Wonderland Tarot in a Tin

Grizabella

I just thought I'd drop by this sub-forum to talk a little bit about the Wonderland Tarot in a Tin that's out right now. I ordered it with the intention of giving it to my great-grandson eventually. He's five years old now and this would be a great time for him to have his own cards.

As a child's first deck, I think this would be a very good choice. The tin is sturdy and can be carried around by a child without causing damage to the deck. The art work is quite simple but I think a child would find it interesting and entertaining and that they could easily make up little stories without ever needing to know how to read words or knowing the intricate details of Tarot.

The Death card has no scary image for a child, especially if the child can't read. The word "death" is on the card, but the image just shows the Queen of Hearts saying "off with his head" as she stands pointing past Alice, with a sort of sandwich sign little guy lying on the ground. He's still got his head so there's nothing to scare a child. Even if the child could read the word, the imagery is definitely not anything upsetting.

The Lovers card shows Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. The Justice card shows a man standing on his head which could easily be confused with the Hanged Man, which is a lobster being held upside down by this tail but I don't think this would be any problem at all for a child who couldn't read yet.

So in short, here's a deck that would be very appropriate for children. I know we get asked the question regularly about what decks would be a good choice for a child, so here you go. These are the best ones I've seen for children.

nisaba

It sounds good!

For children (and adults as well!) I have long liked the Whimsical deck, not least because it was designed by a personal friend ... I particularly like that The Emperor is Santa Claus.

Barleywine

Personally, I never thought the story was strictly for children, and I'm not so sure the deck is either. Some of those characters seem just a little too "pinched" and scurrilous for the innocent mind. I could see it being use to read for children. It's actually one I want for my own collection. The last I looked it was still a pre-order; will have to go look again.

nisaba

Some of those characters seem just a little too "pinched" and scurrilous for the innocent mind.

Did you ever watch the Road Runner cartoon? Or Rocky and Bullwinkle? All the very best children's characters, that the children relish and remember later with fondness, have an undercurrent of dire adultness in them.

No child is totally innocent: I was a child, and I remember. :)

Barleywine

Did you ever watch the Road Runner cartoon? Or Rocky and Bullwinkle? All the very best children's characters, that the children relish and remember later with fondness, have an undercurrent of dire adultness in them.

No child is totally innocent: I was a child, and I remember. :)

Kids certainly understand confrontation, cruelty and violence (even simulated). It's satire I'm not so sure about. Of course, I was a Rocky & Bullwinkle fan, so I got it at an early age. But someone once said there is nothing on Earth as cruel as a little boy, and I definitely wasn't immune!

By the way, I'm grateful the deck doesn't have the Disney version of the characters. (Probably couldn't get the license, or it would have.)

Grizabella

Personally, I never thought the story was strictly for children, and I'm not so sure the deck is either. Some of those characters seem just a little too "pinched" and scurrilous for the innocent mind. I could see it being use to read for children. It's actually one I want for my own collection. The last I looked it was still a pre-order; will have to go look again.

I ordered it just a few days ago and it arrived already.

If you're so inclined, there's a book that's extremely interesting called the The Uses of Enchantment. I've forgotten who by, but this man really explains why children are not traumatized by those graphic old fairy tales I grew up on and why they're actually valuable for them. Your library probably has it if you want to see what it's about. :)

Genna

Wonderland Tarot actually was my favourite tarot until I got Alice Tarot. I will have to get this version in a tin.

The story was told for three little girls at first (Alice and her sisters), and never ment to be published, but of course Barleywine is right and it is also for adults. Themes from the time, especially those that affected Alice life, came into the story, and as the author worked, it got more sophisticated.

It was the first childrens book without morality; written only to amuse, and the first childrens book with a girl in the leading role. I never tire of the book, nor of the sequel "Through the Looking-Glass" nor of the original illustrations by Sir Tenniel, and Wonderland Tarot has illustrations very like those.I guess the little boy will like his first deck very well.

When buying decks for children; try to buy one extra, as they tend to lose cards, and might like to have the extra set for when they have grown up.

banbha

The images are lovely and story is appropriate for children, but I remember reading here on the forum that the Wonderland was not an easy deck to read with. I agree with Barleywine in seeing it more used in reading for children. But at five is he going to be reading or deeply learning from this deck or becoming introduced, playing and, using his imagination? :)

I like the Halloween Tarot in a tin for children. It's easy to use, basic RWS. The cartoon images are appealing. Like Nisba I like the Whimsical Tarot too for young children. I'm holding on to one for my niece as a first deck. It's another US games deck, maybe they'll tin it some day.

Genna

The images are lovely and story are appropriate for children, but I remember reading here on the forum that the Wonderland was not an easy deck to read with.

Hi, I wonder if they ment the fact that Swords are Flamingoes, Cups are Hats, Wands are Peppermills, and Pentacles are Oysters?
This goes very well with the story, but takes some time to land when you are used to Rider-Waite. But the pictures are otherwise very Rider-Waite inspired.
On the other hand, as a first deck, you do not much care if you read Wands or Peppermills.
It is a fun deck and it is small, as if made for a childs hands.

banbha

Hi, I wonder if they ment the fact that Swords are Flamingoes, Cups are Hats, Wands are Peppermills, and Pentacles are Oysters?
This goes very well with the story, but takes some time to land when you are used to Rider-Waite. But the pictures are otherwise very Rider-Waite inspired.
On the other hand, as a first deck, you do not much care if you read Wands or Peppermills.
It is a fun deck and it is small, as if made for a childs hands.

Yes, true and true on the last points. The Halloween Tarot has the same issue but the choices are less nonsensical: Coins are pumpkins; Imps are wands; ghosts are cups; and Swords are bats.

Having not seen it, I'm not sure why Wonderland was deemed a not easy to read deck; but I have to assume there is more to it. I refrained from ordering it. I'm limiting my collection to decks I'll likely use, not everything that catches my fancy. And tinned decks are so ever fanciful. :)