When to use only minor or major arcanas

NickyB

Hi, I was wondering in what spreads or situations we would use only minor or major arcanas in our readings. Am I supposed to use both minor and major in the majority of situations or spreads?

danieljuk

Welcome to the forum Nicky! :thumbsup:

The Major Arcana are big cards, they are messages from the universe and themes. They are the major parts of our lives and perhaps destined things if you believe in that. You can't really change this, it's "bigger" than us.

The Minor Arcana are the cards which represent the mundane and day to day life. These are things we can change and at our level. The little nuances of life.

I feel that a reading should be made up of both parts for balance, the big messages and the day to day stuff. But it's fun to experiment with this! People often do major arcana readings for the big questions in their life. What is my destiny? what is my career path? It can give quite big readings, you can use the minor for day to day lives, what will happen today? Some reading systems and historic decks only use one part or the other. Another reading method is the separate them and take cards from each. You can learn from doing that as well, learn one part first.

But I think there is a reason why there is two parts of the deck, I do Major Arcana spreads about once a year for myself, the rest of the time I use them together! Experiment for yourself, learn their different roles but I agree with you for the majority of the time to use all.

AnemoneRosie

I don't read with minors-only. If I need "light" reading I'll use my oracle cards (and they can still get pretty heavy sometimes, as I'm not a fan of fluffy affirmation-style ones).
I do read with majors-only sometimes. I use them for figuring out timing. Timing, for me, is a very loose deal based on "what lesson do I need to know in order for [situation] to pass?" The lesson comes from the majors.

The vast majority of the time a tarot reading will comprise both minors and majors, depending on whichever cards care to show up for the reading.

tarot_quest

I do read with majors-only sometimes. I use them for figuring out timing. Timing, for me, is a very loose deal based on "what lesson do I need to know in order for [situation] to pass?" The lesson comes from the majors.

I use majors too for timing questions. Do you feel that sometimes, the major does not indicate a ''timing'', but what you have to work on or what will happen when that event takes place?

I feel lately that my deck does not answer some timing question correctly (so that I have to look at the meaning of the major instead)

nisaba

Hi, I was wondering in what spreads or situations we would use only minor or major arcanas in our readings. Am I supposed to use both minor and major in the majority of situations or spreads?

You can use whatever you like in your own readings - you are the reader. :)

There are no supposed-tos. Do whatever is comfortable for you.