Tarot vs. Religion

DeLani

Ellie79 - while you are right that every person believes their own opinion is "right," not everyone necessarily believes that the opposite is "evil." Just read through this thread; how many here have said about one belief or another, "it's not what I believe, but I respect your belief in it." ?
While you can say that religion has made some very good people, I do believe that humans are by nature spiritual beings. We don't necessarily need organized religion to fill that need for spirituality, but we usually do. What is the problem, is monotheistic religions that indoctrinate (not educate - to educate is to open the mind and encourage thought) their followers that all other religions, gods, and practices are EVIL. And must be destroyed.
While it is very enlightened to respect other religions, and even small-minded ones, as just where each person is at their stage of evolution, you have to take into account the amount of political/social power these small minded cultists (I do call them a cult) have in American society (Southerners, back me up on this one). Every candidate for American president has to go on and on about how Christian he is, what church he goes to, etc. All the way down the governmental heirarchy to the school boards, which in most mid- to small-sized towns are almost totally filled with the Christian right. They crush dissent, they violate non-Christian's rights with impunity (how many jobs have I lost because I'm not a Christian?), and they work hard to put their religious beliefs into law, so that all must obey them.
So, in some instances, you can't just dismiss them as the fruitcakes that they are. Next thing you know, DHS will be knocking on your door to take your kids away, because some "neighbor" accused you of performing obscene Satanic rituals. It happens all the time. If you are going to be an out Tarot reader (at least in the Southern US), you are going to have to expect a lot of this kind of thing. Especially if you have kids.

Aura Wolf

I can't believe how much you've been put through where you live, DeLani. I know it's not just you; but I think you do have bad luck in that area! Perhaps people in certains areas of the country and all countries live lifestyles that cause them to oppose certain things more than others. I hope it's not like that in Idaho :D Where I'll be moving soon...I'm not sure what it's like where I live now (a small town in B.C.) because I don't really know any tarot readers here at all, not a single one (although my friend's mom had a deck of cards, she never used it) and I've never made it known that I am a tarot reader to anyone other than this friend (she's Wiccan), and of course my family knows to some degree and don't mind. But I imagine that there would be a lot of people here that would be opposed to such a thing if they knew (although that's mostly because I think most of the people in my town are complete jerks and very immature, that being most everyone in my old school and a lot of the adults and city council as well). My friend was often attacked for one reason or another, sometimes for being a witch. Hopefully things will be alright when I move. Although it isn't always so.

Kosmos

Well, there's already a LOT of reading on this thread, so let me just say that I identify.

jmd

With regards to the original question, I personally see Tarot as well grounded and established with a firm foundation in esoteric Christian Hermetic principles - irrespective as to how it may also have been accepted and modified by various other movements, whether religious or secular.

Why certain individuals tend to view the Tarot as incompatible with their particular religious view probably varies from place to place, and religious view to religious view.

It seems, however, that within Christianity at least, those with a more Protestant impulse may be more likely to initially dismiss Tarot.

With regards to the Catholic Church, I must admit that I have found some of the views expressed a little mystifying. Many important contributors to Tarot's development, and many of its users, are firm Catholics.

Amongst other Christian churches, there are many who undoubtedly either have no explicit position, or no antagonistic position, with regards Tarot. What they may have are particular views as to how and why they are used. Whether or not we agree with those views, of course, will depend as to where we stand in relation to stated or implied spiritual underpinnings.

It seems that, apart from Islam - with its explicit abhorence of depictions of human beings - no other particular populous religion has, without indirect cause, need to reject Tarot.

As for personal experience, I have yet to meet someone who can claim to legitimately show how and why Tarot should not be used by a member of their religion (again, except for Islam)... in the end, they seem to revert to no other than their own Divine ignorance which they mistake for, and presume to be, knowledge.

purple_scorp

jmd said:
As for personal experience, I have yet to meet someone who can claim to legitimately show how and why Tarot should not be used by a member of their religion (again, except for Islam)... in the end, they seem to revert to no other than their own Divine ignorance which they mistake for, and presume to be, knowledge.

jmd

your statement reminds me of a "revolving-door-discussion" that I seem to have with many different people about astrology. They seem totally ignorant about planets having an ability to be able to affect our lives, yet, when I ask them what control the tides, they always answer "the moon".

Religion vs Tarot, both are very personal things and should be nobody else's business but your own. Perspective is a wonderful thing, if it is not abused.

I do not consider myself a witch but it is interesting to note, from my personal experience, that a lot of people associate Tarot with Witchcraft. I guess some people are just more comfortable with pigeon-holing everybody in life.

I live in a small country town of about 300 people. A couple of friends started a small circle of light and one of the girls was really protective of her community persona. She wouldn't let us discuss any subjects in public and actually chastised me at one point for discussing my spirit guide at a non-circle gathering. Another friend was curious and had asked me some questions. So I was just offering my explanation.

It was just after I'd separated from my husband and my friend told me that discussing topics like that, if the wrong person heard, could be detrimental to the future custody of my children. My husband already knew all about my spirit guide anyway.

This same friend had told me at another time that she had been part of a church that did not accept anybody leaving. She had said that they used to pray that bad things would happen to those that left the church, so that they would, in desperation, return to the church again.

And on a final note, I am not married to my Tarot cards, or any other divinitory tool that I own. However, using these tools is kind of my religion. I believe and have faith in myself. My Aunty once tried to point that out to my step-father who is a Church Elder. He dismissed my beliefs and practices as a load of rubbish.

Yeah, ignorance is bliss!

Cheers

purple_scorp

mj07

how I was raised...

My parents are Baptists (the New England variety), very devout (dad's a minister) and when I was growing up they were even more conservative than they are now. I was taught that playing cards were evil, as was rock music and anything else "secular". The reasoning I remember they gave against using cards was that they were designed by anti-christian person for some king in Europe (notice the ambiguity) and that the joker is supposed to represent Jesus. That's what I remember them telling me. Obviously Tarot is even worse since it's used for devination, which to their mind is directly from the devil and if you do it you're opening yourself up spiritually to become possessed by a demon.

I'm not sure what my parents current beliefs are, but I do know that they stand pretty firm in the idea that objects can be tools of evil. It's kind of weird, the idea that in-and-of-itself a piece of cardboard with a picture on it is dangerous and powerful enough that you could lose your soul!

Needless to say, my interest in Tarot is yet another thing I have to hide from my parents. I know they would completely flip if they found out (and this coming from a 39 yr old!)

Imagemaker

Re: how I was raised...

in-and-of-itself a piece of cardboard with a picture on it is dangerous and powerful enough that you could lose your soul!

And the irony is that for many of us, Tarot becomes a path by which we more clearly connect with our soul, when we couldn't with the rigid, conventional means pushed by fundamentalists.

And sometimes the kindest thing one can do for oneself and the conventional parents is just not bring up the subject--both sides have more peace of mind that way, since neither side's opinion will ever be changed.

DesertHowler

Coping with Religious Beliefs

In my practice of healing, I use techniques that make tarot seem pretty tame in the eyes of some religious people. Two techniques are Reiki/pranic healing/energy medicine and shamanic journeying. To avoid religious conflict, I ascribe my methods to angels...angels have good publicity. I describe energy healing as angels working through me. Shamanic journeying is contacting angels (I don't mention some of my angels have foot-long fangs). I've found most people to be more comfortable with this explanation as it fits their world view much better. I find most people to be quite accepting if I pick my terminology carefully. They want to believe and as long as I don't present conflicts, things work OK.

Of course, my family doesn't count as they don't believe I can do such things as I'm not a religious person [Catholic family, so devout that they have had several virgin births].

I haven't done much with tarot in this respect though. I'm sure it can be made to fit, especially using some of the less recognizable and bizarre decks.

Works for me...

DesertHowler

Imagemaker

Re: Coping with Religious Beliefs

so devout that they have had several virgin births.
LOL! Well, that helps the AIDS crisis . . .

Macavity

"The Brethren believe all that is written is the word of God... The Bible is their one standard, and to that the constantly appeal. The know nothing about the acts of Parliament, articles of religion, catechisms, or rules drawn up. The Bible, and nothing but the Bible, is their guide."

Edward Crowley (1865 - Member of the Plymouth Brethren)

...and Father to a somewhat wayward Son? :D

Macavity