What are your thoughts on the infamous "Happy Squirrel" card?

EmpyreanKnight

Lol some just remove the card when they perform their readings. Do you dispense with yours when you use your Revelations Tarot? I keep the Master card when I use the Osho Zen because its archetype appeals to me.

By the way, I noticed that in the vid, the Happy Squirrel card is numbered XXIII or 23. That must mean that the Fool is XXII or 22 instead of 0, which I think is quite rare.

Grizabella

In one of my decks (I think it's the Pioneer Tarot but I'm not sure it's called that) there's a card called the Jackalope, which is a rabbit wearing a set of deer horns. I just see it as a joke and don't use it with the deck, but if I did keep it in the deck when reading, I'd give it a light-hearted meaning of some sort. That's what I think the Happy Squirrel is meant to be.

Tanga

:joke:
The Silhouette Tarot has one - it's so cute. It make me feel all warm and fuzzy...
Oh oh - a bit like a squirrel with it's cute antics...
I'd read it probably with this sort of mood (pardon me - he's on his side...):

Attachments

• TheHappySquirrel.jpg
    TheHappySquirrel.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 331

Nemia

I like it and don't remove it. In my deck collection, the Touchstone, Maria Celia and Silhouettes have it, and I think it's a welcome touch of humour. When it comes up, I interpret it as a nice and funny surprise, a very light and easy touch of fun, not connected to any system or hierarchy. It's a contemporary motif and that's great.

It reminds me a bit of the Cologne Cathedral, a Gothic church that has a very long history. Every responsible architect gets a sculpted portrait of himself somewhere up on the towers. Among the last ones was one with a cell phone.

http://www.hindrichs.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/cimg3725.jpg

He lives there now peacefully with late medieval imagery, a sign and symbol of the fact that a Gothic cathedral is never done and finished.

The tarot is alive, too, and the happy squirrel is one of the signs for that.

Barleywine

I don't have a deck with one in it, but if I did I think I would leave it in and, if it appears in a spread, I would lay another card on top of it and treat it as an "inner squirrel" for the purpose of the reading. We all have an "inner squirrel" . . . don't we???

Michellehihi

I keep it in the deck and read it with the knowledge I have of squirrels (here in Quebec we have loads and loads of them). They are cute but forget the tulips and sunflowers in your garden! They eat them! Remember, a squirrel is basically a rat with a nice tail.

Barleywine

I keep it in the deck and read it with the knowledge I have of squirrels (here in Quebec we have loads and loads of them). They are cute but forget the tulips and sunflowers in your garden! They eat them! Remember, a squirrel is basically a rat with a nice tail.

As Monty Python would have said (and I often do) "It's got some rat in it!"

Michellehihi

As Monty Python would have said (and I often do) "It's got some rat in it!"

Haha Page of Wands, does it reconcile you with the Happy Squirrel card?

page of wands

In one of my decks (I think it's the Pioneer Tarot but I'm not sure it's called that) there's a card called the Jackalope, which is a rabbit wearing a set of deer horns. I just see it as a joke and don't use it with the deck, but if I did keep it in the deck when reading, I'd give it a light-hearted meaning of some sort. That's what I think the Happy Squirrel is meant to be.

if the squirrel comes up in a reading its the tarot's way of being "cute" or telling a joke. :) (i just made that up)