Salvador Dali's Tarot

Original Destiny

Having had a symbiotic relationship with the Tarot for over 40 years I now find myself having to alter my viewing point. Ive always had the need to fill my brain with new stuff, over the decades Ive studied many subjects and recently I embarked on an Art History Course. For my last assignment Im writing an art review on Dali's Tarot so I have to approach the deck from an artistic stance. I would love to hear your views on this deck both as a work of art and as a working deck.

Le Fanu

As a working deck I cannot work very effectively with it as a number of cards are misidentified, so I never know whether to read the The Devil as The Devil or - as it is labelled - The Fool, and vice versa.

It's a shame as I think it is a lost opportunity, but there are a few switches which make the deck - IMO - unusable. I like some of the imagery and the colours and the playing around with art history iconic imagery.

I'd heard that this was done with the influence of his girlfriend at the time. Amanda Lear and that Dali had very little interest in the tarot but saw the opportunity and got something toegether with her influence (and in a rush!)

But this deck, because of his name, features in many books on tarot.

rwcarter

As a working deck I cannot work very effectively with it as a number of cards are misidentified, so I never know whether to read the The Devil as The Devil or - as it is labelled - The Fool, and vice versa.
According to Pollack's companion book, those cards are not misidentified. She says in part about the Devil:
Dali's card resembles the most popular version of the Fool, that of someone dancing on a cliff. Curved horns lie hidden in the tangled hair, while the body appears hermaphroditic as a symbol of unrestraint.... The dark ectoplasmic arms pushing him suggest destructive desire.... To reach enlightenment we must first pass through darkness. The initiate must embrace all suppressed urges, all hidden desires....

What other cards do you think are misidentified, Le Fanu?

firecatpickles

I have heard that that only the Majors were designed by Dali and that the minors true creator or creators is questionable. Has any one else heard this rumor?

gregory

I've heard that the whole thing is questionable. There was an article I saved.... Just a sec while I find it; I'll be back....

ETA here you go. Enjoy...

Attachments

• Dali article.pdf
    367.7 KB · Views: 271

Le Fanu

Great article... I knew Amanda Lear was in the story somewhere.

Oh and rodney. The World has a devil and some people chained up. Erm...

But kudos to Amanda Lear; the only person I know who designed a decks of tarot cards and recorded classy disco records. Not many of us can boast these dual talents })

firecatpickles

"How a body can bamboozle the tarot..." Ouch.

PathWalker

Some scathing commenst on Rachel Pollack too! Gosh.

rwcarter

Oh and rodney. The World has a devil and some people chained up. Erm...
Pollack is less convincing in her description of the World. But Feibig in his companion book does a better job. He recognizes the references to both the Chariot and Devil in the image and likens the image to one of world-weariness compared to the relatively happy image usually conveyed by the card. He says the three figures are the Graces and they are helping the world to advance, with the ropes/chains representing a dependency on time and space and the linking of one's existence to the existence of all others.

I have many copies of this deck (I've recounted the story elsewhere), but have never used it. I have both companion books for the day when I do have a go at trying to understand this deck.