spirit guides unrelated to tarot.

Padma

Farzon, perhaps meditating with one card, a different one each day, would help. I used the Majors for this exercise. I would light a candle, hold a crystal, and stare at the card in an unfocused way, allowing myself to enter the card so to speak, and walk around in it, and see if the subject of the card wished to speak to me.

If I felt a connection, or heard something from the archetype in the card, I would then go further, asking for a name or for discussion of some kind. Some cards I felt nothing, and no one spoke; other cards I would feel a welcoming, I would get messages from the card, in my mind, and I would begin to hear names and the like *after* my meditation was done. Which I found interesting. I would normally end the evening by thanking the guides, and blowing out the candle doorway.

From this, I got two names, and impressions of two gents - one from the Medieval period, another from the Georgian period. And one primary, a woman who speaks to me in soothing tones, usually telling me that all shall be well :) I think it is Saint Julian of Norwich. It appears she is one of my guides :)

The animal ones find me, simply by appearing continuously almost everywhere I look, or calling me to paint them. Rabbit has been with me for years.

Anyways, worth a try! :) If nothing else, you will get to know your cards really well! :D

danieljuk

I think you get a lot from spirit guides and info about them from meditation and there is specific meditations where you can talk to them. I think you have the most contact when you are the most quiet and relaxed and contemplative. But to keep it on the tarot topic, I haven't personally tried to use tarot with mine. I think I will one day and see what I get from it.

There is some amazing spirit guide spreads in the spread index here.
here is some links to a few of them to try and get in touch with them....

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=23957
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=131097
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=70796
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=70794

I think I will have a go with one of those spreads and see what comes up :)

ellpi

You could shuffle and ask for assistance to connect to your guides.
You could use a 3 card spread and consider each revealed card as a part of the process of what you need to know.
For instance, you could lay your first card and ask what you need to know about connecting with your guides, then what will be your challenge to overcome (for instance, you might need to release your ego) the third card could reveal the connection into the future.

Hope that makes sense.

Your guides are always with you, you can connect with them anytime, its usually just our mind that gets in the way.

Tanga

There is some amazing spirit guide spreads in the spread index here.
here is some links to a few of them to try and get in touch with them....

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=23957
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=131097
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=70796
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=70794

I think I will have a go with one of those spreads and see what comes up :)

You could shuffle and ask for assistance to connect to your guides.
You could use a 3 card spread and consider each revealed card as a part of the process of what you need to know.

Thankyou!
I'm off to play...

Chrystella

I know of my ancestor and other spirit guides through years of mediumship work. The Afro-Cuban religion that I practice, Lucumi, has a lot of Spiritism in it. Honouring your ancestors and learning to communicate with spirits are important parts of the religion.

Of all the professional tarot readings I've ever had, I've only had four excellent, dead on ones. Two were by Mary K. Greer at PantheaCon. The other two were by women in orisha traditions who communicate messages from ancestor and spirit guides. One of them didn't use cards at all. She just set down a glass of water and tuned in. The other used Spanish playing cards (typical of old Cuban ladies). She also put down a glass of water, said a prayer and asked to speak with my ancestor and spirit guides, and just tuned in. The water is said to act like a conduit between the worlds and is also refreshing and nourishing to spirits.

I think it's worth exploring how you think tarot works, where you think the answers come from. For these two women, the messages that come from the cards come from spirit guides.