How to keep readings light (at a party)

Amsonia

If you were giving readings at a party for entertainment (not professionally, just around the campfire at home while having a few drinks), how do you keep things light? Do you have a specific spread or general rules?

I'm not fond of having people tear up or get super serious when we are all trying to have a good time....

Any advice?

I want to enjoy doing card readings for friends and bring out my cards more, but things get too serious too fast...

Barleywine

I think I would use smaller spreads with less of a chance to get too involved in messy details. Probably three-carders, or at most five. I would play to the nature of the middle card, with the side cards as modifiers rather than trying to read a "past/present/future" scenario which might lead to way too much discussion. I would probably focus on psychological aspects more than action/event stuff, which is basically the same way popular natal astrology works. Treat the reading as a "snapshot" of the sitter's current status rather than a possible progression over time. (If they ask, you can beg off by saying there isn't enough detail to talk about future developments, and suggest a private session at some future date.) Finally, I would most likely use one of my more "vanilla" decks instead of one that's chock-full of esoteric symbolism. I'm thinking something like the Connolly.

I might start with something like: "This is a picture of you at the moment, where you're centered or what you are - or perhaps should be - focused on (middle card) and what resources you have to work with (outside cards)." Elemental dignities work well for this, but I would keep the technical details to myself and just speak of the qualities they impart to the focus card.

Padma

I would adopt a happy and light tone, and just do one carders for silly questions ("just for fun, let's see if...") and I would use a fun deck, like the Halloween tarot or the Housewives or something that looks less serious (though they give equally meaningful answers!) I wouldn't get too deep, and just read the card face-value, as a funny one-line answer. Keeping a bantering and jokey tone will set the stage for what you desire or intend, imo. :)

That has been my take at dinner parties, if asked to read for entertainment! I kept it short, and light, kept the answers funny, and kept it public - no "tete a tetes" over the cards, off in a corner somewhere.

I hope that helps :)

Le Fanu

The thing is, deep down, everyone has a serious question that they really want answers to. You can try and keep it light I suppose, but before long it's closed doors and more serious stuff as people want to seize their chance! LOL The perils of bringing your cards out...

Having said that, as mentioned above, I think the snapshot of "now", where you are now, is a good bet. Or maybe the week ahead... Or a spread based on "things to watch out for". It's pointers/heads up without being too predictive.

CrystalSeas

Sometimes when giving "entertainment" readings, I remove Death from the deck before I go.

delinfrey

I guess you've sometimes got to adopt a healthy attitude towards "serious" topics as well. I don't avoid "deeper" readings and I definitely don't remove any cards, but I always have a deck with me and more often than not, I get asked to do a reading. What I think helps:

- keep it public. You are not a tarot-mule or a therapist - if your querent is ready to ask in public, it is probably not a very dark issue

- keep it short. 1-3 cards, one simple question, no epic pattern looking.

- keep it limited. Don't offer readings if you're not up for it

Barleywine

Sometimes when giving "entertainment" readings, I remove Death from the deck before I go.

This is why I might choose the Connolly: it renames Death as "Transition" and the Devil as "Materialism," allowing you to keep the essential meaning of each card in play while avoiding negative reactions.

gregory

MAYBE - if it's just for fun at a party - YOU set the question for the whole lot. A fun one. Like what you will get for Christmas, or what your pet thinks about the cat next door....

I'm SURE someone here can come up with a better one that will avoid the heavies.

Apollonia

If you really want to keep it light, you will have to control the questions, or as Le Fanu said, soon it will be, "Why did he leave me?" and "Will I ever find someone?"

When I read for children, I like to say, "Let's ask the cards, what are you strengths, your gifts, and your blessings, and what good surprises are in store for you?" I think something along that line would work for keeping it light.

Darkmage

I only do quick three carders at parties. I also have a timer--each sitter gets 5 minutes TOPS. This includes the time it takes to shuffle the cards.

If they want a full reading, they can book me later.

But yeah, keep it light if you can. 3 cards provides a snapshot, as was said before. You *can't* go into a lot of depth that way. And if someone doesn't have a question but still wants their cards read, I like 'What's the most important thing I need to know right now?' Usually 3 cards can give a good overview of a situation.

As for friendly decks, I'd add the Aquarian. There's no nudity in it of any kind. People get offended by the weirdest stuff and it's wise to have something totally non-offensive.