new froud book

greenbeans

Does anyone have the new Froud book yet?

It sounds gorgeous-

"Brian Froud's World of Faerie" by Brian Froud (foreword by Ari Berk) is a lavishly beautiful 10" x 13" Hardcover book featuring 174 pages of full-color illustrations spanning 30 years of Brian Froud artwork. Over 300 full-color illustrations!"

believe it features big versions of pictures only seen previously in the Faeries Oracle (Dark Lady, Bright Mother, Himself)

I can't afford it right now but I'm DYING to see those pictures on big beautiful pages. Yay!

There is a pretty little trailer for it on the website

http://www.worldoffroud.com/www/online/movies/wof.cfm

and you can flip through a few pages of the book

http://www.worldoffroud.com/www/online/movies/wof_flip/index.html

pickled pixie

Thanks for posting this Greenbeans! The book looks wicked but a bit pricey....Guess I'll have to wait and see what Santa brings ;)

pp xxx

Guiding Cauldron

wow this is fantastic! although the shipping would keill me financially :( maybe someday teh goddess will bless... :)

thanks for shareing greenbeans!!

greenbeans

yeah, tis pricey. His books are usually worth it though, hardback, full colour etc...hopefully if I drop enough hints my other half will get me the book as a nice bday present.

btw, nice to see 2 other fae friends from the uk!

Alissa

Very pretty indeed! And it looks like a lot of new illustrations too, something for my list.

Jewel

Thanks for sharing, most definetly going on my X-mas wishlist! I will make myself wait for this treat. I own all his other books with the exclusion of Lady Cottingham, and love them. I so wish he would do another deck, one that could be used as an expansion deck or on its own, to go with the Faeries Oracle. That would be so cool. But I don't think there are any plans for that. Too bad!

greenbeans

Yeah, I have a lot of his books too. None of his earlier 'illustration' work but all of his later Faery themed books. Basically, I'm obsessed!

My favourites are Faeries, Good Faeries Bad Faeries and Runes of Elfland. These 3 books have taught me more about Faeries and myself than a whole bookshelf full of folklore and encyclopedias. I think this new book may have a place alongside these three!

I also own six Lady Cottington books, they're quite different, sort of silly Monty-Pythonesque humour, also quite wistful and Victorian (which I love!). The Journal is fun-it has different Faery celebration days.

Then there's Goblins! and the Goblin companion, neccessary reference works for anyone venturing into our cellar, lol!

Froud's Secret Sketchbooks is a bit different, a slim volume which reproduces pages from his sketchbooks. Little figures seem to 'come alive' on the page- Faeries being revealed to mortal eyes by the artist-visionary.

Jewel, I agree, what my collection is missing is some Runes of Elfland cards! On the Froud Forum, Ari Berk (who write the text for Runes) said he still wants to do these. And at the Faery workshop Froud spoke at last year he said he wanted to make some Goddess cards. The problem is, he has so many creative ideas, (he also mentioned films!) I think only some of them ever get the go ahead! We can keep hoping and dreaming though!

faunabay

For all of you in the US that don't want to pay shipping.....I found this at my local Borders!!! I went in there to get something else and guess what caught my eye? LOL I immediately went, "oooohhhhh aaaahhhh" (giggle). It's absolutely beautiful!! And it's fun to read too!! I can't tell you enough how everyone has to have one!!! :D This is my favorite Froud book now!!

greenbeans

ooh, did you buy it Faunabay? Does it have many of the Faeries from the oracle? Is it as lovely as it looks? (Can you tell I'm green with envy!?)

faunabay

greenbeans said:
ooh, did you buy it Faunabay? Does it have many of the Faeries from the oracle? Is it as lovely as it looks? (Can you tell I'm green with envy!?)

Of course I bought it!! What do you take me for? ROFL

It's beautiful!!! And yes it does have some of the oracle faeries. It's got Himself, alot of the singers, The Bright Mother, The Sage, The Dark Lady, the Journeyman, and some others.

But there are also some absolutely gorgeous new faeries too!!! There's one that is a faerie knight on his horse, both in armor - his wings the same glowing bluish, silvery color as the rest of him and his horse. But he almost looks invisible, where you can see some of the grass and bushes through him. And there are all sorts of small faeries in the picture around him in the grass.

There's also a section that is based on Alice in Wonderland with a faerie that's standing in the center of the page with tarot cards flying around the air around her. She's dressed in striped pants, a ruffly blouse with a long burgandy jacket flowing around her - very cool.

And the cover is "Hestia, a Faerie Queen of great importance. She holds the mask of living flame, bright with the fervent fire that burns away deceptive illusion, piercing into the pure, undisguised heart of all she encounters."

I could go on and on!! I love this book!!! There are just amazing new faeries that I connected with immediately. I think everyone needs this book!!! :D