Help identify this stone: Carnelian?

Marirowana

Last week I bought this beautiful gem on a market, but the seller didn't know which stone it was. I was walking by and I couldn't resist buying it :D It was calling my name.

It looks a lot like a Carnelian, especially the 'structure' of the stone, like you see in the first picture. But it is much darker red than I have ever seen in a Carnelian, and I have never seen one with those white veins, either. Those white lines are smooth, you can't feel them.

What are your thoughts?

Size is ca. 12 x 8 cm

The 4th picture is a picture of my other Carnelian, for comparison.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Red1.jpg
    Red1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Red2.jpg
    Red2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Red3.jpg
    Red3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Carneool.jpg
    Carneool.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 284

Tigerangel

I'm not sure but also looks similar to some red agate that I've seen although the veining structure looks a bit different.

Marirowana

I'm not sure but also looks similar to some red agate that I've seen although the veining structure looks a bit different.

Thanks Tigerangel - I found some pictures of red agate that look a lot like my stone :)

I did some more searching on red stones, and i think the red jasper is a good candidate as well, those white veins are more common in the jasper I think.

Red Jasper

SilverCloudedWolf

I think it's carnelian, I have a palm sized one that has the same white flecky bits.

Tanga

"Carnelian?"

Yes Marirowana - that is Carnelian. I have several pieces large and small. One of them is very similar to this one.

Kristyjnh

The opacity of the stone makes me think it's a Red Jasper, Carnelian usually has a slight glassyness or transparancy to it. Carnelian does not usually have inclusions such as the ones in your specimen. Red Jasper is also from the Quartz family (the two have similar hardness so you can't use that test to differenciate) and usually has inclusions (http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/graphics/jasper-gem-large_info.jpg). It is always opaque, even when thinly cut or so it says in the source below.

"Jasper Clarity and Luster
Jasper is always opaque in clarity, even in thin slices. It is known to take an excellent polish and exhibits a fine, vitreous to dull luster." - http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/jasper/jasper-info.php

"Carnelian Clarity and Luster
Carnelian ranges in clarity from translucent to opaque. When held against the light, carnelian stones can exhibit an unevenly distributed transparency, often appearing cloudy. Carnelian has an attractive vitreous to wax-like luster when cut and polished." - http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/carnelian/carnelian-info.php

So I'm leaning toward Red Jasper, but that opinion is by no means infallible.

Marirowana

Thanks!

That piece looks a lot like what I have! Thanks for sharing :)

I think it's carnelian, I have a palm sized one that has the same white flecky bits.

Yes Marirowana - that is Carnelian. I have several pieces large and small. One of them is very similar to this one.

Thanks, SilverCloudedWolf and Tanga! They really have those bright white veins, too?

The opacity of the stone makes me think it's a Red Jasper, Carnelian usually has a slight glassyness or transparancy to it. Carnelian does not usually have inclusions such as the ones in your specimen. Red Jasper is also from the Quartz family (the two have similar hardness so you can't use that test to differenciate) and usually has inclusions (http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/graphics/jasper-gem-large_info.jpg). It is always opaque, even when thinly cut or so it says in the source below.

(...)

Thanks for your detailed answer, those sites are very useful :)

I'm confused by the opacity, too... it is hard to see on the photo's, but it is actually does have a bit of that glassyness you'd expect from a Carnelian. I'm pretty sure that a thin piece will let the light shine through, like a quartz. But then, those white stripes...

Yesterday I was sure it was a red jasper, today I'm more leaning towards carnelian...

SilverCloudedWolf

I *think* I've managed to add some pics of my carnelian...

See what you think :)

Attachments

• Carnelian.jpg
    Carnelian.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 246
  • carnelian4.jpg
    carnelian4.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 239
  • carnelian2.jpg
    carnelian2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 246

Kristyjnh

Okay, seeing the bottom it looks more like a Carnelian. So I did a little more internet scouring and if you scroll down on THIS page to Eye Agate, I think it resembles one side of your stone. Carnelian is a form of agate, and in fact, Carnelian can have eyes too.

I also found this tidbit, "Having the same chemical make up as Agate, when Carnelian grades into brown it is known as Sard. When it contains bands of white, it is known as Sardonyx. In addition, some very dark brown Carnelian can be classified as Jasper. The distinction between these is very fine and relies more on visual appearance than scientific analysis. As a result, it is very possible that one man's Carnelian may be another man's Sard, Agate or Jasper. Chemically, Carnelian is composed of Silicon Dioxide, SiO2, and gets its red color from Hematite (Iron-Oxide, FeO2) impurities. Many Carnelians offered today are Agates which are dyed and then heat treated. Natural Carnelian will usually exhibit a cloudy distribution of color." - http://www.controverscial.com/Carnelian.htm

If you really want to be precise, you might want to call Natural Agate, or Red Agate with inclusions. It has the same chemical composition as any Chalcedony so you can call it a Carnelian or Red Chalcedony or Agate. It sounds like it is mostly up to your own discretion. Maybe if you know a Geologist...