My latest buy: The Ocean Oracle

BodhiSeed

I have to say this is a most interesting oracle. It comes with 200 cards, approximately 2.5 x 3.5 inches. Each card has a photo of a shell on the front; on the back is the name of the shell (both the common name and the Latin name) as well as the divinatory meaning. The set also comes with a book and two fold out sheets that picture all the shells in the set. To use the oracle, you first look at the sheets and pick out shells that you find attractive or are drawn to, as well as shells that you find unattractive or that you have a strong dislike for. The shells are each numbered, so you keep up with the number and whether you like or dislike the shell. You then pull out the cards from the deck that were chosen using the number to identify each (without looking at the backs that have the meanings on them). The cards are arranged by the seeker in a pattern that seems right to him or her. Usually the pattern groups the cards in different sets. The cards in one set are turned over and read together. The meanings of the cards are colored by whether you liked or disliked that card. For instance, a dislike for a card might mean a block or resistance. The meanings of the cards in the set are combined (looked at together). Other sets are read in the same manner. Then all of the sets' meanings are looked at as a whole. This is not an oracle that will be simple to read, but it will definitely be an interesting one. The reading will be something to mull over for several days, looking for deeper insights. The book that accompanies the set does a good job of explaining how she came about using shells, how she arrived at their divinatory meaning, and how to use them as an oracle. The meanings in the book didn't really expand the meanings on the backs of the cards though. I am looking forward to using this deck and becoming more familiar with it!
Many Blessings,
Bodhran

bladeraven

Oh wow...how fascinating and interesting...please please keep us update with this oracle.....

was curious...so do you color the shells you dislike yourself?? They sound interesting and intricate

BodhiSeed

Oops...

Sorry Bladeraven, I guess "colored" wasn't a good choice of words. I just meant that the meanings of the cards change depending on whether you like or dislike a shell. For instance, one card's meaning I pulled was "vindication; being proven right". Since this was a card I liked, it could be translated as "I enjoy being proven right." Oh how the hubby would agree with that! LOL If however I had chosen to dislike this card, the meaning might be that I don't care if people accept my ideas or opinions. Sorry for misleading you!
Many Blessings,
Bodhran

bladeraven

bodhran said:
Sorry Bladeraven, I guess "colored" wasn't a good choice of words. I just meant that the meanings of the cards change depending on whether you like or dislike a shell. For instance, one card's meaning I pulled was "vindication; being proven right". Since this was a card I liked, it could be translated as "I enjoy being proven right." Oh how the hubby would agree with that! LOL If however I had chosen to dislike this card, the meaning might be that I don't care if people accept my ideas or opinions. Sorry for misleading you!
Many Blessings,
Bodhran

Lol..no no..no sorries needed...I had never heard of this deck and I just kept reading over your post about it with delight..and *blush* looked it up...

It just sounded so lovely and different....lol...you must post a review if you can on the decks area..and thank you for sharing this new oracle with us *hugs*

Elven

Hi bodhran :)
Im intruiged. I love oracles and I love shells.
This sounds like a wonderful oracle - very much keeping in with divinitation with the natural elements. (I have ones that use bones). Pity they werent real shells! Though a box of 200 of them would be some price for shipping - and you'd need a rug as a spread cloth. :)

If you ever want to have a practise reading them please join us in the Oracle section for the Soul Gathering Readings. We use just Oracles there. The thread to put your name down usually is up around Wednesdays. Lots of good meaty topics too. I'd be one who would love a reading with this Oracle.

Enjoy your new deck!! :)

Many Blessings
Elven x

BodhiSeed

I guess the only drawback to this oracle is that you need the seeker there with you to look at the shells. It would be impossible to do a reading otherwise, unless the seeker had a set and could tell you the shells he or she chose.
Bodhran

Elven

Could you adapt them in any way? I use Oracles all sorts of ways beyond the instructions. It would be interesting though if you did come up with a method you would like to try out. They sound as if they could be randomly selected(?). Have you tried doing some sort of 'spread' with them?
I have an angel deck which has 3 sets of cards in the one deck. You are supposed to divide them up and read each deck. I do this sometimes, but other times I choose randomly and lay out a spread. They work really well that way too.

Just a thought! :) Keep on havin' fun!

Many Blessings
Elven x

Satori

Hi bodhran,
I know Shelley, the woman who developed this oracle, and I got a reading from her with it once.

The reading was the bomb. Accurate.
Here is how she uses it.

She has her actual cards in aindex card filer, perhaps even two.
She had little title cards, have no idea how they were broken up, but she used some kind of system for it.

Then she has a laminated chart of all of the shells.
She asks you to call out the numbers of the shells you love, as many as you want.

Then she asks you to go back thru and choose a couple of shells you don't love so much.

Then she has you review the lot, and lay them out in a spread of your own device. Which was fun for me as a reader.

Then she reads them. And she kept the two negative ones separate.

It was great fun, and Shelley Hanson is a wonderful person, very loving, very original, very nice.

More later....gotta go eat dinner!

bladeraven

I'm reading this thread and just fascinated by this oracle...it sounds like a delight but intimidating to me now...lol...course being a single mum...I've lost my dayplanner I can't count how many times and I still have a pile of books that I doubt I'll ever finish reading...

Is there a simplify way to use this oracle??

Emeraldgirl

This sounds like a really interesting Oracle. Do you have any scans of the cards or other info?