Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

SolSionnach

thorhammer said:
:party::D:party:I'M DONE!!!!!!:party::D:party:

How happy am I!!! I got all motivated and sat down this afternoon to finish off the last five cards, then typed them up and posted all the remaining cards to the Study Group, as well as the spreads I've designed for each level of the Tarot Tree.

Done.

Over.

I'm going to pack this deck up and move on. I think it's well overdue.

Come on, everyone, join me in a drink! I'm just going to duck out to change my sig . . . :D

\m/ Kat
Wow, just wow!
Congrats, woman! What a solid accomplishment (which will live as long as the AT forum does!).

Oh, and thanks for coming up with the whole IDS idea, too. That's another feather in your cap! :)

Nina*

*sneaks in*

Ahem... I think, I'll give this another try. With a new deck.
I'm tired of buying and searching, so now I'll simply settle for one.

I hope. :D

rwcarter

Nina* said:
*sneaks in*

Ahem... I think, I'll give this another try. With a new deck.
I'm tired of buying and searching, so now I'll simply settle for one.
No sneaking allowed, young lady! You walk into the IDS loud and proud with your chest pushed out! :laugh:

But don't leave us hanging. WHICH deck are you gonna choose? Enquiring minds want to know! (But take a note from sravana and make sure it's a deck that lends itself to study....)

Rodney

Emily

Congratulations Thorhammer :D

Nina*

rwcarter said:
No sneaking allowed, young lady! You walk into the IDS loud and proud with your chest pushed out! :laugh:

But don't leave us hanging. WHICH deck are you gonna choose? Enquiring minds want to know! (But take a note from sravana and make sure it's a deck that lends itself to study....)

Rodney
*noisy bumping through the door*

:D

The Robin Wood. That's okay? Sravana??? Please????

SolSionnach

Nina* said:
*noisy bumping through the door*

:D

The Robin Wood. That's okay? Sravana??? Please????
lol Nina*
Actually, I have no idea if it's okay, I've never seen that deck, and I have no idea if it's 'thin' or not.

That being said, it seems to me that I read somewhere in this forum that the book is pretty deep in explaining the symbolism... and if that's the case, then I imagine that it would be a good choice. :)

If you look around, you'll see that the folks who have been the most successful with their IDSes have been those who chose decks with deep symbolic structures... or the TdM. Decks like Liber T, New Orleans Voodoo, Wheel of Change etc. I don't think that most RWS clones qualify, unlike the RWS itself (which no-one, to my knowledge, has IDSed with!), but if the RW does have a detailed book, then it should be good to go.

Only time will tell... and I'm quite interested in how you make out! :)

Nina*

Yay! :D ;)

The Robin Wood actually is pretty deep when it comes to symbolism; it's definitely not just something that's apparent in the book. But yes, the book is fabulous in explaining it all too.

I agree about the need for depth; personally I'd never be able to spend more than a few days with a, as you call it, ''thin'' deck.

Anyway, I'm really interested in how I'll make out too. I do have this terrible habit of changing decks all the time.

Hemera

rwcarter said:
Hemera,
Re: the Study Group, it really did help me to take a long term approach to it instead of looking for short term gratification - what I wrote might not be useful to someone until years down the road; but it would be there for the right person when they needed it. And even if I'm no longer part of AT (banish the thought!), my words will be there for as long as AT exists and probably even longer the way everything on the net is cached somewhere these days.

Rodney

Well, when you put it like this, all I can say is: :bugeyed:WOW:bugeyed:

This is a stupid question I´m afraid...but is there something I should do next?
I mean.. I have been chosen by my deck and I have entered the door here. So what next?
I was thinking of posting in the Study Group thread (esp. after what Rodney just wrote:) ) and I keep writing stuff in my Tarot Journal about my Faerie tarot deck. Is there something else I should/could do?

rwcarter

Hemera said:
Well, when you put it like this, all I can say is: :bugeyed:WOW:bugeyed:
Didn't mean to scare you! :laugh: Was just trying to put the whole Study Group thing into perspective. :D

Hemera said:
This is a stupid question I´m afraid...but is there something I should do next?
I mean.. I have been chosen by my deck and I have entered the door here. So what next?
I was thinking of posting in the Study Group thread (esp. after what Rodney just wrote:) ) and I keep writing stuff in my Tarot Journal about my Faerie tarot deck. Is there something else I should/could do?
What you should do next is whatever you feel like doing next. If journaling and posting to the Study Group feels like enough for you, then it's enough. If you want to start offering readings with your deck (if you feel comfortable enough with it to do that), then do. If you want to try some additional study methods, check what I've done in the AET Study Group. If you want to do Daily Draws, then do that.

Except for people trying to creep in the door ;), we're a fairly freeform group of folks here. I doubt any 5 of us are doing exactly the same thing with our decks.

HTH,
Rodney

PolarBear

sravana said:
If you look around, you'll see that the folks who have been the most successful with their IDSes have been those who chose decks with deep symbolic structures... or the TdM. Decks like Liber T, New Orleans Voodoo, Wheel of Change etc. I don't think that most RWS clones qualify ...

I think it may depend on how much tarot knowledge you have to start with. I have been using the Llewellyn which is (mostly) a RWS clone but it has been fine for me.

I started my IDS because I felt that I was still at sea with the basic meanings of many of the cards, so I guess this was really a Tarot 101 rather than an in-depth exploration of a particular deck. I deliberately chose a RWS clone (I just don't really get on with the original!) because I wanted something that was universal and would give me a base for reading other decks.

I can understand the problem that more experienced readers are having with "thin" decks, but I'm sure I'm not the only tarot beginner on the list (please someone come out of the woodwork and tell me I'm not alone! :)

I started my IDS with the idea of doing 3 months, and am now coming to the end of, I think, my fifth, maybe sixth month. I've stopped counting the days and am now counting down the cards (only five more majors to go!)

Once I've finished going through all of the cards I'm going to take a break (I have some annual leave coming up next week, so that would seem like a good break point) - then I may come back and spend some time doing daily readings (which have fallen by the wayside rather as I found that I could either study the cards or read with them, I didnlt have time to do both. And for me, at this stage in my tarot knowledge, they were seperate activities, rather.)

Nina, I also have a copy of the Robin Wood, and nearly did my IDS with that. It is, if not a RWS cone, at least one that has recognisable RWS influences, (so good for beginners like me) - but I can well believe the people who say it also has a lot of symbology! One of those deceptively simple decks. Maybe I'll do another IDS with that!

Cheers,

PolarBear