Umbrae goes on a Rant about LWB's

srgnosis

I've found the LWB with the Thoth deck to be extremely helpful. Of course, there's three interpretations involved. Plus, I also use Waite's book, and Crowley's larger Book of Thoth.

And my own intuition, and relations between the cards, and the astrological symbols and kabbalah correspondences, and...

And I'm a beginner. :)

Azarial

I don't usually use my LWB anymore. Now that I got my tarot journal complete, I just use that.

~Azarial~

catlin

I usually keep them

with box and LWB:

1) It may happen that I trade a deck and I don't think it is fair to trade it away without LWB or box when it came with them to me.

2) Decks in boxes usally are easier to store or to take out. I have quite a lot of nice baggies but I really prefer tugging the deck in its box in a baggy and then in my purse (hey, I am Virgo!).

3) I usually don't use the LWB unless I get stuck with something in the deck or I want to know why the artist or creator choose to have card xyz look like this, so maybe the LWB gives a hint about it.

4) The LWB usually fits snuggly in the box.

Emeraldgirl

I keep the LWB with the deck in the box it came in and like catlin in a bag. If it's a large book and deck set like the Victoria Regina or the Celtic Dragon then I get rid of the packaging.

Umbrae

I cleanse my cards on the Gentle cycle, and dry by the light of the silvery moon.

I charge them by plugging them directly into the Bonneville Dam electrical generator - capable of 526,700 kW...that's power baby...

Abrac

Most LWBs are worthless as hell for helping you understand the cards, but they usually contain valuable information for dating decks, determining edition, etc. Didn't read every post. Don't know if this was mentioned already.

fairyhedgehog

Abrac said:
Most LWBs are worthless as hell for helping you understand the cards, but they usually contain valuable information for dating decks, determining edition, etc. Didn't read every post. Don't know if this was mentioned already.
I don't remember ever seeing this point made and it is a good one!

I hang on to all my LWBs, although I don't use them. Now I know why!

yummymallow

Though I definately agree on viewing the LWB as any sort of gospel to reading Tarot cards, I read through them when I'm first starting to "commune" with my deck. I go through it first, get my own impressions, then I want to see what the maker was trying to express in each card. I don't want reduce decks as just replicas of 78 themes, as we wouldn't have so many different decks if there weren't so many different interpretations of those themes. But outside of that, I use my intuition and experience with the Tarot to interpret the cards.