The 'Just drawing a card...' problem.

euripides

How do you do your daily draw? Do you have a question? A direction even, what you should focus on, what you should avoid?

I've had a tendency to just 'pull a card' without thinking about what I was actually asking.

As a flipside to my 'can't always get what you want' observation about reading, this results in a 'could be anything you want' reading. Without a position in a spread, without a question (a bit like the old 'clarifier', really) the 'just pulling a card' could be read as a warning, an invitation, it could be us, it could be someone else... it could be anything, really.

I feel an intuitive reader might suggest that we should, intuitively, understand what the message is. And perhaps so. But I think part of the whole point of using Tarot and its traditions is to give our insight some boundaries and focus.

So when I 'draw a card for the day', what am I actually asking?

Nemia

How does this card connect to my life at this moment?

How is the energy of this card manifesting in my life right now?

What useful advice, warning or encouragement does this card give me right now?

euripides

How does this card connect to my life at this moment?

How is the energy of this card manifesting in my life right now?

What useful advice, warning or encouragement does this card give me right now?

These sound extremely open. Would it not make more sense to draw 'a warning' and 'an encouragement?

Or do you find you can respond easily to an open-ended question?

Nemia

Each card has an encouragement and a warning. For a Card of the Day, one is enough. I put it up in front of me on my writing desk and continue to look at it.

Once I use two cards, it's a real spread already and that feels different to me.

Sorry if my reply was not very helpful; it works for me (also when doing Card of the Day readings for others).

page of wands

How do you do your daily draw? Do you have a question? A direction even, what you should focus on, what you should avoid?

I've had a tendency to just 'pull a card' without thinking about what I was actually asking.

As a flipside to my 'can't always get what you want' observation about reading, this results in a 'could be anything you want' reading. Without a position in a spread, without a question (a bit like the old 'clarifier', really) the 'just pulling a card' could be read as a warning, an invitation, it could be us, it could be someone else... it could be anything, really.

I feel an intuitive reader might suggest that we should, intuitively, understand what the message is. And perhaps so. But I think part of the whole point of using Tarot and its traditions is to give our insight some boundaries and focus.

So when I 'draw a card for the day', what am I actually asking?

when i draw a card for the day. my sole purpose is to learn tarot. i keep a journal and write about the card. but what i've found is every single day the card has predicted the day or set a theme for the day. or for today, it described perfectly an important person i would speak with. all i did was draw a card for the day, thinking "wednesday" in my head. not much deeper than that.

Pipistrelle

Sometimes I ask 'what will today bring' and sometimes I ask for advice. But I generally don't have a 'daily card' habit because I often find it hard to fit in if I'm doing it properly (e.g. focusing and shuffling my normal way). Often I just want a card on my desk to mull over throughout the day so I just cut the deck and pick one. That way it doesn't have to mean anything. It's just something to ponder without trying to relate it to anything in particular.

Citrin

I often ask "What message do I need to keep in mind today?".

I am personally more into drawing 2-5 cards when I use tarot, but sometimes one will do (with some decks). So let's say I draw The Hermit, then I need to keep in mind that my soul craves some solitude and connection with myself that day. If I draw the Two of Swords it's an encouragement to not keep stalling a decision. If I draw The Sun I'm encouraged to get out, be social and embrace play and fun.

So I see that card (or those cards) as advisory so that I can make the most of my day.

I prefer to have some kind of question, even a very open one, and not draw a card with nothing in mind. It just gives me too many possibilities of interpretation = confusing. ;) There are good "meditation decks" out there, for me I'm not sure a tarot deck is one of them.

Deana86

I draw my daily tarots asking for advice, what the day ahead may be like, what message the tarot may tell me. I'm a learning also, every daily card I draw, it all goes down in my journal.

Have an open mind, concentrate on what advice you want your tarots to guide you with.

With some specific questions you might ask the tarots, don't always expect a clear answer. I once asked them if I should stop all communication ties with my ex and I drew the 2 of cups. 2 of cups is similar to the lovers card, so I get the whole lovey Dovey part but it didn't guide me in what I needed advice with. But even thay card alone has made me not want to give up.

Focus your energies on the cards before drawing one out.

Original Destiny

I'm not disciplined enough to do a daily draw but on occasions I draw one card and ask "show me something I need to know" or "show me something hidden" I have no answer to why I ask the above its something I've done for many years
John

Deana86

I'm not disciplined enough to do a daily draw but on occasions I draw one card and ask "show me something I need to know" or "show me something hidden" I have no answer to why I ask the above its something I've done for many years
John
I must try those questions, I've never thought of asking the tarots those questions. Thank you