The After Tarot

bogiesan

I was quite surprised there are no comments other than the review by medusawink. I stumbled across the book/deck set at Barnes and Nobel today and just had to pick it up. I am not qualified to tell you anything more than my reactions: I love this deck. The concept is terrific and appleals to me at a gut level. My second tarot, back in 1972, was an Albano-Waite, found on a dusty shelf at Mythras Books in La Jolla CA. I replaced that old friend many times with Waite-Smith copies and clones. I remember every illustration vividly.
Pietro Alligo and Giulia Francesca Massaglia have copied Pamela's art precisely, even down to the crosshatching and shadow lines in the clouds. It's a lovely tribute with an artist's reverence presented with a startling temporal twist.
Corrine Kenner's accompanying book, Afterthoughts, is a fun read; she's added some good material and the cards are grouped by numbers rather than simply presenting them in numerical order.
I Should wish Ms Kenner had spent much more time and space making direct visual comparisons between the three decks (original W-S, After Tarot, and Tarot of the New Vision) and perhaps telling us the story the artists had in mind for each progressive image in addition to her suggested interpretations. I find the greenish tint sadly distracting. Take any of the W-S decks (except the facsimiles) and you will see rich and vivid colors. This deck is more like the Centennial or the other reproductions of early printings, a bit subdued in color values and it appears the project's art director, perhaps not the artists themselves, decided to add this green pallor. It is an unnecessary affectation.
If you have the New Vision deck, you will want this one, too.