Fire Tarot

Le Fanu

Aerin said:
"We are putting the price up and don't want to have to sell it to you at what we promised."
I hope not. I was debating buying it (on & off the fence) and finally caved in even though it was listed at 17 euros. A basic non-kit LoS deck for more than 17 euros is not usual...

I thought "what the heck" and ordered. Too impatient to wait for it to go down to 14-15 euros...

Aerin

Le Fanu said:
I hope not. I was debating buying it (on & off the fence) and finally caved in even though it was listed at 17 euros. A basic non-kit LoS deck for more than 17 euros is not usual...

I thought "what the heck" and ordered. Too impatient to wait for it to go down to 14-15 euros...

They (BD) are offering it on amazon.co.uk marketplace - I looked just now.

Le Fanu

Well I have my Fire Tarot. It arrived today and I have to say I am massively impressed. This is one fabulous deck. As soon as I opened it up and started looking at the cards I just knew I was going to love this one passionately. I'm so glad I hadn't seen extensive scans. It does make a difference when you see it for the first time in your hands.

The artwork is superb; sharp, clear, exquisitely executed and each card is a single, uncluttered, very striking & memorable image that stays with you. It is so sensual and exotic and multicultural (with folklore and myth from Africa, Japan, India, Aztecs and all manner of places and cultures and deities all based on fire, its creation, its abuse and misuse). I think - for me - it may well be the best artwork of an LoS deck, it has something of old master painting. It reminds me slightly of old colonial art of the Americas.

Without a doubt the most impressive of the recent LoS releases. May even turn out to be one of the best ever for me. Such haunting imagery. Nothing jarrs. And the fact that it is fire doesn't make it feel elementally limited, as each suit deals with a different aspect, i.e Cups deals with the quenching aspect. Fabulous courts too (don't ask me to scan as I don't have a working scanner).

I'm very impressed. It feels like a deck for grown ups. Well done LoS. I truly love this one.

gregory

What he said :thumbsup: (Even the arrived today bit !)

More when I am not invalid-sitting !

Eyebright

I'm glad there are others who like this deck! I loved mine from the moment I got it. I even appreciate the courts now, (when I first got the deck I was a bit perplexed by them).

No-one seems to be talking about this deck, but I agree with Le Fanu. It is a real gem from LoS. I hope more people buy it, and realise that it is a knockout!

Aerin

Mine should be arriving soon.

I wasn't going to get it but you lot persuaded me.

Le Fanu

Eyebright said:
No-one seems to be talking about this deck, but I agree with Le Fanu. It is a real gem from LoS. I hope more people buy it, and realise that it is a knockout!
I think that is because it hasn't gone into wider distribution yet. I don't even know if those in the USA can get it.

I love everything about it, the strangeness, the quality of the artwork, the sense that each image is so dramatically different. There's some very clever things going on here. Things you just don't expect, that make you need a second take. This is that very rare thing; a deck where you don't even ponder whether it is RWS or not. It is just so unique. I'm only just now getting round to asking myself this. I suppose if you looked it might be vaguely RWS (6 of Swords; going upstairs, OK... 7 of Pentacles, Nero fiddling while Rome burns) But why would you do that? The imagery feels very allegorical, snapshots of mythic moments.

If you need a boat on your 6 of Swords or three swords and a heart on your 3 of Swords, this deck might leave you a bit bemused. It feels extraordinarily liberating to me though. I love how the Knaves don't have people on them. A court card without a person. Nice. And the Knight of Wands without a Knight (love that too; I loved it when they did this in the Nefertari.)

Love it. A real boundary-pushing deck.

Aulruna

Mine arrived too!!! This Gemini with Sagittarius rising and a Sagittarius hubby is delighted ... finally a deck which sparked lots of interesting ideas again!

After the Fey, the Lo Scarabeo, the Dark Grimoire and the 2012: Ascension, this is another LS deck that will make it into my "regular reading deck" staple.

Did I say WOW??

rwcarter

Le Fanu said:
I think that is because it hasn't gone into wider distribution yet. I don't even know if those in the USA can get it.
My Amazon pre-order said May 13-18 when I placed the order back in November. So I still have a month and a half unless by some miracle that boat catches a really fast current.... :laugh:

Rodney

Cerulean

My oh my oh my...

I saw the Lovers and said...My...oh..

I saw the King of Swords and said...Oh...my...

I saw the Queen of Wands and said...My..oh...my......and if you knew me, you would grin, as the childish figure looking at the vision and the vision reaching for the childish figure...and it's name...

Sometimes the under-played, under-scripted decks really sing! Even though the LS Wizards Tarot kit is too over-scripted for me, the Wheel of the Year is somewhat over-prettily razzle-dazzle......the Fire Tarot is like a warm ember brightening, so much more the Wheel of my Year in my old hearthfires...

No book, probably, but this one would inspire me to make my own study guide. People across time hoped and sang to gods of the elements, especially those who warmed and kept the hearth and home so warm with life for humanity.

Cerulean

P.S. Rich palette, smoky gorgeous like the Sienna-style of Tarot of the Grail and the humanity is wonderfully varied...back is gorgeous firebird double-ended and the box is the prettiest purple...

Le Fanu said:
Well I have my Fire Tarot. It arrived today and I have to say I am massively impressed. This is one fabulous deck. As soon as I opened it up and started looking at the cards I just knew I was going to love this one passionately. I'm so glad I hadn't seen extensive scans. It does make a difference when you see it for the first time in your hands.

The artwork is superb; sharp, clear, exquisitely executed and each card is a single, uncluttered, very striking & memorable image that stays with you. It is so sensual and exotic and multicultural (with folklore and myth from Africa, Japan, India, Aztecs and all manner of places and cultures and deities all based on fire, its creation, its abuse and misuse). I think - for me - it may well be the best artwork of an LoS deck, it has something of old master painting. It reminds me slightly of old colonial art of the Americas.

Without a doubt the most impressive of the recent LoS releases. May even turn out to be one of the best ever for me. Such haunting imagery. Nothing jarrs. And the fact that it is fire doesn't make it feel elementally limited, as each suit deals with a different aspect, i.e Cups deals with the quenching aspect. Fabulous courts too (don't ask me to scan as I don't have a working scanner).

I'm very impressed. It feels like a deck for grown ups. Well done LoS. I truly love this one.