Borderless Rider Waite Smith, help!

Shade

The best advice I ever heard on the trimming process was Lisa Refalo's "If you need your decks to be perfect - don't trim them."

I had fun results creating a Lenormand out of an extra copy of the Witchy Tarot but I kept those words in mind and the understanding that it wouldn't be "perfect" in the end.

FaintlyMacabre

If you miss - it's all over. With scissors you can see exactly what you are doing and in the awful event that you're slipping, you can stop with just the tiniest nick - as the one I made in my trimmed pink. The rotary - it was over before I saw, if you see what I mean. It's the level of control.

Perhaps I have some tools you don't, like the marked, see-through rulers and so-forth and the cutting mats. It's why you don't cut your quilt pieces with scissors. However I just happen to have all this stuff.

Thanks - I was wondering if I'd missed something.

Diana

reall

Lynn Sparrow posted on FB that USGames is considering publishing a borderless Rider Waite deck. She inquired about a preference for the subtle Centennial deck or the regular USGames colors. Many people already responded positively and most seem to prefer the subtle colors. If anyone wants to weigh in:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Tarotmarketplace/permalink/461126710764058/
YeY!:)) this is good news for all of us who lack *precise coordination with sharp objects!^^ XD lolz :))

gregory

Perhaps I have some tools you don't, like the marked, see-through rulers and so-forth and the cutting mats. It's why you don't cut your quilt pieces with scissors. However I just happen to have all this stuff.

Thanks - I was wondering if I'd missed something.

Diana
I do have the see through marked rulers and cutting mats etc. But things can slip - and it only takes a microsecond slip to RUIN a card. But if you are better at it than I - that's wonderful. I shall stick with scissors.

FaintlyMacabre

I'm not bragging until I succeed at it, Gregory. I need the "gripper" dots for rulers anyway so they're coming too. Thanks. Since they need colored, you'll likely never hear from me again.

Diana

firecatpickles

What I've done in the past with trimming regular playing card decks is ignore the fronts and trim the back patterns evenly. Not sure if the fronts would naturally line up with any tarot deck the same way...

Le Fanu

I should just add that if you have this stuff, then great. If you don't, then (calling all readers of this thread) please don't feel there is any necessary equipment. Just good scissors. And time. Why practice on anything? Surely people know how to use scissors? Just use them slo-o-o-o-o-o-wly. My trimmed decks never came out completely even, but I'm fine with that. They feel like old-fashioned hand cut ones. Like those books where you had to slice open the leaves with a paper knife and it made the page edges uneven.

However, I once got a deck from - I think - Pipistrelle (?) - a trimmed Trevisan Crystal and it was enviably trimmed to impeccable perfection. God knows how she did that- I wonder if it was just scissors?

gregory

I'm not bragging until I succeed at it, Gregory. I need the "gripper" dots for rulers anyway so they're coming too. Thanks. Since they need colored, you'll likely never hear from me again.

Diana
Who says anyone is bragging ? My Thoth turned out PERFECT, which surprised me; my Pink has a nick but even if it had been MUCH worse, the relief of losing the business card bit was such that I wouldn't have cared ! But I do have a BEAUTIFULLY trimmed and gilded deck done by someone else here - I don't know how she did it but it's awesome. I also have one that I bought used, and didn't at first recognise (long story) - but until I finally managed to identify it I thought it had COME that way. THAT's how good ! I don't have gripper dots though - that may well make a difference.

Well, I don't think I do.....

FaintlyMacabre

I should just add that if you have this stuff, then great. If you don't, then (calling all readers of this thread) please don't feel there is any necessary equipment. Just good scissors. And time. Why practice on anything? Surely people know how to use scissors? Just use them slo-o-o-o-o-o-wly. My trimmed decks never came out completely even, but I'm fine with that. They feel like old-fashioned hand cut ones. Like those books where you had to slice open the leaves with a paper knife and it made the page edges uneven.

However, I once got a deck from - I think - Pipistrelle (?) - a trimmed Trevisan Crystal and it was enviably trimmed to impeccable perfection. God knows how she did that- I wonder if it was just scissors?

Agreed. I just have a bunch of rotary cutters, mats and rulers (and scissors for that matter). I wouldn't say buy them if you don't need them. If I get that far, I will likely use the nail clippers like Padma suggested for the corners. Deckle edges.

(The missing ruler had sandpaper dots, but now they seem to be made of something clear which should be better for this anyway. I will see when they come.)

Diana