Reviving the Fairytale tarot study group ?

cardlady22

I'll look through things and get back with you, Onyx. Your local library might be the best resource. Inter-library loan is an incredible thing!

I think Dover Publications has a series of books edited by Andrew Lang: The Blue Fairy Book, the Red Fairy Book, etc.

Xavier

@Sulis

Thank you for updating the studygroup index

@Onyx

Well, don't worry too much about hunting the full stories : I have already done it for myself for the first cards. The only one that has been evading me is a public domain translation of the tale of Libuse, by Jirasek. I know it's been treanslated in english (I found mention of a translation by a certain Bessie Barborka) and the translation should be old enough to be public domain, but I can't find it on the net. Some derivation of this translation, written in 1922 can be found here :
http://books.google.com/books?id=Zr...l5zcBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

but it cannot be considered authoritative.

Also, Onyx, you will be able to follow most of our discussions by turning to the official site for the deck, where you can find about 80% of the cards scanned (I suppose they didn't scan them all so as to avoid theft of their work).
http://www.fairytaletarot.com/majors.htm

And yes, the companion book has only abdridged versions of the tales, but Karen Mahony has done a good job at writing them, and has kept almsot all important elements in her summaries (except in the most complex and evocative tales, like the Nightingale by Andersen for example). Nevertheless, reading the full story is always interesting, if only for literary reasons.

@all

within a couple of hours, I will post the full text of "The poor miller's boy and the little cat" at the end of the (pre-existing) Fool thread, as an official start for the revival.

I propose we do one card a day (with of course the opportunity to come back later to previous cards)for 5 days, and evaluate the pace and format of our discussions at that time.

see you soon.

DaisyDragonfly

A good website to use is SurLaLane fairytales (will hunt out link and post). They often have multiple versions of a story, along with any annotations or links to research.

Xavier

Hi.

I have now posted the full story for the fool, as well as my own comments on the card (in two separate posts).

Please turn to http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1869997 to read the story (you may have to scroll down a little). And please let's start the discussion.

See you there !

Onyx

Xavier said:
Also, Onyx, you will be able to follow most of our discussions by turning to the official site for the deck, where you can find about 80% of the cards scanned (I suppose they didn't scan them all so as to avoid theft of their work).
http://www.fairytaletarot.com/majors.htm

That goes to show just how observant I am. I would look at the site images and just asssumed they were all there. I guess I would get too wrapped up in the images that they showed to not notice that the High Priestess was missing.

Thanks for the head's up.

Onyx.

eta: I just got e-mail notification that my deck has been shipped. It looks like next week it should be here.

Xavier

I know I have said that I would restart one card-thread a day for five days, but I will wait until at least someone else comments on the fool before I post the full story of "The magician".

I want to be sure I will not be alone in the revived study group. :)

If it the discussions do not take off, I will probably just study the deck on my own and publish a collection of the most (self-proclaimed :) )interesting analyses I have made on my web site.

But I am still confident we can revive this group.

Take care,
Xavier

Onyx

Thanks!

Xavier, I think it is a great idea to create an index in this thread for our revival and continue to use the original card threads for the study.

This will allow our revival to contribute to the whole study effort and allow us in this revival to keep track of where we are.

I am still waitung on my deck and book. Since the card is not posted on the MRP site nor is there a copy of the story I am at a loss.

As soon as I get it I will review it and post. If you want to move on for momentum sake then go right ahead.

Just wanted to affirm that I am with yoU.

Onyx.

Onyx

I got my deck today and boy is it pretty and overwhelming.

Stuck in traffic for nearly an hour I had time to check the delivery status on my phone and I was in agony as I had to wait to get home to get it.

Love the coloring and the artwork, knew I would.

Diving into the book now and the the deck.

I will be back up for air in a couple of hours.

Onyx.