Herbal Tarot - Ace of Wands - Yarrow

Soaring Eagle

You can see the minor arcana cards of Constellation 1.

Description: A hand, emerging from a cloud, is holding a large wand and yarrow stalk. Another cloud has rays of sunshine pouring onto the distant mountains in the background.

Significant Details: The rays of sunshine signify happiness, enthusiasm, and joy. The wand represents will. The yarrow stalk represents healing and women’s issues.

Keywords: Excitement, Enthusiasm, Passion, Inspiration

Medicinal Uses: “Yarrow induces sweating and contains cineol, a natural antiseptic. It also contains a substance which hastens the clotting time of the blood following injury, thus its common name of Nosebleed given it by country people is justly deserved. It regulates menstruation, reduces blood pressure and heals bleeding piles.” Culpeper’s Color Herbal. It was still being used to treat soldier’s wounds during the American Civil War. Native nations also used yarrow for cuts, wounds and bruises, and drank the tea for fevers and sickness. Yarrow promotes sweating and is a traditional remedy for colds and flu. American Nature Guides Herbs by Anna Kruger.

My Interpretation: This is a time of new beginnings, ideas, and actions. You may be contemplating making a fresh start. You may feel content and happy during this time. This is a time of inspiration and enthusiasm for you. You may be feeling at-one with your life right now.

Number Significance: 1 - The Self, Ego, Will, Singularity of purpose. The Aces are in Constellation 1 with I Magician, X Medicine Wheel, XIX Sun, and the Tens. 1 – Communication; Self consciousness; Individualization; Self-expression; Initiative; At-one-ment; Originality.

Thoughts/Points to Ponder: The Ace of Wands is ruled by Pure Fire. Yarrow is ruled by Venus. “The ancient Chinese threw yarrow stalks when consulting the celebrated book of divination, the I Ching, and employed the herb medicinally. The Greeks knew of its healing properties and the herb may have been named Achillea after Achilles, who reputedly staunched the wounds of his soldiers with yarrow leaves.” American Nature Guides Herbs by Anna Kruger. I found it interesting that the ancient chinese used yarrow for divination purposes.