Ten of Pentacles

Ruby Jewel

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced or read about the Ten of Pentacles as representing a married man or woman. In other words, someone the querent is interested is actually already married. I know the card carries the meaning of "discontent." Note the Tower in the left background...something is awry in the marriage...or family life.

Pipistrelle

Personally, I've never come across this angle but I think it could make sense in the right context. The 10 of Pentacles relates to tradition and family heritage as well as wealth. And a marriage is a link in the family tree. I would perhaps interpret it with regards to the strong familial bonds.

I might be more inclined to see, say, the Morgan Greer 10 of Pentacles as this - as it shows a man and a woman in the 'ancestral home' - rather than the more common RWS scene.

Discontent...? Yes, the 10 of Pentacles can feel suffocating sometimes so perhaps, but only if backed up by other cards. I would be wary of someone seeing what they'd like to see there. :)

spookyboo22

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced or read about the Ten of Pentacles as representing a married man or woman. In other words, someone the querent is interested is actually already married. I know the card carries the meaning of "discontent." Note the Tower in the left background...something is awry in the marriage...or family life.

Hi
One way I have of seeing it is the card of the gold digger.
The woman is trying to get to the old man with the money but the guard is stopping her.
The old man knows he is vulnerable to this and employs a guard to stop it x

Puffette

Yes! I used to have a thread related to romance in which i shuffled for many people. Everytime i was asking if the querent or the person she asked about are or were married in the past,I was getting the 10 of pentacles.Later i got confirmation that i was right. But this card does not guarantee happy life or romance.. i put that more on the 10 of cups's side.

Absynthe

My personal experience of the Ten Of Pentacles when it relates to relationships is that it's a very traditional kind of arrangement. And by that I mean it has nothing to do with love and a lot to do with economics, status and establishing a position in society. So if it is indicating a marriage I would not be hoping for a breakdown of it. People in these marriages do not care that the feeling has gone or was never there. It's an economic and social arrangement that they will not give up. Keeping up appearances would be an apt way to describe it. Now matter how dissatisfied they may feel they will stick with it because their personal status depends upon it.

You can see such marriages everywhere in cultures outside the Western world. Our little bubble of the globe is basically the only place where marriage is associated with love. In less affluent society people marry for advantage and if they do that, they don't sacrifice it for anything except a higher advantage.

Pipistrelle

My personal experience of the Ten Of Pentacles when it relates to relationships is that it's a very traditional kind of arrangement. And by that I mean it has nothing to do with love and a lot to do with economics, status and establishing a position in society.
This is a really good explanation Absynthe. I've learned something here!

And I agree with what Puffette said - it's very different to the 10 of Cups.

Padma

I would have taken the meaning less as the person is already married, (though I see how that could make sense with the right cards supporting the theory) and take it more to mean the person represented by that card is a traditionalist, and would rather busy themselves with family and home, and the building of a dynasty and of wealth, than with excitement and adventure or affairs.

I would only think something was awry in the family life if, for example, the Four or Eight of Cups came up along with it, showing a sense of boredom or weariness/lack of satisfaction with the known and the traditional, and perhaps a longing to break free from that.

Ruby Jewel

Personally, I've never come across this angle but I think it could make sense in the right context. The 10 of Pentacles relates to tradition and family heritage as well as wealth. And a marriage is a link in the family tree. I would perhaps interpret it with regards to the strong familial bonds.

I might be more inclined to see, say, the Morgan Greer 10 of Pentacles as this - as it shows a man and a woman in the 'ancestral home' - rather than the more common RWS scene.

Discontent...? Yes, the 10 of Pentacles can feel suffocating sometimes so perhaps, but only if backed up by other cards. I would be wary of someone seeing what they'd like to see there. :)

Good advice....sometimes we do tend to see something we are looking for. Thanks.

Ruby Jewel

Hi
One way I have of seeing it is the card of the gold digger.
The woman is trying to get to the old man with the money but the guard is stopping her.
The old man knows he is vulnerable to this and employs a guard to stop it x

I like your interpretation a lot....I'm adding to my book of tarot knowledge. Thanks.

Ruby Jewel

Yes! I used to have a thread related to romance in which i shuffled for many people. Everytime i was asking if the querent or the person she asked about are or were married in the past,I was getting the 10 of pentacles.Later i got confirmation that i was right. But this card does not guarantee happy life or romance.. i put that more on the 10 of cups's side.

Alright! I was wondering if I were stretching my imagination too far. I had gotten it along with the Emperor and Empress in a love query. I always thought the unhappiness or discontent in this card was due to putting the emphasis on material possessions as opposed to real love. It is nice to have your input. thanks.