Opal, What's your story?

Wonderwoman

How interesting! It seems everyone has a different take on the opal. Thus far, I'm still gathering as much info on it as I can. I really want to get something special for my daughter , something to accompany her and remind her I'm always there..

I don't own an opal myself, but I have been told that the opposite is true. An opal is good luck only if you receive it as a gift. It is bad luck if you purchase it yourself. At least, that is the "True Story of Opals, According to River's Irish Mom". :laugh::laugh:

Wonderwoman

Magnifies sexual energy?!?! Okay now I may have to reconsider lol. The thought of my one and only daughter out in college running the streets with this will keep me up at night. lol
Maybe I can put a protection blessing on it?

QUOTE=Tanga;4948327]What Opal curse???

Huh. Lol.

I got a Fire Opal as a graduation present (an aeon ago) - a small pendant.
I love it to bits and wear it when I'm working in my home treatment room.

Opals - are supposed to magnify sexual energy - which includes creativity of course. ;)[/QUOTE]

ben Anat

My understanding is that opals are only bad luck if you break them. Since opal is such a soft stone and becomes brittle when exposed to water, it breaks even more easily than most common gemstones.

I would not put a lot of stock in these superstitions. I believe that all crystals' energies are inherently neutral. But if you approach opal from the standpoint that it is going to harm you, then guess what, you're gonna have a bad time.

celticnoodle

I'm very interested in buying Opal as a gift for my daughter who has just been accepted to college. I keep reading all these stories that it's bad luck, brings negativity.

What are your experiences with Opal? Good and Bad..

Would you recommend a person buys their own Opal instead of accepting as gift? Does that remove its curse/bad luck?

Thank you,

Ww :)

I think it would make a LOVELY gift! Opal happens to be my birthstone and I was gifted my first opal ring by an aunt at the age of 13. It is a rather large stone, white base with many colors in it.

I was told to rub oil into the stone now and again, as it will crack otherwise. I don't do that very often, tbh--but I do it now and again. It is a gorgeous ring that is now 43 yrs old and still looks great!

I also have other opals--also white based, with colors but the ring above is truly my favorite of all my opals. I have a few pairs of earrings and a necklace that is also beautiful.

I can't believe such a gorgeous crystal would bring a curse onto anyone anymore then having 07 years of bad luck if you break a mirror. I think this would be the perfect gift for your daughter! It is a great stone to help the owner achieve mental clarity, and guides the owner to be a leader as well as helping with creativity and most importantly while in school--MENTAL RETENTION! :D This gorgeous crystal may be just the thing for a kid going off to college, I think!

_R_

Classic Reference Work

Take a look at Kozminsky’s “Magic and Science of Jewels and Stones” for a thorough study of the subject under all its aspects.

https://archive.org/details/TheMagicAndScienceOfJewelsAndStones

Pages 293-294 deal with the negative reputation of Opal, and dismiss most of the allegations as rather recent, and indeed, baseless.

celticnoodle

interesting book. thanks for the link!

Padma

I would double up with GotH in saying that the opal will magnify feelings, as many water element stones tend to do, so best to wear it in sunny moods!

I also go with the others who state there is no curse upon the stone. And that it is indeed a soft stone, requiring special care. If you look up sites on opal care, you will find tips for cleaning and storing it so that it will remain in good condition.

Lastly, for the lore of it supposedly bringing bad luck, or bringing bad luck upon breaking, is, I believe, just superstition.

I think it is a lovely stone, and will be a beautiful gift. :)

_R_

Further to the earlier reference to Kozminsky, I consulted some obscure books in my library and present this brief excerpt from an Italian work:

"Here is a gem with a bad reputation, opal, attributed to Mercury for its kaleidoscopic polychromy (often substituted by agate because of its rarity), is judged unfavourably. On the other hand, it is said that by contemplating its cloudy fires, one may predict the future, or be forewarned of approaching danger. Whence the bad reputation? It may be that knowing in advance what fate holds in store was not well considered" [i.e. by the "tradition", in inverted commas, given what Kozminsky has to say on the matter].

Curiously, Kozminsky does not mention this supposed property of opal.

barefootlife

I wouldn't put much stock in bad rumors about opal - I've always felt drawn to it. Do look for one with a lot of 'fire' to balance out its more watery aspects, and I agree that rings (and possibly bracelets, if you have an active daughter who wears her jewelry often) are a bad idea, as it's a very soft stone. A pendant seems perfect. Mom (who doesn't believe in any 'new age woo-woo') seems to be in better, more giving moods when she wears a stunning blue opal on a long chain that reaches her heart chakra. Unfortunately, it only gets brought out for special occasions because it's an especially beautiful and dressy piece of jewelry. I've never gotten to wear it myself, so I can't speak to how it makes me feel.

celticnoodle

Last night, the hubby and I watched a show on crystals that was a NOVA episode and is available on NETFLIX. It had a bit on opals as well as other crystals. Very interesting and I highly recommended it.