Phantom Of The Opera Tarot deck?

Purrfect

Last night I had a thought about the above a P.O.T.O deck. I imagine copyrights would be impossible to get. Or maybe one has already been made?
what do you think is there enough in Phantom Of The Opera to make a tarot deck?

any thoughts on this please?

thank you

I cant get the idea out of my head.

(sorry I think this is meant to be in talking tarot)

starlightexp

I think there is enough to do a deck with plain pips. Thinking about the Chandelier as the tower
The final showdown down in the phantoms layer as justice
Madam Gerrie the ballet teacher could be the High Priestess
A young Eric could be The Fool
The Phantom himself could be The Hanged Man
Raoul as The Emperor
The journey across the lake as The Chariot

Purrfect

Those are all great ideas StarlightExp. The idea came up in a dream last night. I was told to do it.
I dont think I would tackle the drawings as, I dont believe I'd do it justice and I am a perfectionist at heart.
Maybe someone here might get inspired by it. There seems to be a lot of fan art scattered around the web on the subject but not as a tarot deck. The motion stills might even make lovely cards (copyright aside for a moment).

starlightexp

Well as long as it's not from the ALW musical they should be fine. The original 1910 story is in the public domain so SOMEONE could do something with it I'm sure .

Purrfect

There use to be a pinball machine of it around in the early 90's. It's always been around me since childhood
Maybe the 1910 Phatom of the opera you have mentioned Starlight will help someone further.

Storm82

love the musical.... would be interesting if there was a tarot deck

Cerulean

I am glad those voices are still talking to someone....

The voices of Phantom of the Opera are haunting someone again! How lovely...do they have the French accents?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=431604&postcount=1

I was enchanted with the movie version because the beginning and ending was so haunting and some of the performances were so...deliciously "gothic" novel.

I read somewhere about this--that in the book version "Eric" pulls two tarot cards--it was another forum for Phantoms of the Opera, so I don't think we're supposed to link to another forum where they discussed characters and tarot as part of their fascination...

But here's resources should someone do this deck;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_of_the_Opera

There is a graphic novelization and while I did a storyboard with Secrets Tarot...and dropping in some Gothic Tarot of the Vampires cards...back in 2004...I had a version by Barry Laroux, but it's packed away somewhere.

Hope someone goes through with this, because it is a romantic version of Beauty and the Beast that I adore...and when I see the MRP Beauty and the Beast, I'm reminded so many tales, too little time...

At the moment I'm tangled up with other ghostly stories and music when I can, though tarotlike archetypes are singing away their lovely voices...

Greg Stanton

If you're willing to forego the ALW musical, the original material is no longer under copyright. The novel is very entertaining, and quite funny too. There's more detail to draw from -- especially in the form of "The Persian", the detective in the story (the Pope?). Erik is NOT the magician -- he is the Hanged Man, the Hermit, and the Devil.

Interesting, never thought of this idea before...

Purrfect

I havent seen the rock opera version. That sounds promising.
In trawling the net for different decks I did find something which has quite a few images relating to the Phantom Of The Opera. The Favole tarot

http://www.interhobby.net/tarot/viCard.php3?Code=562&divideID=IC

Knave,Knight,King, queen of masks.Masquerade Scene Likeness.

King of flowers - certainly reminds me of the phantom. He is even holding a single rose!

Raoul could be seen in the card of the Devil as Raoul means of "wolf Counsell".

There are so many cards in that deck I see with links to The Phantom. Although there isnt one directly named Phantom Of The Opera I'd say the above Favole isn't far off track.

The Fool even reminds me of a young Eric!

I wasn't sure which Gothic Tarot you meant but Leilah Wendell version.
The Lovers card would be apt. The magician In The Gothic tarot of vampires would also be an idea for a lovers card.

I'm hoping I am stimulating someones inspiriation here.

The storyboard Cerulean sounds interesting! Unfortunately he wasn't speaking in French in my dream. He had a nice soothing English accent though but, became forthright with his ideas for the tarot deck.
If only I could draw what I saw in my dream!

I have seen several versions 2004,1943, listened to the version with Michael crawford in the 80's. Never seen the Rock version yet it sounds intriguing.
There is a version apparantly which I've just found Bill Nighy is in. 1990.

Thanks for your input Greg,Cerulean,Storm82,Starlightexp.

I could go on but have to head offline.

yukinkoicy

Oooh. this sounds so interesting! I would love to see something like this come to fruition. :)