Servants of the Light. Opinions?

Citrin

I'm thinking of getting this one, but not sure because I can't find many pictures online, same with reviews... The ones I've seen look good though!

Does anyone here have it? Is it practical or very meditative? Strong sides, weak sides...? Any comment is appreciated. :)

Alta

I have it, arcanalefait sold me a copy (having two).

The deck was conceived and the book written by Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki, a well known author on esoteric subjects. "She teaches seminars on the topic all over the world,has published eighteen books on occult and spiritual subjects, and heads the correspondence school Servants of the Light School of Occult Science."

It was illustrated by two more well known tarotists: Jo Gill (of Gill tarot fame) did the majors and Anthony Clark (of Magickal Tarot fame) did the minors. Consequently the majors and minors have a different feel to them, but not really a clash.

The minors are what I would call semi-illustrated, which to say some of them are and some of them aren't. I find the higher numbered pips tend to have more illustration than the lower numbered ones.

The courts are named: User, Giver, Keeper and Prime. Honestly, I have to look that up every time. Giver is definitely the queen.

It is an interesting deck, I have read with it. Some of the cards are really inspired. Some are not imo. True of a lot of decks.

Edited to add: Is it practical or very meditative? Personally I find some of the cards meditative but not all of them. It is a readable deck, no problem there.

The courts are really excellent. I wish Clark had done as good a job on some of the pips.

Citrin

Hmm that does sound interesting. Thank you for the information, Marion! :)

WolfSpirit

I think the deck is not talked about much because it is so hard to find.
Good luck in finding a copy !

Alta

Yes, I wondered that myself. I take it you have a copy lined up Citrin? This isn't a deck you just decide one day to buy. :( If not for the kindness of arcanalefait, I can't imagine how I would have gotten a copy.

Citrin

Oh, I heard that. I have a friend in the north who has a friend who's thinking of selling her copy. Since she knows I like tarot she asked me if I'd consider buying it. So we'll see how it goes. :)