Wanderwust Lenormand. My first creature.

eldritchgreene

Hola Amigos! My name is Eldritch, I'm quite new around here but I already love this deck creation community, it's fantastic!

I've decided to jump aboard the deck creation ship and wanted to share my first (proper) attempts with you.

I work as a costume designer and very often dabble with graphic design. I do a lot of repurposing, modifications, alterations, etc. for my costuming work and I tend to apply that DIY spirit to other things as well, so I've made my own “versions” of Tarot decks for personal use in the past. Gilding, aging, changing colour palettes, redesigning, resizing. I've experimented.

Recently I went about making my “ideal” Lenormand. I realized I didn't have a go-to deck and I basically admired different qualities from all the decks I use for my readings, so I went ahead and started assembling my ultimate deck. I wanted a classic, traditional Lenormand with a modern twist, eventually I came up with my very own creature and decided to call it the Wanderwust Lenormand.

I took my favorite antique cards, a C.L. Wüst Lenormand from the 1890s, and remixed them. I started with a clean modern layout and then did all sorts of modifications, including changing the colour palette by leaving the card symbols in full-colour and setting the backgrounds to monochrome (achieving a sort of pop-out effect.) I also made new Man and Woman cards to use for same-sex readings, and added in playing card inserts and card backs from other antique decks I love.

You can read more about how this Franken-Lenormand creature came alive on my blog: http://www.wanderingoracle.com/introducing-the-wanderwust-lenormand-deck/

I liked the result so much I decided to put it out there for others to use so if you like it you can get your own copy! I made it available to purchase for a limited time at the beginning of the month. I've done this as a pre-order so I can ship out all decks at the same time (on August 31) Copies are only available for six more days (until August 25) I'm looking for ways to maybe have the Wanderwust as a print-on-demand offering in the future, but for now it's only available this way as a Limited Edition, check it out here: http://www.wanderingoracle.com/product/wanderwust-lenormand/

I would love to know what you think!

I also designed a free print-at-home Lenormand for download on my blog. I created this with the classic and simple illustrations found on a few antique French and American decks from the early 1900s, the idea behind it is to be able to customize the cards to your liking. The design is a cute square-ish layout with simple line-work, so colours, notes, markings (metallic paint?) can be added in freely to the final product. (Ideally printed on card-stock paper). The deck can also be printed on regular paper and used for learning, exercises, journalling, and other imaginative endeavours (stickers?).

The free DIY Lenormand is available to download here: http://www.wanderingoracle.com/product/free-lenormand-deck-diy/

My ultimate goal is (baby-steps) to create a Lenormand fully designed by me, I've developed concept art and started “illustrating” it by teaming up with my best friend who is actually (ahem) talented as an illustrator, so I hope to be able to share some of our work on that with you soon as well.

The other Lenormand I would most like to own/buy/create (my true ultimate) would be a Halloween-themed deck, I'm into a nostalgia/vintage/americana approach has anyone tried this before?

I'm only acquainted with the Samhain deck by sevenstars (so pretty) and I recall seeing another one with grey backgrounds somewhere. October is just around the corner so if anyone makes or finds one make sure to let me know! Otherwise I'll have to convince my brother (another talented artist) to draw one for me for use during the holidays.

Thank you for reading, I look forward to contributing on this board and checking out all your Lenormand creations!

(wink) Eldritch

IHeartRescues

Wow! That really perked me up! I may just have to consider your franken-Wust lol. I just said on here the other day that the old cards weren't "rally" my thing, but I am very drawn to this newer spin and it looks great! The hi-lighting makes so much sense. Also enjoyed reading your homepage. Congrats :)

eldritchgreene

Wow! That really perked me up! I may just have to consider your franken-Wust lol. I just said on here the other day that the old cards weren't "rally" my thing, but I am very drawn to this newer spin and it looks great! The hi-lighting makes so much sense. Also enjoyed reading your homepage. Congrats :)

Thank you so much IHeartRescues, I'm so glad you like the deck! I tried to mix all the things I love from different cards, thank you also for the kind words and for visiting the website it's a work in progress I only started it a couple months ago, still working on some sections :) I'm also designing new features (I would love to have a Lenormand keywords page for instance) and will be adding a couple new products to the shop next month.

Truly, Gracias!

(wink) Eldritch

eldritchgreene

The other Lenormand I would most like to own/buy/create (my true ultimate) would be a Halloween-themed deck, I'm into a nostalgia/vintage/americana approach has anyone tried this before? ... I'll have to convince my brother...to draw one for me for use during the holidays.

I convinced him! http://www.wanderingoracle.com/product/halloween-lenormand/

Edit: Forgot to say the Wanderwust is also back in stock in an economique/regular edition.

Padma

I love your Wanderwust deck! Love how the coloured symbol pops out from the background. As the symbol itself is the all important thing, this will help in readings. I have blown my deck budget for this pay, but next paycheck! })

Your brother's artwork is nice, too. Interesting concept for a deck.

eldritchgreene

I love your Wanderwust deck! Love how the coloured symbol pops out from the background. As the symbol itself is the all important thing, this will help in readings. I have blown my deck budget for this pay, but next paycheck! })

Your brother's artwork is nice, too. Interesting concept for a deck.

Thank you Padma! It really does help, that's one of the reasons I decided to go ahead with it. I remember when I started with Lenormand I used to get confused when reading a Grand Tableau looking for things, is that the Table? :)

We had so much fun making the Halloween deck! We did try to keep it as classic as possible, so only little references here and there, simple layout and of course playing cards.

Happy fall season! The Wanderwust patiently awaits. ;)

Padma

Grand Tableau means large blackboard, or large chart, or a large picture. I a leaning towards the "large picture chart" :) (I am French, btw.)

I am looking forward to ordering the deck!

eldritchgreene

Grand Tableau means large blackboard, or large chart, or a large picture. I a leaning towards the "large picture chart" :) (I am French, btw.)

I am looking forward to ordering the deck!

Oh yes! I'm Mexican so it's easy for me to understand french, large picture chart sounds good to me! I meant some of the classic designs have items on tables like the Mice, so it would confuse me sometimes. :)

Me too!

Padma

Oh, haha! As usual, the Lenormands are being so very literal. If I think about it what they are really saying by Grand Tableau is "The Big Picture!" :laugh: ;)

I agree French is very similar to Spanish. Both are Latin based languages. When I read Spanish text, I can usually figure most of it out!