Morgan Greer

jcwirish

I just received this deck in the mail, and I love it! It's funny, because I had never given it much thought, until I was enabled here by some of the talk about it (I'm looking at you Sulis!). I love that its borderless. I love the colors and the size of the deck, and I love that the images are more of a close up shot of the characters.

I know we all get excited about all of the new and exciting decks that come along, but it sure seems that some of the good old standbys are often the best decks for so many reasons. I can see why this one has stood the test of time.

So, what are some of the older decks you own that you would choose over the newer and, perhaps more beautiful decks being produced right now? I can already tell this is going to be a favorite of mine.

Le Fanu

Glad you're enjoying your Morgan Greer!

I have gone back time and time again to the decks that either got me into tarot in the first place or brought me back into the fold "after long years".

I have gone back so many times to the Rider Waite (of course), the Minchiate and the Ancient Italian. I have fallen in love with these decks time and time again...

BodhiSeed

I love my Morgan Greer too!:D Some of my other older faves: Albano-Waite, Aquarian and the Sacred Rose.

strings of life

^ All of those, literally, are favorites.

What a great story. My Morgan-Greer means everything to me. And, I seem to post about it whenever the opportunity arises. I got it via a trade after reading about it, and when I got it, that's all it took. I'll always remember that it came from MoonGypsy too :heart:. Funny, I use that Belgian USG version more than my Morgan-Press. I just associate it with something more...

We all have stories like this :).

KafkasGhost

Yessss, Morgan-Greer and Aquarian lover here, too!

They may not be as "sexy" or flashy but they are really good, reliable friends.

jcwirish

Thanks guys. I love hearing everyone's stories. My first deck was the Albano Waite, and the MG has a similar feel to it. It's got a pure feeling if that makes sense? There's no tricks or hidden messages, it just is what it is, straight forward and reliable.

This is a bit OT, but I just started shuffling it and it is doing that thing where it shuffles beautifully face up, but when I try to shuffle it face down, the cards fall in big chunks. Do you know what I mean? Is there a way to remedy this so it will shuffle more cleanly face down?

Miss Divine

KafkasGhost said:
They may not be as "sexy" or flashy but they are really good, reliable friends.

Ha, I think the lover's card IS sexy in the Morgan Greer.;)

I love this deck too. I bought it twice, because I'd gotten rid of it one time.
Yeah I know...Dumb!
Needless to say, I missed it so much I bought another copy.

jcwirish

As I go through the cards over and over again, I'm taken back to my carefree childhood in the 70's. For me the 70's was a comforting time. I'm thinking roller disco and Dittos, and the words "BaBaBaBenny and the Jets" are floating through my head. I love it!

OctoberGwen

I love my Morgan Greer, too. It's both my first deck (man, I was SO young then, LOL) and also the one that brought me back to tarot. I'll never forget that feeling when I held the cards again after so long. Thank God I never got rid of it; I can't imagine being without this deck.

Lots of decks have passed through my hands, but the Greer is one that I would never part with.

jcwirish

I'm sitting here listening to ELO and reminiscing. This deck already feels like an old friend.