Cutting

Nemia

I cut four times because four is "my" number, and every single number is holy and meaningful. (Of course, 3 and 4 with their "big brothers" 7 and 12 are always specialer than special ;-) ) I cut with my left hand because it's the hand I use less so it gives a little feeling of non-routine. I look at the four packs and then combine them back as I see fit, without thinking about it.

I didn't plan it, that's just how I do it and for me, it feels right. I believe that if you believe it works, then it works. And it does.

NorthernLight

I tend to go with my gut about cutting. Very often I just fan the deck and feel my way towards the right cards. It's weird, I get a physical sensation in my cheek that sort of leads me towards one side!

DarkWolf

I tend to go with my gut about cutting. Very often I just fan the deck and feel my way towards the right cards. It's weird, I get a physical sensation in my cheek that sort of leads me towards one side!

I fan my deck when I am trying to choose a card for the day, or for yes/no type situations. I too get a physical sensation, but it is in my hand as I hover it back and forth over the cards. It literally is a hot/cold reaction. I know I am around the right card when I feel an intense warmth in my hand.

So, no, you are not weird! :)

DarkWolf

DarkWolf

I cut four times because four is "my" number, and every single number is holy and meaningful.

That is an interesting idea, using your special number as the denominator for cutting the deck. It would be intriguing to try using my personal numerology number and see what happens.

DarkWolf

CrystalSeas

I have the querent cut the deck with their left hand and place the stacks of cards on the table.

I use three because the bottom cards on each stack form a mini past/present/future summary of the reading . Once the cards are placed face down, I turn them over momentarily and then turn them back face down, paying attention to which card is at the bottom of the 'past' stack, which card is at the bottom of the 'present' stack and which card is at the bottom of the 'future' stack

When I'm done I have the querent re-stack the cards and I watch to see which order they stack them.

The mini-reading using the bottom card of each stack plus the knowledge of which stack I start dealing from helps me get an overall feel for the reading.

It's a little more elaborate than just looking at the single bottom card.

DarkWolf

I have the querent cut the deck with their left hand and place the stacks of cards on the table.

I use three because the bottom cards on each stack form a mini past/present/future summary of the reading . Once the cards are placed face down, I turn them over momentarily and then turn them back face down, paying attention to which card is at the bottom of the 'past' stack, which card is at the bottom of the 'present' stack and which card is at the bottom of the 'future' stack

When I'm done I have the querent re-stack the cards and I watch to see which order they stack them.

The mini-reading using the bottom card of each stack plus the knowledge of which stack I start dealing from helps me get an overall feel for the reading.

It's a little more elaborate than just looking at the single bottom card.

Sorry CrystalSeas,

I am a little confused by your description. Could you maybe break it down simpler for me please? :confused:

DarkWolf

CrystalSeas

Have the querent shuffle the deck while thinking about the question.
Have the querent place the deck face down on the table.
Using their left hand, have the querent lift 1/3 of the deck off the top of the stack and place it, still face down, to one side.
Using their left hand, have the querent lift about 1/2 of the remaining cards off the top of the stack, and place it, still face down, to the other side.

You, as reader, turn the piles over and observe the cards.
The pile to the querent's left is the 'past' pile. Observe what card is on the bottom of that pile
The pile in the middle is the 'present' pile. Observe what card is on the bottom of that pile.
The pile to the querent's right is the 'future' pile. Observe what card is on the bottom of that pile.

These three cards give you a quick past/present/future view of the querent's issue.

Have the querent place the three piles together into one stack.
Observe the order so that you know which of the three piles is at the top of the stack. You will be dealing your spread starting with those top cards

If the 'past' pile is on top, your reading is going to be heavily influenced by the querent's past.
If the 'present' pile is on top your reading is going to be heavily influenced by what is going on right now for the querent
If the 'future' pile is on top, your reading is going to be heavily influenced by what is coming in the future for the querent.

Now you pick up the stack of cards and deal and read your spread as usual. The preliminary cutting of the deck has simply given you extra information that will help you understand what the cards are trying to say.

DarkWolf

CrystalSeas, thank you for breaking things down like that. I understand the process now.

It is an interesting way to read for a querent. I shall try it out when I have the chance to read for someone.

Thanks,

DarkWolf

nisaba

I guess I will just stick with what I am doing, since the cards come out right.

Yep, if it's working for you then keep doing it. But there isn't any set way, that people *should* do. :)

Barleywine

Have the querent shuffle the deck while thinking about the question.
Have the querent place the deck face down on the table.
Using their left hand, have the querent lift 1/3 of the deck off the top of the stack and place it, still face down, to one side.
Using their left hand, have the querent lift about 1/2 of the remaining cards off the top of the stack, and place it, still face down, to the other side.

You, as reader, turn the piles over and observe the cards.
The pile to the querent's left is the 'past' pile. Observe what card is on the bottom of that pile
The pile in the middle is the 'present' pile. Observe what card is on the bottom of that pile.
The pile to the querent's right is the 'future' pile. Observe what card is on the bottom of that pile.

These three cards give you a quick past/present/future view of the querent's issue.

Have the querent place the three piles together into one stack.
Observe the order so that you know which of the three piles is at the top of the stack. You will be dealing your spread starting with those top cards

If the 'past' pile is on top, your reading is going to be heavily influenced by the querent's past.
If the 'present' pile is on top your reading is going to be heavily influenced by what is going on right now for the querent
If the 'future' pile is on top, your reading is going to be heavily influenced by what is coming in the future for the querent.

Now you pick up the stack of cards and deal and read your spread as usual. The preliminary cutting of the deck has simply given you extra information that will help you understand what the cards are trying to say.

Interesting. I did something similar with the 4-pile method at the start of the Opening of the Key sequence. Rather than just finding the significator in one of the packs as a preliminary indicator of the area of life the upcoming reading will focus on, after the cut I first turn over the top card in each pack to see if one card is more prominent than any of the others (maybe a Major Arcana card). If so, I'll look in that pile first, and if the significator is there I will give the subject of the pile closer attention (Wands = work, business, enterprise, etc; Cups = emotional matters such as love, marriage, pleasure; Swords = decisions, difficulties, mental stresses, etc; Pentacles = purely material matters involving money, goods, etc).

All of these methods are too time-consuming for public readings, so I reserve them for personal reading or situations where time isn't a limiting factor.