2010 Top Ten Decks

Sidhe-Ra

Gosh, I think technically it counts from the release date which was this month, so 2011...but thank you! x

Debra

Anyone want a cookie? :)

Here's how I see it:

Some people think there's a difference between being

Objectively Great!

and

What *I* like--My Favorite!

Other people may think that My Favorite MUST be Objectively Great--no distinction.

It doesn't matter with this voting system how you feel about this question, though. Everyone gets one vote in the "this year" category and one vote in the "of all time" category. No one's forced to explain their reasoning.

So Gregory (shoves cookie toward Gregory coaxingly)--I think your point is well-taken. Whether someone votes for what they think is Objectively Great--but not their own all-time Favorite--well, we have no way of knowing from just the vote.

Me, I *believe* there's a distinction between Objectively Great and My Favorite. However, as I'd like the world to align with my own preferences, I'm campaigning for the two to be seen as equivalent:

Objectively Great = Debra's Favorite

Libra8ca

Chiska said:
It becomes a popularity contest with "favorite" as the deciding factor. "Best" connotates something greater, more universal.

I never thought about the difference between "favorite" and "best" but it's a good point. It's like a figure skating competition - the winner may not be your favorite skater.
Another issue I have with the polls is that you can only vote for one deck (or can you vote repeatedly??). There are many decks out there that are very good but if you can only pick one, then it looks like you don't think the others are good. It might be better to give marks like 9/10 or something.

Le Fanu

Objectively great; Thoth

My personal favourite; probably Victorian Romantic

Is that right gregory?

I did think of the Steampunk for 2010 but the saucy schoolgirls contorting short-skirtedly in a few cards have started to bother me...

zan_chan

Didn't the Deviant Moon win the top spot in last year's All-Time category? Shouldn't that alone clear up any confusion over the issue? If the Deviant Moon (which I do like) is the top of the tarot greatness heap than I really need a new hobby...

Le Fanu

zan_chan said:
Didn't the Deviant Moon win the top spot in last year's All-Time category? Shouldn't that alone clear up any confusion over the issue? If the Deviant Moon (which I do like) is the top of the tarot greatness heap than I really need a new hobby...
But that just shows chronic short-term memory. If I ask *young* people (he says, pompously) what the best film of all time is, they always tell me the one they saw last week.

It always makes me laugh to look at the list a few years ago when people were nominating the Osho Zen... where's that on the list now?

*cue sound of tumbleweed*

zan_chan

If the wording were different and the caregory title was "Objectively Greatest Deck of All Time", do we think the outcome would actually be any different?

Ashtaroot

I really like the Infinite Visions Gloria Jean wasn't that 2010?

strings of life

Debra said:
Anyone want a cookie? :)
Wohoo!

Debra said:
It doesn't matter with this voting system how you feel about this question, though. Everyone gets one vote in the "this year" category and one vote in the "of all time" category. No one's forced to explain their reasoning.
Agreed.

* taps the microphone on the stage *

This is just a poll. Just vote and have fun. I tend to avoid looking at the results in the end as they have absolutely no influence in what I buy or like.

zan_chan said:
If the wording were different and the caregory title was "Objectively Greatest Deck of All Time", do we think the outcome would actually be any different?
No, not at all. Most people wouldn't know the difference.

Annabelle

Le Fanu said:
It always makes me laugh to look at the list a few years ago when people were nominating the Osho Zen... where's that on the list now?

*cue sound of tumbleweed*

Oh I know :)

. . . Just earlier today I was remembering the year that I voted for the Druidcraft as best of "all time" -- I was certain it was the be-all end-all of decks.

I haven't actually looked at the Druidcraft in the last 2 years.

It's probably in some drawer that's slowly filling with those tumbleweeds!