Readers and Collectors of Tarot and Oracles

Tarot Oracle Reading Collecting Poll

• Total voters

squeakmo9

I love the study of tarot and enjoy reading with other students here. I actually find tarot very helpful in bringing certain internal issues to light.

VGimlet

I say 5 percent, but it's probably half that, since I only use 4 or 5 decks on a regular basis.

I've been a serious reader for a long, long time, but a collector for only 5 years or so.

I don't really think of myself as a serious collector though - there is only one of my collector decks I am unlikely to read with. I bought the second edition specifically to use as a reading deck. Although, there are a few decks I won't riffle shuffle....

la-luna

Well if I really have to choose I would describe myself first as a collector and in the second place as reader, only 5% of my collection is used for reading – and most of those decks I have a spare of, for my Hermetic Tarot even 2.
But personally I prefer the term tarotlover and this in all it’s aspects, the first thing I look in at a deck is its style do I like it is it interesting, the second thing I look at is could I read with it. The first condition is a must the second a bonus but there is so much more I love my decks for like study, meditation, pathworking, brainstorming and even relaxation exercises.

Mimers

I consider myself a collector and reader for sure. There are many decks I have simply for the artwork or because I know they are going out of print soon. I love looking at the artwork of all the decks out there even if I don't read with them.

Surprisingly with all those decks (over 100) I usually only read with the Tarot of Prague and the Tarot of Dreams. I can and am willing to read with many other decks in my collection, but these 2 are usually the ones. I study with the RWS, Tarot of Prague, Blue Rose and Merryday. Other decks I read with are, Victorian Romantic, Full Moon Dreams, Illuminated, Ancestral Path. I figure this to be about 5%.

Mimi

Sophie

I am a reader first and foremost. But I have become a collector in the past two years - almost by chance, though I am a happy one! I just love those beautiful cards :D

I like to do exercises which will stretch my reading skills, so I have read with all my decks, and every now and then will take out an unfamiliar one. But I do have some core decks for regular reading.

Like jmd, though, I call myself a tarot enthusiast - I like the history, the mystery, books and discussions on tarot. I love archetypes and myths. I can happily spend an afternoon going through some decks, reading or just gazing at them, playing at various exercises, and writing my thoughts (on ATF or my other forum, or in a notebook). I love chatting online with people about tarot, drawing cards, discussing various aspects of symbolism, etc.

ilweran

I'm mainly a collector and very few of my decks have been used for anything other than admiring the art. I did start off reading- and trying to read with every deck I bought- but over the years I read less and bought more :D

It was partly a time thing- I got a boyfriend, then a job. Maybe when we get our own place I'll have more time- and space- to study again.

jackdaw*

Despite my best intentions, I'm still a collector primarily. But I also ticked "interested in all aspects..." because I am not only reading with them but trying to learn more about their history and symbolism.

Papageno

ilweran said:
I'm mainly a collector and very few of my decks have been used for anything other than admiring the art. I did start off reading- and trying to read with every deck I bought- but over the years I read less and bought more :D

It was partly a time thing- I got a boyfriend, then a job. Maybe when we get our own place I'll have more time- and space- to study again.

:laugh: I know the feeling. I started the learning process back in '93.
like another poster on a different thread once commented........for years I was happily living in my own little world with just a few decks I always read with, completely unaware of the incredible variety of decks by so many wonderful artists and then the internet changed all that.
very innocently I was looking for some tarot images to use as computer wallpaper and I found a tiny image of a card by Folchi (4 of Pentacles - the Ferrara deck I think it was, very appropriate don't you think) and I loved it so much it made me crazy.
one thing led to another and the rest is history.

AngelC

The way I do things I'd say I use 100% of my decks.
Some days I feel like using a certain deck so I go find it, some days I just put my hand in the basket and pull one out and stick with that for the day.
Sometimes a deck stays on my reading table a couple of days or more before I pick a new one. It's all about my mood.

Of course there are those I use more than others, some I haven't touched for weeks but eventually I will pick them again.

Hm, it's a little like pulling a card, instead I close my eyes and pull a deck and go from there :) works for me.

Sulis

I don't consider myself a collector yet I have a collection.

All of my deck purchases were meant as decks for reading, many in the search for 'the deck'.

Now I have around 6 decks out of my collection of around 40-50 decks that I do read with and out of them I have 3 or 4 that I read with regularly.